CKNW - Jimenez stayed until off-season

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Jer Bear
Rookie

LFITQ wrote:
Tighthead wrote:
Jer Bear wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/news/story/2006/07/26 ... nalty.html

Don't see anything about a suspension there, but what do I know? I just read credible sources like CBC which obviously don't state the facts, eh?

Back to Jurineack... When you look at the 3 incidents at hand (Jimenez, Gass, Jurineack) One of these things is not like the other. Jimenez possibly ends a man's carreer on a cheap shot, Gass throws a helmet across the field and is lucky he didn't hit someone with it, while Jurineack hits a quarterback during live play only a split second after the QB dished the ball off. Jimenez and Gass blatantly went above and beyond the criteria for a suspension while Jurineack's suspension was extremely questionable at best, it was a situation where arbitration was used to actually have justice served unlike where Gass and Jimenez are quite obviously just using it as a stall tactic to get to keep playing.
I ask again - what if Jiminez is cleared?
It won't matter. He doesn't wear green. that's exactly what Jer Bear boils it all down to. He still can't quite understand the point I was making to him.

He said that it showed the type of character a player has by taking things to arbitration. I gave him 2 examples of where Rider players have done it. But those are ok in his books, he's spun it so his comments won't have a negative impact on the Rider players. So even if an arbitrator comes out and says "no rules were broken and it was just an unfortunate accident that happens in the playing of football" Jiminez will still be a jerk because he took it that far.

I would bet that Jer Bear is also one of those rider fans that was all upset when the ref ejected two Rider linemen in the game against Hamilton because the video replay didn't show any reason for the ejections. You know the thing that Tillman and Austin got upset over and then got handed fines. So because there was no video evidence of wrong doing in that case it was wrong for the Riders to get ejected and fined, even though it was being based solely on the word of a ref.
HEY!!! WAIT A MINUTE! That scenario sounds awfully familiar??!!!!???!! :shock:
HEY!!! WAIT A MINUTE! Weren't you the one that accused me of putting words into other people's mouths? Well I'll be, looks like you just put a whole whack of words in my mouth. I will guarentee you right now that the arbitrator will not say Jimenez is completely innocent. In fact, I am so confident in the fact that the arbitrator will find Jimenez guilty that if for some strange reason he is found innocent I will leave this board never to return again. Man, it is a good thing we're not debating this in person because I'm pretty sure I would've punched someone out by now :lol:

EDIT- It's 2:48 here in Saskatchewan, I'm exhausted and I'm going to bed but I will be more than happy to continue this tomorrow morning. I look forward to seeing some more posts when I wake up
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Jer Bear wrote: IF he is cleared (which I would doubt he would be, but who knows, Wally will probably end up being the arbitrator) the CFL will lose a lot of credibility in the eyes of a lot of fans.
Too late. That already happened when the cowards at league HQ failed to suspend Perry.
Jer Bear
Rookie

FOR WHAT!!? Holy cripes you guys are the ones who are arguing that 'it's unfortunate that a player gets hurt but if it's inside the rules' yada yada yada. It's a two way street. What the league says should always be the final word on the matter. Unforunatley in the Jimenez case it is not.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Jer Bear wrote:FOR WHAT!!? Holy cripes you guys are the ones who are arguing that 'it's unfortunate that a player gets hurt but if it's inside the rules' yada yada yada. It's a two way street. What the league says should always be the final word on the matter. Unforunatley in the Jimenez case it is not.
I knew that would work *snicker*
#1 Lions Fan in SK
Starter

You know, I have to go along with Blitz here about how football USED to be played as well. Bad injuries, even career ending injuries are not always an illegal or dirty play. I recall in the late '80's when Hebeler took out I believe it was James Bell (broken neck). Everyone felt awful about the hit, injury and the end of Bell's career, but Hebeler was never called dirty. No one ever implied that he did it deliberately. Everyone attributed it to being an incredibly unfortunate accident in a very physical sport.

