Lions Receiving Corps ...

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Futu ... story.html

Some excerpts from the article by Mike Beamish ...
"I've thought about maybe going to vet school after this, but I'm not really sure," Binder admitted Thursday. "I'm trying to canvass some doctors to get a second opinion about med school. Science and biology really interest me. For now, I'm just concentrating on football."
A rookie with the Lions, the slotback is gifted athletically and highly accomplished academically.
Binder not only was an accomplished receiver at Tusculum — he was the team's second leading receiver in 2009 and tied a school record with nine TD receptions in '08 — he became the Jerry Rice of academics. The E.H. Sargeant Science Award, Dean's list, Athletic Director's Honour Roll, SAC Commissioner's Honour Roll, Charles Oliver Gray Honours List represent some of the non-football hardware he's trucked home.
Yikes. Being smart doesn't stop a guy from being a good athlete. But not all top athletes need to be the smartest guy in school either. (Hello Terry Bradshaw, who when questioned about his supposed lack of brilliance, once said: "How smart does a guy have to be, anyway, to play quarterback?") :wink:
"He's extremely intelligent," says Mike Benevides, the Lions defensive coordinator and director of Canadian scouting. "Rookies have a hard time at first, because there's so much new terminology to learn. You get thrown out of your comfort zone. But Nate picks it up very quickly. He's a very composed, mature young man."
From Binder, and Akeem Foster, another highly rated draft pick, one would hope we can find a guy who can play and contribute this year.
Still, Binder admits that the first two days of camp have been "mentally and physically tough." And the intensity will be ratcheted up a degree or two more when the veterans report and two-a-days begin on Sunday.
I hope the weather allows the players to show their stuff.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Suddenly looking good.

Geroy is Hall of Fame. Straight in.

Arland is a very effective receiver. Middle. Deep. Flats. Good hands. Confident.

Great pairing with Geroy in the slots.

Akeem is a sudden star. Tall. Sneaky speed. Great hands. Mobile.

Gore will be a star. Potentially an NI version of something like Geroy and Arland. Not the same numbers of course.

Kierie could be very, very good, when he relaxes. I think he will show to have good hands eventually. And look how he gets open. All over the field.

I really want to see Iannuzzi get involved this year, as a receiver.
We have finally found some (3) talented NI receivers.

Next ... NI D Linemen. Ha ha That could take years.
Rammer
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:Suddenly looking good.

Geroy is Hall of Fame. Straight in.

Arland is a very effective receiver. Middle. Deep. Flats. Good hands. Confident.

Great pairing with Geroy in the slots.

Akeem is a sudden star. Tall. Sneaky speed. Great hands. Mobile.

Gore will be a star. Potentially an NI version of something like Geroy and Arland. Not the same numbers of course.

Kierie could be very, very good, when he relaxes. I think he will show to have good hands eventually. And look how he gets open. All over the field.

I really want to see Iannuzzi get involved this year, as a receiver.
We have finally found some (3) talented NI receivers.

Next ... NI D Linemen. Ha ha That could take years.
Now as expected Bruce gets the ball thrown his way at the expense of Gore, who has shown that he can make those clutch catches on second down. If the Lions ever decide to take advantage of Foster and his size, I may have to tip my hat to Chapstick.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The young receiving corp is getting better with more reps and game experience. Frustrating to see them earlier in the season when they couldn't hold on to a beach ball.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

We saw two things tonight in the receiving dept.

1. The addition of Bruce has taken a load of pressure of Simon as defenders can't key on just him.
2. Some of the younger receivers seemed to leave behind some of the dropsies tonight.

This was one game against a team that is suddenly crashing and burning. I won't get too excited yet. Let's see if they can sustain this for a few more games and against some better opponents. This one should not be taken as indicative of anything.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Bruce was a good addition and as he gets more familar with the play book and develops chemistry with Lulay, it's going to make a bigger difference. His game last night was just a flash of what that can be. He's still a very excellent receiver.

Foster can become an amazing receiver with his size and speed.

Johnson looks like a dangerous player.
joe kapp22
Legend

Gr8grab Kamau Peterson
S/o to the @bclions as well as their fan base. Wishing all of you the best in your future. Great bunch of guys in that locker room. #deuces
I guess that is the end of Kamau's time in BC?

Have to think the Esks will try to pick him back up?
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
Rammer
Team Captain

joe kapp22 wrote:

Gr8grab Kamau Peterson
S/o to the @bclions as well as their fan base. Wishing all of you the best in your future. Great bunch of guys in that locker room. #deuces
I guess that is the end of Kamau's time in BC?

Have to think the Esks will try to pick him back up?
I wonder if that is the case, too bad on Peterson not taking the bone that was given him, but it is funny how many FA pickups look old in a Lion uniform.
The_Pauser
Legend

Judging by his facebook it sounds like he's done as a Lion. Too bad...he seemed to have the right attitude and was a good veteran presence. Just didn't have as long a leash as some other receivers.
Roar you Lions roar!
Rammer
Team Captain

The_Pauser wrote:Judging by his facebook it sounds like he's done as a Lion. Too bad...he seemed to have the right attitude and was a good veteran presence. Just didn't have as long a leash as some other receivers.
Well that and he may be what the Esks need for the short term, if he is still good with Tillman and company.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Peterson was all class in announcing his departure via Twitter:
Gr8grab Kamau Peterson
S/o to the @bclions as well as their fan base. Wishing all of you the best in your future. Great bunch of guys in that locker room. #
Gr8grab Kamau Peterson
Can't thank the fans enough really, for being so welcoming and stay behind that team. I think they'll surprise many.
I would expect the Esks to snap him up their injured receiving corps makes a miraculous recovery.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I would hope the Schmos pick him up. He is a class guy.

If not for the drop, and Wally's need for a sacrifice, it would seem he would be deemed more valuable than Ryan Thelwell.
joe kapp22
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:I would hope the Schmos pick him up. He is a class guy.

If not for the drop, and Wally's need for a sacrifice, it would seem he would be deemed more valuable than Ryan Thelwell.
Hmm, does not seem like a sacrifice to me?

Seems to me Wally is just moving on from Peterson, happens all over the league.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

joe kapp22 wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:I would hope the Schmos pick him up. He is a class guy.

Hmm, does not seem like a sacrifice to me?

Seems to me Wally is just moving on from Peterson, happens all over the league.
How many balls did Kamau Peterson drop? Not that many. If he had caught that one important one, and we had won, it might have been hard to cut him.

It is true he was insurance of a sort. For Paris. For Akeem. For Shawn Gore.

If he is not a sacrifice, why then is there talk of bringing in Ryan Thelwell (38 y/o)? It seems there is a need there for some depth. Kamau's attitude seemed good. He was healthy. He is 32. He drops the one important one. And he is gone.

Sacrifice? Normal cut? Payroll saving? Whatever.
tigerrr22
Starter

This receiver set is looking excellent now! Arland Bruce was a smart aquisition. Geroy will gain from this. Gore (NI) will be the heroe when Bruce and Geroy are getting the extra attention. Johnson looks like he can get it rolling too. After a couple of early game drops he started to settle down. He showed that he, too, can be a serious play maker. Foster (NI) looked like a world beater with that sloppy Eskimos tackling. He's been making big plays for the team with 5 TD's this season on only 14 receptions. If your passing game is lights out then WHAMMO! You can then use a running game because the LB's and safeties are having to deal with the dangers of big yardage gains through the air. The pass should set up the run more than the run should set up the pass in CFL football. (Of course a five or six yard gain, running on first down, is always welcomed too! :cool: )

The Lions are running the ball well now too. The O-line deserves some credit. Argos and Lions will be tough games. Argos are better than their 2-6 record. (Their defence at least.) A sweep of Toronto will not be easy. However the Lions might be a team that can get on a huge roll now! Their offensive potential is monsterous! Lulay just might lead the league in passing yardage at the end of the regular season. Geroy will make history too! A Grey Cup victory, in the new BC Place, would be the cherry on top! Dare to believe Lionbackers!

Dominic in Vancouver :cr: