Riders 37 - Lions 18 Post Game Stats & Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://liveplay.cflcentral.com/LPFiles/ ... board.html
C. PRINTERS 10/14 120 1 0
T. LULAY 9/15 197 1 0

Receiving Rec YDS TD LG
G. SIMON 6 169 2 98
D. ARMSTRONG 6 76 0 21
E. ARCENEAUX 3 39 0 22
O. WILSON 2 22 0 16
P. JACKSON 1 7 0 7
J. ROBERTSON 1 4 0 4

Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
J. ROBERTSON 10 54 0 14
T. LULAY 2 5 0 4
R. JORDAN 1 13 0 13
P. MCCALLUM 1 9 0 9
C. PRINTERS 1 8 0 8

Fumbles NO LST REC YDS
T. LULAY 2 1 0 0
J. GIBBS 0 0 1 0

Field Goals FG LG XP PTS
P. MCCALLUM 1/1 16 2/2 5

Punting NO AVG NET LG
P. MCCALLUM 8 43.4 308 50

Punt Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
R. JORDAN 3 21 7.0 14 0

Kickoffs NO YDS LG SG
P. MCCALLUM 4 198 67 0

Kick Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
R. JORDAN 8 136 17.0 26 0

Defence TKL SK INT FF
K. BANKS 7 0 0 1
J. HENDERSON 6 0 0 0
A. REDDICK 4 1 0 0
M. CRAFT 4 0 0 0
R. PHILLIPS 4 0 0 0
D. MARSH 3 0 0 0
S. ELIMIMIAN 3 0 0 0
A. HUNT 2 0 0 0
T. CRAWFORD 2 0 0 0
S. FRANKS 2 0 0 0
B. JOHNSON 1 1 0 0
D. PITTMAN 1 0 0 0
J. GIBBS 1 0 0 0
A. MCKENZIE 1 0 0 0
Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT
D. DURANT 18/29 252 1 0

Receiving Rec YDS TD LG
P. RODRIGUEZ 5 58 1 23
A. FANTUZ 4 55 0 24
W. DRESSLER 3 53 0 29
W. CATES 3 14 0 6
C. GETZLAF 2 55 0 41
H. CHARLES 1 17 0 17

Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
W. CATES 16 93 1 19
H. CHARLES 4 47 0 20
D. DURANT 4 33 1 14
W. DRESSLER 3 15 0 13

Fumbles NO LST REC YDS
W. CATES 1 1 0 0
P. RODRIGUEZ 1 0 0 0
B. HAWKINS 0 0 1 1

Field Goals FG LG XP PTS
L. CONGI 3/3 32 4/4 13

Punting NO AVG NET LG
L. SAKODA 5 41.4 186 47

Punt Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
D. DORSEY 5 19 3.8 7 0
W. CATES 1 20 20.0 20 0

Kickoffs NO YDS LG SG
L. SAKODA 8 476 67 0

H. CHARLES 3 86 28.7 46 0
P. RODRIGUEZ 1 0 0.0 0 0

Defence TKL SK INT FF
S. LUCAS 4 0 0 0
B. SIMPSON 4 0 0 0
D. ALEXANDER 4 0 0 0
M. MCCULLOUGH 3 1 0 0
D. FRANCIS 3 0 0 0
B. HAWKINS 2 2 0 1
L. MULLINDER 2 1 0 1
L. FRAZIER 2 0 0 0
J. PATRICK 2 0 0 0
C. MCKENZIE 2 0 0 0
O. MORGAN 2 0 0 0
M. ADAMS 1 0 0 0
K. SHOLOGAN 1 0 0 0
J. FREEMAN 1 0 0 0
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Had to miss the start of the game.

Not all that fired up to do a post game review. Don't want to be negative, but ...

I'll wait 'til some others comment.
MacNews
Team Captain

Printers and the offense were flat...they were not 'in-sync'. Then Casey got hurt, and that was the game.

I wouldn't say Lulay looked ready, but then again he had just got thrown into the game. The Lions need to get on the same page, and hope Printers will be ready for the next game... :dizzy:
Bobbyp
Champion

How about a screen pass or a draw play once in a while or a reciever running a short route over the middle for a quick hitter to slow the pass rush down. Cant be any worse than what happened. All they have to do is look at the other team does to see what works.
Some mispelling may or may not occur as well as using a word incorrectly in my posts
READER CAUTION IS STRICTLY ADVISED
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Lulay still looked good IMO. Under enormous pressure.

