Game Day Thread: Lions at Sask. 6/13/10

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

what a great day of sports... 3 world cup matches followed by Lions football! While the first pre-season game usually offers nothing special, I am just looking forward to hearing a couple hours of Leo's football coming out of my computer's speakers.

Here's to a great 2010 season for the boys in Orange and Black. LET'S GO LEOS!!!
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

If you live outside of Canada (like me), teamradio.ca has their 1410 stream blacked out (likely a snafu due to World Cup broadcasts).... an alternate source is CHNL in Kamloops www.radionl.com
cat_daddy
Rookie

Thx for the other link! I was scrambling to find a good one....
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

2nd and 1 and the Lions call play-action for a nice gain??? Is there hope for our OC in 2010?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

See where the Lions turned over the ball on 3rd and 1 :bang:
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Belize City Lion wrote:If you live outside of Canada (like me), teamradio.ca has their 1410 stream blacked out (likely a snafu due to World Cup broadcasts).... an alternate source is CHNL in Kamloops http://www.radionl.com
I got the same crap message from Team 1040 too so caught the last part of the game on the Kamloops NL link but it has gone off the air to some talk show without doing the post game.

Is this the latest stupidity from Team 1040? Block overseas (Hong Kong here) listeners?
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

A win is a win, even in pre-season. Last year we looked awful from the get-go. It looks somewhat better this year.

Good work by Lulay. Lots of good receiving. Messam showed some the ability we might expect from him.

Giulio says the O Line and D Line showed some promise.

Crawford continues to look comfortable as safety.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Toppy Vann wrote:
Belize City Lion wrote:If you live outside of Canada (like me), teamradio.ca has their 1410 stream blacked out (likely a snafu due to World Cup broadcasts).... an alternate source is CHNL in Kamloops http://www.radionl.com
I got the same crap message from Team 1040 too so caught the last part of the game on the Kamloops NL link but it has gone off the air to some talk show without doing the post game.

Is this the latest stupidity from Team 1040? Block overseas (Hong Kong here) listeners?
The World Cup may indeed have created problems. I see the Team's website shows them carrying 60 World Cup games. All of them are on Lion broadcaster Team1410 except for two, one starting at 11:25 today and another for next Sunday. Both just happen to create overlaps with Lion pregame shows and broadcasts and show as being on Team1040 instead. I have no idea how things work but it could well be they must blackout the World Cup streams and either neglected to undo the time slots or didn't think it was worth the technical hassle for the exhibition games. I'd suggest an email to them might give you an answer but I suspect it will be back to business as usual in time for the regular season.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
David
Team Captain

From what I could piece together listening to the game:

* yes, it was only preseason but you have to be happy with a win in Regina, any time you can get one. We left most of our starters at home. With the exception of Printers, Lulay, Valli, Arceneaux, Marsh, Whyte, and McCallum - everyone else was either new to the team, a PR player last year, or new to their position.
* NO fumbles or interceptions for B.C. which is a impressive considering they played after only 6 days of practice.
* Doesn't appear that anyone made the coaches go "wow!," but a number of newcomers had a solid game, notably Steven Black (Terrell Owens' cousin) who caught a TD pass (he also had a drop on a ball I don't think he was expecting), but he also caught 3 other passes for 66 yards total. Jerome Messam was a beast with 3 carries for 22 yards and 1 hellacious block! :yahoo:
* The biggest question mark coming in, the O-line, was better than expected and "improved as the game went on" according to Wally. 2 sacks given up. It also appeared that the Riders were content with the 4 man rush most of the afternoon.
* Perhaps the biggest disappointment by position was at receiver, where drives were continually hampered by dropped balls. Manny Arceneaux once again looked very good with 4 catches for 62 yards.
* Both Printers and Lulay looked good, the latter's stats (13 of 24 for 142 yards) somewhat misleading due to the number of dropped passes.
* Jeremy Gibbs had pretty good penetration at DE, finishing with a sack.
* Great interception from Tad Crawford came at key moment. :thup:

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I listened to the first half of the game at the open house, sounded good. I caught the highlights on TSN and the actual broadcaster hightlights (not TSN) looked awful, IMO. Like Don Taylor says frequently 'these highlights were shot by Agent 89'. Thankfully, TSN did some post-game interviews that were much clearer.
roaring_lion
Rookie

What I am wondering is with this log jam at running back why wasnt there more emphasis on running to get a good look at all these backs still left. By my quick calculations there was only 8 designed running plays called?

Well theres one more week for them to really showcase there talents in a game situation.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

roaring_lion wrote:What I am wondering is with this log jam at running back why wasnt there more emphasis on running to get a good look at all these backs still left. By my quick calculations there was only 8 designed running plays called?

Well theres one more week for them to really showcase there talents in a game situation.
There are a couple of ideas in regard to this ...

One is that, as Caravetta says, the Lions already know 95% of the players that will make the roster.

Another is that they need more time to sort out the receivers, and allow the QBs to develop the timing, and defence-reading skills they will need.

It looks to me like they are quite confident in what they have with Robertson, and with their NI backs. So they use the Riders game to look at a load of receivers.

One more idea is that they will not emphasize the running game as much this year. That would be scary. I cannot imagine that this will be the case. I hope I am not wrong in saying this, but I do not share the seemingly widely held belief that JC will completely disregard the running game. Antonio Warren and Joe Smith did very well while he was OC. The year he spent in Edmonton ... I know, I know. But I do hope that we have a good running game this season.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

roaring_lion wrote:What I am wondering is with this log jam at running back why wasnt there more emphasis on running to get a good look at all these backs still left. By my quick calculations there was only 8 designed running plays called?

Care to guess who's calling the plays for the Lions ?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:There are a couple of ideas in regard to this ...

One is that, as Caravetta says, the Lions already know 95% of the players that will make the roster.

Another is that they need more time to sort out the receivers, and allow the QBs to develop the timing, and defence-reading skills they will need.

It looks to me like they are quite confident in what they have with Robertson, and with their NI backs. So they use the Riders game to look at a load of receivers.
I think that's it. We know four backs who will be on the roster. I would have thought that either Davis or Pendland had a good shot of sticking on the roster as a returner. Now I'm not so sure. Neither helped his cause in this game.

We know who the starting receivers will be, barring a poor week by Armstrong, but there are still 10 players competiting for for two to four backup and PR positions.

Speaking of receivers, did anyone keep track of which ones were dropping all the passes, especially from Lulay?
Centrum22
Starter

B.C.FAN wrote:
Speaking of receivers, did anyone keep track of which ones were dropping all the passes, especially from Lulay?
The rookie Sean Walker definitely dropped one.