I feel very bad for the Calgary player (won't even attempt to spell his name). I sincerely hope that he is able to come back next season. It sounds like he is going to give it his all. As an avid Lion's fan, I also really hope Jimenez was not out to intentionally injure him. My ultimate hope is that if Jimenez's hit was illegal, give the suspension. If it was legal, let's put it in the past. Does anyone not think that Jimenez is feeling bad about it as well? JMO
#1 Lions Fan in SK
Starter

KnowItAll wrote:
Luke wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:Jimenez, and murphy, do not have the rep they have throughout the league by being boy scouts. Clearly there is good reason to beleive the worst of him in this situation based on his rep.
Overall, I think their reputations have been overblown. For most of this season, Jimenez has performed very well. He hasn't taken as many penalties as last year, and he's been one of BC's most consistent lineman. In this particular instance though, I think what Jimenez did was dirty, and that he does deserve to be punished.
well, I think the other players around the league know and see more than the refs do. That there has no been many penalties only means they are good at not getting caught very often.
You're absolutely correct. And most of the defensive linemen in the league has all said to the media that the BC OLine is not dirty (anymore than the rest). They just play a hard agressive game.
CXT

Jer Bear wrote:the fact that he has clearly done something to warrant suspension and he is so inhumane that he won't sit out 1 game. .
As a personal friend of Jason I find this post particularly hilarious.

1. inhumane is the last word that comes to mind when thinking about Jason
2. fact that he has clearly done something?----where you there? do you have a video tape that shows more than everybody else has seen? I suspect that most of the people on the field calling this a dispicable hit where not even looking at that part of the field until after the guy was on the floor in pain. If the play is supposedly going on 15 yards down field why are so may people concentrated on these 2 linemen? My guess would be the ref wasn't even looking till he heard the guy on the ground screaming.
3. Football should be played till the end of the whistle. the defensive lineman should have been running towards the play. The offensive lineman should have been trying to stop him. It seems to me that during this hit only one of the lineman was playing to the whistle. Does that mean he was "blindsided"? No. That means he was on the field during the play, and should be expecting to get hit.
4.when 300 plus linemen go at each other sometimes injuries occur. I remember a few years back in a NFL training camp where Jimenez and another lineman where engaged and accidentaly rolled over and injured one of their coaches.
According to Jer_bears assesment of Jason's character he probably did that on purpose too. Mad the coach made him do to many laps or something?
slowhand_bc

Lowell Ullrich reports that "I have talked to a number of his teammates, a number of whom play very close to Jason Jimenez on the offensive line and their words are to the effect that it was one of the most despicable things they have ever seen."
Tighthead
Legend

Slowhand - I have no doubt it was cheap. However, every sport has cheap shots that are not technically against the rules.

I also think Jiminez will be gone next year - if lots of players feel that way, it is likely time to move on.
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

All I know is that we're a better team with Jimenez in the lineup than without him. The fact he'll be available for both of these games should we advance that far is great news for us. But it also shows that the CFL really needs to fix the way they handle matters like this, we'll take it for now though! I hope JJ flattens every 'Rider defensive lineman possible tomorrow! :rockin:
Jer Bear
Rookie

CXT wrote:
Jer Bear wrote:the fact that he has clearly done something to warrant suspension and he is so inhumane that he won't sit out 1 game. .
As a personal friend of Jason I find this post particularly hilarious.

