Game Day Thread - TiCats @ Lions - September 18

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Game Day

Should be a good one.

Things are looking up for the Lions. Morale is better. Got those 2 wins in a row. Offence is looking more productive.

Casey IMO had a helluva good game. 300 yards passing. 2 TDs. No Ints. Great game management. He seems to be figuring out how to play his improvisation game within the structure that Chapdelaine prefers.

Black could be a great addition to our receiving corps. Arceneaux has come on stronger lately, as has Paris.

Davis is a difficult runner for defences to contain.

We are thin in the D Line. Hopefully we can work around that, and prevent the Tabbies from exploiting us there.

What happened to the promising Tad Crawford at safety? I expect the TiCats to go after him. Why not? He has looked lost and clumsy.

Lion favoured by 4. About right.

Wally doesn't panic. And he eventually gets things right, after he explores some pet ideas of his, that drive some fans to distraction. Project type players. Overly conservative philosophy. Predictability. But he does not have all those wins just by luck. He tends to build solid teams, with character players.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

It's all about execution :wink:
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

"They’re becoming the team that I thought they were going to be at the start of the season,” Bellefeuille says of the Lions, who finally won a game at makeshift Empire Field, shutting down the Argos in the second half of Saturday night’s victory.

“They have a solid defence and are really good on special teams; Paul (McCallum, kicker) is having a great time, and their offensive is starting to find its rhythm.

“One thing they do that is so hard to do is score a lot of points when their offensive and defensive statistics aren’t that noticeable. They’ll score in all kinds of ways. There may not be a lot of yards there but they have a lot of points (110) over the last three games.”
http://www.thespec.com/sports/ticats/ar ... cats-again
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

I'm excited about this one... The TiCats are a great opponent for us at this moment... for the first time in a long time it feels like the Lions are not playing a game that is either:
A. David vs. Goliath
B. a battle of cellar dwellers
C. a "must win" if they want to turn the season around
D. will this be the game that (insert player or coach here) shows up and does his job

Two decent teams, playing decent football, both with every reason to feel confident that good things remain ahead of them this season. A nice break from the usual subtexts and a chance to enjoy a football game for the sake of a football game!

Let's go Leos!!
joe kapp22
Legend

TiCats are explosive on offence, no doubt about that, so to me the key is to limit their explosiveness via good tackling.

Would love to see some long drives from the BC offence just to set the tone for the game, 5 minute drive for a TD, TiCats bottled up on Offence, and we just grind them down with Smash and Dash with some deep balls mixed in.

TiCats Defence will have a nightmare matchup problem trying to cover Davis out of the backfield.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
Blitz
Team Captain

Hamilton has won 4 of their last 5 games. We've won our last two. Both teams have some momentum.

I believe our defense will play well against Hamilton's explosive offence. Once again the key to this game wiill be our offence, our ability to give Printers time, a good game plan offensively, and obviously we need excellent play calling.

We've made some adjustments, offensively, in terms of what we're doing..the key is to continue this trend.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:Hamilton has won 4 of their last 5 games. We've won our last two. Both teams have some momentum.

I believe our defense will play well against Hamilton's explosive offence. Once again the key to this game wiill be our offence, our ability to give Printers time, a good game plan offensively, and obviously we need excellent play calling.

We've made some adjustments, offensively, in terms of what we're doing..the key is to continue this trend.
Run the ball, use Messam, Harris, Lee, establish play action. Run the odd end around just to be different, throw to the backs when Hamilton comes on the Blitz. Run sweeps, run draws to lure their LBs in close, then run away from them. DO NOT run off tackle every time the rock stays on the ground. Run a 6 receiver set on 2nd or 3rd and short. It can't do any worse.

Harass Kevin Glenn, don't pause in rush lanes, stay focused when in zone, and make sure Crawford has backup over the middle.

Abandoning the run means abandoning the game. That should be Jacques' mantra today.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

IT's pretty bad when you have to put in a safety to help out the safety. :bang:

Isn't Hamilton having qb issues? Isn't there a bit of turmoil there? Didn't I hear glen was unhappy for some reason.

glen, meet Korey, he will cheer you up. Honest.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Lionheart wrote:IT's pret
Isn't Hamilton having qb issues? Isn't there a bit of turmoil there? Didn't I hear glen was unhappy for some reason.
Glenn seemed a bit miffed that he got pulled last game... but if he's starting tonight then that will be extra incentive for him to perform well. Glenn is a bit of an enigma of a QB, mediocre much of the time but capable of an MVP performance on occasion. Here's hoping that tonight is not one of those occasions :cr:
woody
Champion

Hey looks like its going to be sunny for the game :cr:
notahomer
Hall of Famer

woody wrote:Hey looks like its going to be sunny for the game :cr:
Looking good right now (2ish PM). I'm going regardless but hopefully the crowd will come if its going to stay dry.

Football at this time of year is awesome. I'm really starting to appreciate how much more I enjoy outdoor football. I'm hoping :cr: Cobb has another of the kinda games he's been having so far this season.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I hope the Lions contain Deandra Cobb, something they didn't do in two outings last season against Hamilton.
the-real-hugo
Rookie

Wish I was going to the game - should be a good one to see live. Lions hopefully have found their groove. Two in a row at home would be sweet...
Rammer
Team Captain

Belize City Lion wrote:
Lionheart wrote:IT's pret
Glenn seemed a bit miffed that he got pulled last game... but if he's starting tonight then that will be extra incentive for him to perform well. Glenn is a bit of an enigma of a QB, mediocre much of the time but capable of an MVP performance on occasion. Here's hoping that tonight is not one of those occasions :cr:
I thought Hamilton should have pulled Glenn earlier, that he didn't grasp that he needed to be moved out bodes well for the Lions IMO. I agree with your assessment on Glenn though, you never know what QB is going to show up regardless of the opposition.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

H
TheLionKing wrote:I hope the Lions contain Deandra Cobb, something they didn't do in two outings last season against Hamilton.
Cobb has had a bit of a sophomore jinx this season, so I think the Leos can keep him contained. I hope Kevin Glenn spends a lot of the evening running for his life.