Casey has not looked fast this year ... IMO. Does he have a lingering leg problem? He is still elusive, but I can't say he is fast.

He looks like he is labouring to move. Hamstring problems?
Bobbyp
Champion

Get rid of McKenzie and insert that big bastard they picked up this week at linebacker. Printers doesnt need to throw the ball that hard either put some touch on the passes.
Some mispelling may or may not occur as well as using a word incorrectly in my posts
READER CAUTION IS STRICTLY ADVISED
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Bobbyp wrote:How about a screen pass or a draw play once in a while or a reciever running a short route over the middle for a quick hitter to slow the pass rush down. Cant be any worse than what happened. All they have to do is look at the other team does to see what works.
Suitor commented on that. Slow down the pass rush by going screen, draw, power runs at the rush ends, etc.
Larry Key
Hall of Famer

Bobbyp wrote:Get rid of McKenzie and insert that big bastard they picked up this week at linebacker. Printers doesnt need to throw the ball that hard either put some touch on the passes.

LOL!! :yahoo:

Yup, we're still lacking that big a$$ MLB who can stuff the run. Hate the team using these tweener guys that get blown off the line.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

16 penalties on the Lions vs 8 on the Riders. That is giving up too much of an advantage if your team is to have a chance at victory.

Didn't look like Paris Jackson could contribute. If he can't run at more than what looked like 85%, he will have a hard time getting separation.

Lulay to Simon. Looked pretty good. Simon says he can still run. Beautiful throw.

I liked Casey's adjusted throw to Geroy earlier too.

I like Henderson.

Wally was high on Pittman. Can't say I've seen anything to justify it. IMO a rush end needs to enter the CFL in full roar, using his athleticism and instincts from the get-go.

How long does the team wait to decide that Robert Jordan is not the returner they hoped he would be?

We took a bomb and blew up the O Line from last year. Hmmmm ... not exactly building carefully over time, with new guys ready to step in. And the conversions from D Line to O Line ... Dunno ... but that seems like a reach ...

Our O looked kinda predictable to me. And when the Riders lined up a linebacker unblocked outside, we just let him rush in, untouched, with no hot read. So if a LB lines up in space outside our tackle with no blocker, we have no answer, it seems, except for our QB to run for his life.

Our D looked kind of predictable too. Wide splits ... the Riders go inside. We tighten up ... they go outside. We move the LBs up ... they go about 10 to 15 yards deep on their routes. Looked very predictable.

IMO we are not creative in using different stuff. We take that endaround built for RGM, dust it off, and use it for Jordan. I am very surprised the Riders let it work. I am very surprised some players or coaches were not yelling on the Rider's side: "Watch the endaround." It all seems so obvious. "Here comes the Lions' trick play, the endaround."

And on D, it is like taking candy from a baby. The Riders go: "All we have to do is put 2 LBs outside the right tackle (or left) and they won't have a clue how to block it, or answer it." True.

Creativity and detailed planning sadly lacking. It is all vanilla, and it is all bland, and it is all predictable.
Hawkballer 14
Champion

WestCoastJoe wrote:How long does the team wait to decide that Robert Jordan is not the returner they hoped he would be?
Not bad production today; 11 touches, 157 yards. How much more do you want?
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Only caught the second half. But caught Hamilton vs. Calgyra today, and I think there's a useful lesson or two from that one.

Lulay is telegraphing passes and, worse, aiming the ball. Good on him for avoiding being picked off, but he's not seeing more than half the field and not really looking off defenders or using a pump fake. This offense is doing no favors by not a) providing additional protection by using a fullback as a tight end or b) rolling him out so that plays only use half the field or c) manning up with a six or seven man front and using the run game. These are all adjustments you make when a relatively inexperienced QB is put in the game that weren't made.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the wider variety of pass formations I saw tonight, but, in the second half with an inexperienced backup and an offensive line that's blowing assignments, it's probably not the best tack.

Speaking of a lack of offensive adjustments, it's useful to contrast how Hamilton came out in predominately six man fronts today after getting killed the previous week against Winnipeg, versus how the Lions didn't adjust on the offensive line against the Riders tonight. I think it was David who made the astute observation earlier this week that the line was probably going to have difficulty adapting to the Riders stunts up front and they could have used the extra help, help that didn't come until the 10 minute mark of the 4th quarter. Five sacks later, and there you go.

(If I didn't know better, I would swear I've been typing something like that for the better part of six years now).

Nice to see Geroy catch a long one. Even if it was in garbage time.

All things considered, I think the defence held on as long as it could. But you have to keep the time of possession at least honest, or those guys will wear down, even with a rotation.
I would like to know, however, how Rodriquez got so open on that last TD pass.

Nice to see Gibbs, while getting double teamed, just push both blockers to the turf.

I'm not going to take this one too hard. There's an experience gap between the two clubs. It is what it is. Dust yourself off, get healthy and get ready for the Als.

How long does the team wait to decide that Robert Jordan is not the returner they hoped he would be?

Funny you mentioned that. On the last return, where he got blasted, he had no blocking within 15 yards of him when he caught the ball. The blockers were hell bent to leather on a return right, even though the ball landed between the left hash and the sideline. So I'm not sure that's all Jordan.

I try not to draw conclusions on players and their tendencies until the quarter post (as I learned with Dante Marsh). But off the top, he strikes me as average to this point.

BTW, can someone tell me why Hamilton tried a field goal at the end of the game instead of a punt or a quick kick for the single? Lining up for that field goal made no sense to me at all.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Hawkballer 14 wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:How long does the team wait to decide that Robert Jordan is not the returner they hoped he would be?
Not bad production today; 11 touches, 157 yards. How much more do you want?
Yeah, Jordan wasn't bad. Is he as good as the better returners around the league?
R. JORDAN 8 136 17.0 26 0
17 yard average on kick returns.

He had 8 kickoff returns. His longest was 26 yards. Is that the best returner they can find?
H. CHARLES 3 86 28.7 46 0

I wouldn't mind having that 29 yard average return, versus a 17 yard average. Seemed like no threat to break one. But as I said, Jordan was not bad tonight. He hung onto the ball.

O'Billovich found Marcus Thigpen. I wouldn't mind that kind of production.
Ravi
Legend

cromartie wrote: BTW, can someone tell me why Hamilton tried a field goal at the end of the game instead of a punt or a quick kick for the single? Lining up for that field goal made no sense to me at all.
The Ticats had a decent wind behind them although that was still a very low percentage kick for DeAngelis. You are right that a pass to, say, Stala and then a quick kick might have had a better chance.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

We've seen too many of these lopsided blowouts at home for the past 12 months.

I can live with a .500 team but you better be competitive in front of your own fans or they simply will stop coming back. After that performance and a short turnaround, don't expect to see the blackout lifted for Montreal next Friday.

Some other thoughts:

Offensive line: Dorazio's "dartboard" philosophy for 2010 (playing basically everyone out of their natural position) looked promising last week but was overwhelmed big time by the Riders ever-changing fronts.
Duckett looked like a turnstile much of the night and gift-wrapped player of the week honours for Brett Hawkins.

Tad Crawford: I give him credit that he is at least around the ball but the kid must start making plays. This is what I feared watching him the past couple of seasons in spot duty — always seeming to be a split second late. As soft as Barron Miles was in the twilight of his career, he still had a nose for the ball and could handle man coverage. Crawford cannot. Got burned by Getzlaf on a 2nd and 20 and also dropped an INT in the end zone.

Brent Johnson: We were quickly reminded why he has been relegated to a rotating role when everyone is healthy. Had an opportunity to make 2 or 3 big plays in the early going but no longer has the extra gear to do it. Reminded me so much of last season.

It was 13-10 when McCallum brought down the high snap and tried to run for the first down. I thought he had time to kick it on the run but he thought he could get to the 1st down marker. Seemed to turn the game for good.
prj
Starter

A team that cannot adjust to that frenzied pass rush will never be successful. Oh, there's that word again: "adjust."

Are we to believe that the offense is SO inexperienced that they haven't put in a screen pass yet? Or a draw? Or utilize a skilled back who was being successful? The talent level is there, but the offense is simply unidimensional. This has been said on this board for YEARS. And nearly identical criticisms have been made of the defence. Tonight, even the incredibly bad TSN crew could figure out what was going on.

I'm sorry Wally, I'm impressed with the talent and their spirit, but not with the way it is being utilized. I really doubt that the OC or DC are up to the task. I understand that you want an all Canadian crew to succeed, but this is becoming painful to watch.