Stamps vs. Lions Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Will the Lions rebound from last week's performance ? Will we see an improved running game or more of the same between the tackles for 1-2 yards ? Lions need to get off to a good start or it can ugly fast.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The game-day forecast is for temperatures near freezing. That could cause problems for Thomas DeMarco, who hails from Palm Desert, California.

I expect the Lions to be up for this one and motivated to stop Cornish and the Stamps. When the Lions are motivated and determine to prove themselves, they're hard to beat.
Rammer
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:The game-day forecast is for temperatures near freezing. That could cause problems for Thomas DeMarco, who hails from Palm Desert, California.

I expect the Lions to be up for this one and motivated to stop Cornish and the Stamps. When the Lions are motivated and determine to prove themselves, they're hard to beat.
I am going in with much lower expectations and if they achieve your level, all the better for me. :)
Entertainment value = an all time low
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Will we see the same focused and determined team we saw at Mosiac 3 weeks ago? Sure hope so. Lions determine their own fate in the next 2 weeks. That's all you can ask for at this time of year.
Stamps definitely beatable at McMahon. Argos proved it 2 weeks ago and Hamilton should have done the same a week earlier.

Looking forward to the game but like Rammer my expectations are low and that's probably a good thing the way this season has gone.
Rammer
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:Will we see the same focused and determined team we saw at Mosiac 3 weeks ago? Sure hope so. Lions determine their own fate in the next 2 weeks. That's all you can ask for at this time of year.
Stamps definitely beatable at McMahon. Argos proved it 2 weeks ago and Hamilton should have done the same a week earlier.

Looking forward to the game but like Rammer my expectations are low and that's probably a good thing the way this season has gone.
Hughes vs the Lions OL, not liking that if my name is DeMarco. One thing for sure is the Lions have to play error free, count on their D to stuff Cornish, ST to win the battle, and somehow get 2012 Harris playing. The only saving grace is the Lions should be able to shutdown the Stamp receivers on second and long, they just have to force enough second and long situations.
David
Team Captain

I'll reiterate what I said earlier and echo BCFAN. When the Leos have faced adversity (and I consider today's game 'adversity' after last week's debacle), when they've been called out, and when they're focussed, they're a nasty piece of business and haven't (yet) lost one of these games this year.

The offence is going to do what they're going to do. I am not not expecting a unit resembling the '91 Lions to step onto the field. This game is going to come down to defense, and in order to win we are going to have to 1) minimize Cornish's effectiveness by holding him < 100 yards rushing and spy him coming out of the backfield 2) put pressure on Glenn and don't give him time to throw or he (or Drew or Mitchell) will scorch us and 3) blanket Calgary's fleet receivers who are as good, if not better, than any unit in the league.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:I'll reiterate what I said earlier and echo BCFAN. When the Leos have faced adversity (and I consider today's game 'adversity' after last week's debacle), when they've been called out, and when they're focussed, they're a nasty piece of business and haven't (yet) lost one of these games this year.

The offence is going to do what they're going to do. I am not not expecting a unit resembling the '91 Lions to step onto the field. This game is going to come down to defense, and in order to win we are going to have to 1) minimize Cornish's effectiveness by holding him < 100 yards rushing and spy him coming out of the backfield 2) put pressure on Glenn and don't give him time to throw or he (or Drew or Mitchell) will scorch us and 3) blanket Calgary's fleet receivers who are as good, if not better, than any unit in the league.

Do you see the Lions D providing run stopping along with pressure on Glenn? I suspect that it would be a game breaker if the Lions can do that, hope they can. The only way the Lions accomplish that is by successfully blitzing Glenn, not an attribute that the 2013 Lions have shown, nevermind controlling Cornish from gaining yardage.
David
Team Captain

Tall order indeed. But not impossible. Last time these 2 teams played, Cornish was held to 73 yards rushing.

According to league notes, the Leos are looking to make it 9x in a row in which they've followed a loss with a win. In fact, they've only had one 2 game losing streak in their last 45 outings (since July '11).

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:Tall order indeed. But not impossible. Last time these 2 teams played, Cornish was held to 73 yards rushing.

According to league notes, the Leos are looking to make it 9x in a row in which they've followed a loss with a win. In fact, they've only had one 2 game losing streak in their last 45 outings (since July '11).

Then we see this one the same way? :) Did those other 9 wins after a loss have a raw starter in as QB for the Lions? Calgary has something to prove in this match as well, they are at home, lost to the Lions last go around, both contribute to the potential of them dominating this game. Physically they out match us on the OL and DL, it is going to have to be a great game from Chapdelaine to overcome that front 7, something that doesn't happen very often. Our only hope IMO, is to have the D play like they did vs the Bombers, and somehow stop Cornish in addition to that. Tall task and a cold night around 0 degrees is going to test the Lions running game to be prepared to shoulder the brunt of the offensive package. I am not sure that has been counted on this season, and certainly not JC's forte.
South Pender
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:The game-day forecast is for temperatures near freezing. That could cause problems for Thomas DeMarco, who hails from Palm Desert, California.
But he played in Virginia where it can get cold in football season. I was at a conference in Charlottesville (not too far from Old Dominion U.) one fall, and it was freezing.

I'm with Rammer and think low expectations are in order for this game. That way, it either comes out the way you were prepared for or you're elated. Less chance of severe depression.... :wink:
leo4life
All Star

Low expectations are definatley in order lol.However Bene said the troops are fired up for this tilt so it should be at least be competitive.Be intersting to see "the run game" ;-)
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Will the Lions rebound from last week's performance ? Will we see an improved running game or more of the same between the tackles for 1-2 yards ? Lions need to get off to a good start or it can ugly fast.
If I have to sit through another ChapBall debacle like last week's I'm going to have to puke on my new shoes...that game was so brutal to watch, and as always a winnable game with proper adjustments despite the turnovers.

Bring it Chap...or Bring me the head the Chap!!! :bang: :bang: :bang:
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
JohnHenry
Champion

BC 29 - Cal 25 :cr:
leo4life
All Star

Cornish was just on 1040 and said he loves when teams stack the box angainst him.Be intersting to see which team is able to run the football.This is a huge test!
leo4life
All Star

BC 24 stumps 19