CKNW - Jimenez stayed until off-season

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Jim Mullin
Team Captain

he will play... more to follow
Krown Countdown U on CHCH TV and the TSN Radio Network.
120dB
Legend

holy jumpin toledo... that's huge news...
hutch
Champion

While I agree that he needs to be punished for what he did. I'm glad that he's playing this weekend and possibly next! We can all thank AJ Gass for setting the precedent in this case.
Rammer
Team Captain

Well I am glad that the Lions team isn't suffering from Jimenez's actions, but this doesn't absolve him from the actions he took. If this case comes to the conclusion that he is guilty, it doesn't look very good on the Lions. But like they say, innocent until proven guilty.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I am all for justice happening in this case too but the way the league dilly dallied in coming to some sort of decision really left no time for anything to be resolved before the end of this season. If they had come to decision within a couple of days, there was the possibility that this could have been handled before this game or hopefully the Grey Cup.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Disturber
Champion

Given the way the whole thing was handled, beginning with the league taking nine days to hand down the suspension, postponing the hearing until after the season is over and staying the suspension, is really the only *fair* way to go about it at this point.

As I stated in an earlier post, no one has provided (the general public at least) any video evidence to suggest a foul was committed.
Last edited by Disturber on Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go Lions!
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:I am all for justice happening in this case too but the way the league dilly dallied in coming to some sort of decision really left no time for anything to be resolved before the end of this season. If they had come to decision within a couple of days, there was the possibility that this could have been handled before this game or hopefully the Grey Cup.
Thank you. And if we had something more than the Zapruter film to judge his actions by, we'd all have a better opinion.

He may be guilty of something heinous, but the league bungled this so badly that it didn't have any other choice in the matter.

The league had a week to act on this process and failed to do so. Either you feel it's just or unjust, the current result is a direct result of the league failing to act in a timely manner.
LFITQ
Team Captain

This is coming about simply because of past precedent.

In the past players have all been allowed to play until the arbitrator has heard the case and made a decision. Jurineack and Scott Schultz last year, AJ Gass this year.

Cohon blew it by not staying it himself as any arbitrator has to look at past precedent and make a ruling based on that. There is no past precedent in the CFL for a player to be sitting out prior to a decision made.

This does not mean Jiminez is innocent or guilty of anything, but simply that the League cannot have a player sit out while awaiting arbitration. Cohon made an improper ruling by not staying it when it first came to his desk.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
wildthing
All Star

Disturber wrote:Given the way the whole thing was handled, beginning with the league taking nine days to hand down the suspension, postponing the hearing until after the season is over and staying the suspension, is really the only *fair* way to go about it at this point.

As I stated in an earlier post, no one has provided (the general public at least) any video evidence to suggest as foul was committed.
no one has but guess what, players have been suspended with out video evidence before. For how many years did we not have every game televised? Sometimes you have to use other sources, like the official's tesitmony when video evidence isn't present
Rammer
Team Captain

wildthing wrote:
Disturber wrote:Given the way the whole thing was handled, beginning with the league taking nine days to hand down the suspension, postponing the hearing until after the season is over and staying the suspension, is really the only *fair* way to go about it at this point.

As I stated in an earlier post, no one has provided (the general public at least) any video evidence to suggest as foul was committed.
no one has but guess what, players have been suspended with out video evidence before. For how many years did we not have every game televised? Sometimes you have to use other sources, like the official's tesitmony when video evidence isn't present
What the CFL didn't do also is provide the public anything to do with, regardless of video or otherwise. I would have had no worries had this taken place last week when it should have had a conclusion to it. But waiting out to the extent of two days before the WDF to get a final decision on whether he will or will not be available for the WDF, isn't correct either.
Entertainment value = an all time low
wildthing
All Star

Rammer wrote:
wildthing wrote:

What the CFL didn't do also is provide the public anything to do with, regardless of video or otherwise. I would have had no worries had this taken place last week when it should have had a conclusion to it. But waiting out to the extent of two days before the WDF to get a final decision on whether he will or will not be available for the WDF, isn't correct either.
the CFL doesn't have to justify to us the decision or provide any rationale to the decision. Anything they do provide is a courtesy. Unless JJ did something that is punishable by law, an independent organization (be it of Dr's, lawyers, accountants, etc.) has full privacy with respect to discplinary action for breach of conduct.
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

wildthing wrote:
Rammer wrote:
wildthing wrote:no one has but guess what, players have been suspended with out video evidence before. For how many years did we not have every game televised? Sometimes you have to use other sources, like the official's tesitmony when video evidence isn't present
the CFL doesn't have to justify to us the decision or provide any rationale to the decision. Anything they do provide is a courtesy. Unless JJ did something that is punishable by law, an independent organization (be it of Dr's, lawyers, accountants, etc.) has full privacy with respect to discplinary action for breach of conduct.
And since you're quoting proper protocol, all Jimenez has done is follow protocol in defense of himself. not coming from you, but all these comments from Rider fans about Jimenez is a coward, and how the Lions should be ashamed is a crock. He will have his case heard. It's not his fault the league/CFLPA system is flawed.
http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com :: Ask me how you can help us raise money for Cancer research and treatment on behalf of CFL fans.
wildthing
All Star

OrangeShoes99 wrote:
wildthing wrote:
Rammer wrote:
And since you're quoting proper protocol, all Jimenez has done is follow protocol in defense of himself. not coming from you, but all these comments from Rider fans about Jimenez is a coward, and how the Lions should be ashamed is a crock. He will have his case heard. It's not his fault the league/CFLPA system is flawed.
not disagreeing the system is flawed, the CFL tried to change that by not staying the suspension. But then there was outrage of injustice. I think neither protocol is correct. Jason is not a coward for using the system to his advantage but much liek if the Leos claim a loss should have been asteriked if JJ was out I think any wins need to be asteriked as he should have been out
Disturber
Champion

OK, Wildthing,
But doesn't the CFL have the responsibility to take a little less time than 9 days, say... the Monday after the game in question, to hand down the suspension?
The way they've dragged things out, I think they do owe us an explanation.
They provided an explanation of why they DIDN'T suspend Fred Perry for his cheap shot on Dickenson.
Go Lions!
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

wildthing wrote:
OrangeShoes99 wrote:
wildthing wrote:the CFL doesn't have to justify to us the decision or provide any rationale to the decision. Anything they do provide is a courtesy. Unless JJ did something that is punishable by law, an independent organization (be it of Dr's, lawyers, accountants, etc.) has full privacy with respect to discplinary action for breach of conduct.
not disagreeing the system is flawed, the CFL tried to change that by not staying the suspension. But then there was outrage of injustice. I think neither protocol is correct. Jason is not a coward for using the system to his advantage but much liek if the Leos claim a loss should have been asteriked if JJ was out I think any wins need to be asteriked as he should have been out
No need for an asterisk in either case. :roll:
http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com :: Ask me how you can help us raise money for Cancer research and treatment on behalf of CFL fans.