Lions Release Jason Clermont

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:So who are our mandatory 7 Can starters in ’09? Jackson, Bates, Reid, Sherko, Johnson and Glatt are good bets. But then we hit question marks with Foley, Wilson or maybe Crawford. Releasing Clermont gives the Stamps an even further edge in this crucial category.
Lyle Green is the seventh NI starter. Foley, Crawford and Wilson are possible starters, depending on what other moves are made, and are good depth players.
Don Miller
Legend

I am sure JC will be picked up by Sask so he can finally play in front of his fans in Sask. He may have lost a step but still can be effective. I hope Wally has a plan. I understand that Charles Roberts has also been released. He will likely be forced to retire now after his achilles injury.
Peanut Butter Joe/Willie Show
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

Don Miller wrote:I am sure JC will be picked up by Sask so he can finally play in front of his fans in Sask. He may have lost a step but still can be effective. I hope Wally has a plan. I understand that Charles Roberts has also been released. He will likely be forced to retire now after his achilles injury.
Sask is in salary cap hell, with supposedly all 3 of their linebackers (Lloyd, Mckenzie and Lucas, iirc) among others are all FAs. While logic dictates that JC will be in green next season, I wouldn't bet the farm on it.
Lion_Pride_26
Legend

Article just posted on 'BCLions.com'

Here: http://www.bclions.com/article/lions-pa ... rts-option
“This was a very difficult decision and an equally difficult day for the BC Lions Football Club,” said Lions’ GM and head coach Wally Buono. “We are grateful for the Jason’s hard work and dedication to excellence over the past seven seasons and we wish him the very best in the future.”
Jim Mullin
Team Captain

I just got off the phone with Jason.

Naturally, he wasn't happy about the decision the team made about the contract.

However, he was happy that he had language in his contract that forced Wally's hand early, instead of getting cut in in May. or at training camp. He did well money-wise for one year, and scored well with the bonus.

He will not just focus on the Riders as a free agent due to his real estate career in Regina. He will explore every option.

Don't expect anything to happen too quickly. His wife is eight months pregnant, and I think he'll have other priorities over the next 60 days or so.
Krown Countdown U on CHCH TV and the TSN Radio Network.
Jim Mullin
Team Captain

Take this a step further, and I'd suspect that this 400k in cap space will be used to sign both Lloyd and McKenzie here, making Glatt's job a whole lot easier.
Krown Countdown U on CHCH TV and the TSN Radio Network.
Reider
Starter

I was a bit shocked when I first heard this news. It could be a blessing in disguise though. Hopefully JC just stays in Regina and drives on sask drive to piffles park instead of the airport (referring to one of his quotes in the media).

Clermont is the type of guy who'd catch a football in the middle of 10 hungry polar bears if he had to. He's young enough to still have some good games in him, it's just a matter of how much desire he still has to play the game (a lot I would assume) and where he wants to play/where a good fit would be (we already have lots of good SB's in Regina, but hopefully something can be worked out).

:beer:
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Jim Mullin wrote:Take this a step further, and I'd suspect that this 400k in cap space will be used to sign both Lloyd and McKenzie here, making Glatt's job a whole lot easier.
Wouldn't that be ironic. Cut loose a Regina hometown favourite to dangle at Tillman then swoop in to grab two of his prize FAs.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I dunno but I just have to question wally's sanity. The only thing that makes any kind of sense to me is if wally thinks JC is permanantly damaged goods?
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lion_Pride_26 wrote:Article just posted on 'BCLions.com'

“This was a very difficult decision and an equally difficult day for the BC Lions Football Club,” said Lions’ GM and head coach Wally Buono. “We are grateful for the Jason’s hard work and dedication to excellence over the past seven seasons and we wish him the very best in the future.”
A very classy statement by Clermont. Thanks for the memories Jason. :thup:
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Lion_Pride_26 wrote:Article just posted on 'BCLions.com'
"I would like to thank the fans for their incredible support over the last seven years,” said Clermont. “I leave the Lions with a Grey Cup ring, three league awards and countless memories and friendships - all of which were made possible by the fans. Thanks also to David Braley (Lions owner)for the opportunity to play the game I love and a special thanks to Bill Reichelt (Lions athletic therapist), Frank Lodato (team psychologist) and Kato Kasuya (equipment manager) for getting me onto the field through the aches and pains of football - especially this past season.”

“Thank you Wally, for being open and honest throughout the past seven years and to Jacques Chapdelaine who was instrumental in my development. While this is an end to my time with the Lions, I embrace the opportunity to continue playing and look forward to the months ahead as I train like never before to make an impact wherever I may end up."
Jason Clermont has been a class act his entire career with the Lions. Even as he takes the bullet, he has nothing but good things to say, even about the man who had to cut him loose.

I'm actually glad to hear his words of support for Jacques Chapdelaine. It's gotta be tough being a public figure and hearing all the harsh things people say about you, especially here on Lionbackers.
Jim Mullin wrote:Take this a step further, and I'd suspect that this 400k in cap space will be used to sign both Lloyd and McKenzie here, making Glatt's job a whole lot easier.
That would be awesome. Our LB play was not what it needed to be this past year. Even one of those guys (preferably Lloyd to play the middle with Javy at OLB) would be a great acquisition.

I'm guessing Wally will go with just one non-import starting receiver, Paris Jackson. As B.C.FAN indicated, it might mean starting time for Ricky Foley or Tad Crawford at their respective positions.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Agree with Rammer, an SMS move meant to allow some salary into the mix; Clermont himself alluded to the fact that he was able to force Waly to releae him now, rather than in May.

Going to be tough for Regina to even pretend to honour the Luxury Tax if they sign him for even a portion of what he will command on the open market.

Best of luck, Lion82, and thanks.
CartWheelFan
All Star

Dan_Payne_fan!! wrote:WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:whs:

I was listening to the TEAM 1040 last night and they did a phone interview with JC at his home in Sask (it was 12:30am for him) He towed the party line, didn't badmouth anyone, but didn't sound happy in the least either (as to be expected!) He DID give a shout out to DPf though when asked what he would miss about the Lions and playing here. He'll be missed, not just on the field, and I think he'll be missed more than this coaching staff realizes!!
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

It's one of the unfortunate aspects of working under a cap system like the SMS. Parting ways with a classy hard-working fan favourite like Clermont is tough for fans to swallow. It also has to be a most difficult decision that a GM really doesn't want to make. The harsh reality of operating under SMS is past performance beyond the previous season can not be allowed to carry a lot of weight in roster decisions. Buono must consider Clermont's contract and determine if he can continue to deliver equal or better value than the salary calls for. In the case of Clermont the very physical punishing style of play that makes him such a fan fave may be taking it's toll on his body. He's left his mark on more than a few would be tacklers. He's also taken some hellacious shots. In some ways he's a victim of his own physical success. That's not to say he won't continue to be effective, but the injuries, even if only nagging, will come more frequently and linger longer.

Clermont turns 30 in May. He's coming off a season where his performance was hampered by multiple injuries. Does Wally retain Clermont at his current contract knowing injuries could continue? The simple truth is as he turns 30 there is no upside for JC. Best case scenario is that he bounces back from last season's injuries to put in a solid season like he did in 2007. The downside is nagging injuries could happen more frequently or a half step could be lost. If that happens then he cannot deliver the value that his contract calls for. In my rotisserie hockey pool the biggest factor in our roster decisions is contract value. What is the player's salary and what value does he give? If the value exceeds the salary he's a keeper. If the value doesn't match the salary you have to look to move him. The one difference between our pool and pro sports is we can place value on goals, assists, shots, +/-, PIM and PPG, but we can't put value on intangibles something Clermont has a lot of. One can easily look try to dismiss last season because of injuries. But when you look at the last 3 seasons you see a warning flag. 2007 was the sort of season we all come to expect from JC with 86 catches for 1158 yds and 7 TDs. But it's sandwiched in between two seasons hampered by injuries. In 2006 he missed 7 games with an MCL injury and posted 44 catches for 507 yds and 3 TDs. This year he produced his lowest numbers with 50 receptions for 640 yds and 3 TDs in 14 games.

For Wally it becomes a risk/reward decision. If he'd bounced back in 2008 with a season similar to 2007 this decision doesn't happen. But when Buono looks and sees 2 of the last 3 seasons hampered by injuries and the player getting yet another year older he has to ask himself if he should expect Clermont to have a season like 2007? Or is he more likely to produce a year like 2006 or 2008? Clermont has a decently healthy contract valued on 2007 type results. It's a funny thing when you look at the numbers. When you look at 2004 through 2007 it's 2006 that looks like the anomole with the low numbers when he missed 7 games. But when you slide that scale ahead and look at 2006 through 2008 the high point of 2007 looks like the anomole. For Wally the decision becomes "Do I keep Jason and his SMS hit and hope he rebounds to 2007 form? Or do I consider he may be an asset of diminishing returns and move on using that money to fill other holes and needs?"
Last edited by Hambone on Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Larry Key
Hall of Famer

Oh man... it's official. Check out the Sun or Province. :no: :no: