TiCats @ Lions - Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Make or Break week for the Lions ...

Not just another game.

Played fairly well against Montreal and Calgary and lost.

Played not so well against Edmonton and lost.

Defence has been porous. Tackling in the secondary has been poor.

Offence has been OK at times. Running game has been poor.

TiCats coming off a demolition of Saskatchewan.

Lots of subplots to the game. Jamall Johnson. Jason Jimenez. Jerome Dennis. Et cetera ...
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=372201
Should Buono feel the heat for B.C.'s troubles?

With the 99th Grey Cup Game heading to the newly renovated B.C. Place Stadium in November, there's been a little extra pressure for the Lions to perform this year. And after a strong finish to the 2010 season in which the Lions appeared to have figured out their quarterback situation with starter Travis Lulay, it looked like the team had the momentum to take the next step.

But the Leos sputtered out of the gate this year, losing their first three games, and the pressure is mounting in B.C.

The Lions have made it clear that Head Coach and General Manager Wally Buono is not in jeopardy of losing his job, but some feel that the CFL's all-time leader in coaching wins should be feeling the stress of his team's poor start.

Buono has earned a lot of support in B.C. after six consecutive winning seasons, five Western finals, and a Grey Cup championship to start his tenure in B.C., but things haven't gone as smoothly lately. The Lions have since put together back-to-back losing seasons and now this.

B.C. has lost their first three games of the season, the last against West Division rival Edmonton in which Buono admitted to being out-coached afterwards.

This year's slow start could signal a pattern of decline stretching back to 2008, but Buono supporters will be quick to point out that a number of in-game mental mistakes by players could be to blame for the Lions not reaching the win column yet in 2011, and that slow starts in the previous two years didn't prevent the team from making the playoffs and even advancing to the East Final (via the crossover) in 2009.

You've heard what we've had to say. Now it's your turn. Should Wally Buono be feeling the heat in B.C. this early in the season?

As always, it's Your! Call.
No heat. Lifetime job. His pre-2008 record and longevity give him a big shield.
joe kapp22
Legend

J Dennis and Ruffin in the secondary, yet more changes to a struggling unit, Wally mentioned Williams is injured so Ruffin made sense to add as well.

Bates stepping in as the #7 OL, JHR back 9/2.

Hmm, think I may spring for some beer this evening hopefully in celebration. :beer:
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
joe kapp22
Legend

http://www.teamradio.ca/news/wally-buono-on-team1040/

Good interview with Wally B, goes over the state of the team, Dennis, Ruffin, where Bates fits into the larger scheme of things.

Secondary:

"..not big enough, not physical enough, at times not tackling well enough..."
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

It's the KISS of death for hamilton tonight. :yahoo:
David
Team Captain

joe kapp22 wrote:"..not big enough, not physical enough, at times not tackling well enough..."

Not big enough? Hello!?! You knew this coming into the season - and training camp for that matter. In fact, we would be even smaller had Stanley Franks started the season. If the vets aren't getting it done, hopefully Marquez Hall and Travis Williams can push them.

Am still not sold on our off-season recruiting this year. Not enough good competition among imports at receiver, rush end, and running back.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

David please... lets not be so harsh. Why not wait until the end of training camp before we pass judgement? Ok?
BcBenny
prospect

This whole Bates thing reeks of desperation if you ask me :bang:

I hope to see a more balanced attack today as I believe Harris/Robertson are not only solid
runners but receivers as well, more play action, swing plays. Let Travis build is confidence with a
short/mid game and then let him start slinging it. Foster and Gore should continue to develop in this one.

In terms of defence I am looking for a fired up response from the secondary, not even looking for big
hits, just some nice, sound gang tackling and not allowing those bonehead big plays like they are going
out of style.

Enjoy the game folks!
joe kapp22
Legend

The player I'm going to watch tonite is #64, Angus Reid, if we run up the middle and a Defender is waiting for him, I suspect we have found the problem in the running game.
Rammer
Team Captain

joe kapp22 wrote:The player I'm going to watch tonite is #64, Angus Reid, if we run up the middle and a Defender is waiting for him, I suspect we have found the problem in the running game.
Or as seen in last weeks encounter an Angus Reid stuffed and poled behind the LoS a yard or two.
Entertainment value = an all time low
joe kapp22
Legend

Rammer wrote:
joe kapp22 wrote:The player I'm going to watch tonite is #64, Angus Reid, if we run up the middle and a Defender is waiting for him, I suspect we have found the problem in the running game.
Or as seen in last weeks encounter an Angus Reid stuffed and poled behind the LoS a yard or two.
Yep, he is a fine pass blocker, his run blocking is just not very good at all so far this yr.

This is why I'm thinking maybe a Jumbo backfield with an Olineman as the lead blocking FB.
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

joe kapp22 wrote:
Rammer wrote:
Yep, he is a fine pass blocker, his run blocking is just not very good at all so far this yr.

This is why I'm thinking maybe a Jumbo backfield with an Olineman as the lead blocking FB.

How is Reid supposed to be a good run blocker when Chapball has essentially two ground based plays?

The 1st is to attack the strength of the opposition by forcing the ball down the teeth of the defense.

The second is predictably always run to the left side of offensive line off-tackle, neither of which ever works except randomly, when the play is broken and as a fluke. :tp:

"A Jumbo backfield with an Olineman as the lead blocking FB" would never occur to Jacque because to is likely to work, and thus show that the balanced attack of an effective ground game is ultimately successful and forced to use it more, and even if it did Chappy would desert it immediately, the play having worked.
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

joe kapp22 wrote:
Rammer wrote:

How is Reid supposed to be a good run blocker when Chapball has essentially two ground based plays?

The 1st is to attack the strength of the opposition by forcing the ball down the teeth of the defense...Duhh!

The second is predictably always run to the left side of offensive line off-tackle, neither of which ever works except randomly, when the play is broken and as a fluke. :tp:

"A Jumbo backfield with an Olineman as the lead blocking FB" would never occur to Jacque because to is too likely to work, and thus show that the balanced attack of an effective ground game is ultimately successful and be forced to use it more, and even if it did Chappy would desert it immediately, the play having worked.
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I would be surprised if 22,000 fans showed up tonight for the Cat fight.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

joe kapp22 wrote:http://www.teamradio.ca/news/wally-buono-on-team1040/

Good interview with Wally B, goes over the state of the team, Dennis, Ruffin, where Bates fits into the larger scheme of things.

Secondary:

"..not big enough, not physical enough, at times not tackling well enough..."
All off season we heard of Esks signing big receivers! How can Wally now discover they lack size. As usual Wally and coaches are behind the curve.

At what point with the continuing bad starts of the Lions does the spotlight not turn on coaching here?
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy