Game Day Thread: Lions at Sask. 6/13/10

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

Tony Washington dropped at least 2, I think 3.
Real women wear orange!!
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

WestCoastJoe wrote:One is that, as Caravetta says, the Lions already know 95% of the players that will make the roster.

Another is that they need more time to sort out the receivers, and allow the QBs to develop the timing, and defence-reading skills they will need.

It looks to me like they are quite confident in what they have with Robertson, and with their NI backs. So they use the Riders game to look at a load of receivers.
I think you're correct there. Usually by the start of the first exhibition game teams already have a pretty good idea who will make up 90% of the opening day roster. Thus a priority in the first ex-game is to use it to help determine who of those on the bubble are likely to fill out the remaining 10%. In the backfield I think you can almost take it to the bank that OV's buddy PI Wally already has Robertson, Lee, Harris and Messam pencilled in on the opening day 46 man roster. Pendland I think may have a leg up as the new Ian Smart as a versatile returner and backup to Robertson. If those are already all but givens then it makes a lot of sense to use this game to help make decisions on receivers. That also serves another very important purpose. One of the biggest question marks revolves around the OL and how effective it might be in pass protection. It only makes sense that the easiest way to answer questions for both the receivers and OL is to run a lot of passing plays.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Not sure about Pendland or Davis as our long term returners......Bolden, on IR currently, is the guy the really want to come around. His resume is very exciting and if he can ever get healthy, watch out.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

roaring_lion wrote:What I am wondering is with this log jam at running back why wasnt there more emphasis on running to get a good look at all these backs still left. By my quick calculations there was only 8 designed running plays called?

Well theres one more week for them to really showcase there talents in a game situation.
As others have suggested, the priority was likely to look at the receivers and give our QBs more opportunity to work on timing. No doubt we've got some skilled running backs, what worries me is that given The Chap's reluctance to run the ball in the last few years, our rushing stats may not look much different in the regular season from what they were yesterday.

For what it's worth, a quick scan of the stats from the other games yesterday doesn't show a whole lot of running play either.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

West Coast Blue Fan wrote:Not sure about Pendland or Davis as our long term returners......Bolden, on IR currently, is the guy the really want to come around. His resume is very exciting and if he can ever get healthy, watch out.
I don't know anything about Bolden. I just had to look him up to find out he's a receiver. Davis probably didn't help his cause by making the faux pas of bringing a return out of the endzone only to be tackled at the 1. Versatility is always a huge factor in the CFL. Pendland appears to have a lot going for him in terms of being a running back who also has a good pedigree as a receiving threat out of the backfield which is a coveted trait in the CFL. As a decision it could get down to which player offers the team more options for use. Would they rather have a kick returner/receiver, kick returner/RB or would they be happy with a pure kick returner? Which provides more value to them?
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
joe kapp22
Legend

Stephen Black had one drop of a TD, Jamal Lee had a drop, Anthony Reddick had a dummy personal foul, the RT was owned by Shomari Williams, in fact the RT struggled with a sack surrendered and a holding penalty.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
#1 Lions Fan in SK
Starter

I listened to the last half of the game on Sunday. My major concern was the penalties that BC was taking. They really need to be more disciplined. I lost count, but Saskatchewn only took one in the second half that I heard.