1. inhumane is the last word that comes to mind when thinking about Jason
2. fact that he has clearly done something?----where you there? do you have a video tape that shows more than everybody else has seen? I suspect that most of the people on the field calling this a dispicable hit where not even looking at that part of the field until after the guy was on the floor in pain. If the play is supposedly going on 15 yards down field why are so may people concentrated on these 2 linemen? My guess would be the ref wasn't even looking till he heard the guy on the ground screaming.
3. Football should be played till the end of the whistle. the defensive lineman should have been running towards the play. The offensive lineman should have been trying to stop him. It seems to me that during this hit only one of the lineman was playing to the whistle. Does that mean he was "blindsided"? No. That means he was on the field during the play, and should be expecting to get hit.
4.when 300 plus linemen go at each other sometimes injuries occur. I remember a few years back in a NFL training camp where Jimenez and another lineman where engaged and accidentaly rolled over and injured one of their coaches.
According to Jer_bears assesment of Jason's character he probably did that on purpose too. Mad the coach made him do to many laps or something?
I am sure that off the field he is a great guy, but then again I bet the Calgary D-Lineman that got taken out with a cheap shot was a great guy off the field too. None of that really matters too much during the game. It's how you act during the game that people will base their evaluations on. I'm all for playing 'till the whistle but when you're taking out a guy who's supposedly 15-20 yards behind the play after the end of the play or at least very near to the end of the play doesn't it seem a tad uneccesary to deliver a devistating cut block to the back of the legs? No, I haven't seen the film as I've said before. But I am basing my opinions on those of some credible football personalities such as Walby, Jones, and Friedman who have seen the tape.
hwgill
Legend

Walby isn't credible, not in the least. The guy is so biased it's incredible. Jones, he's alright. Friedman, no.

Funny thing is, the only people who are complaining about this are the fans. Other players, coaches, GMs even, are all saying there isn't enough evidence.
" ... a team not being prepared to play is the head coach’s responsibility.” - Jim Barker
Gerry
Legend

Jer Bear wrote:I really hope someone ends Jimenez's career with a after-the-whistle cheap shot on Sunday. I don't care how classless it make me sound, I'm sure you could ask Sherko to take him out, he seems to enjoy post-whistle cheapshots as well :wink:
This post is clearly unacceptable. You may argue your POV on the hit all you wish, here or elsewhere, but this is just plain wrong. You should apologize for it.

Other than the advantage a Jiminez suspension would have given the Riders, and that would be an advantage that they have no right to expect or deserve, I fail to see your interest in this. The Riders were not involved. Why not wait until due process has taken place and make your comments then?

Clearly, you have not seen the hit and therefore have no basis for genuine outrage. You say that you base your assessment on Freidman, Walby etc., but I have yet to see a direct quote from anyone who actually saw the hit. Freidman says that "it is hard to tell from the tape", so he doesn't offer an opinion. So he gives it to Walby etc., and bases his judgement on theirs "because they are the experts". When I ask Freidman on 13thman how, if "you can't tell from the tape" and he offers no opinion himself, that Walby can view the tape any better than he can, he doesn't answer me but calls me a "fanboy" for posing the question. I have yet to see a direct quote from Walby or anyone else. All it is is Friedman saying "he said".

The ref that made the call supposedly saw the hit. We have not heard from him. There are no direct quotes from anyone else who has seen it. The tape is, from what I have heard, grainy and doesn't fully capture the actions that took place. I have not seen it. I have not seen a link to a video that we could look at.

You base your outrage and your wish that a player be seriously injured on rumour and second hand testimony. Not only is it second hand, it is contradictory.

Your credibility on this matter is non-existent. You are nothing more than a Rider fan who wishes for any available advantage for his team.
Enough is enough.
stansz
Champion

okay just to voice my opinion.....
1)there is no clear evidence that it was dirty, sure it was implied.....but until i see it myself ill reserve judgement on it
2)even if it was dirty, like pple ahve said its a loophole that lets jiminez take play, dont blame him, blame the system "dont hate the player, hate the game"
3)like blitz said, its a tough sport, dont play/watch/support it if you cant handle it
4)its funny how rider fans are more pissed then calgary fans
5)funniest part, all of this could have been avoided if the league came with this decision right away (im talking bout day after) then jiminez appeals, arbitrator comes in and then makes the decision, fastest as possible i doubt that would take 2 full weeks and if wasnt suspended...would you all still be angry?
pumped!!!
Calgaryclan
prospect

It's going to come out before the game. And as a CALGARY FAN, I almost hope it isn't as blatant. But, I have to think, with all the media analysists, former players, and for ****'s sake his own teamates comments. I'm glad I'm not a BC lion's fan.

Go Riders! (said with not that much enthusiasm)