Whitecaps unveil new jerseys

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

MacNews
Team Captain

The Bell logo fills at least three times the space taken up by the spiffy new Vancouver Whitecaps logo on the team's Major League Soccer jersey.

That's the reality of multi-year, multimillion-dollar jersey sponsorship deals like the one announced Thursday by the Whitecaps and Bell.

Bell Mobility president Wade Oosterman noted the deal is unique because it will give Whitecaps fans access to the latest in Bell technology.

Bell mobile clients will be able to view unique Whitecaps content on their smartphones next year -including live matches and behind-the-scenes access to players and coaches.
Full Article

How come Lions fans don't get any sweet deals from our jersey sponsors?
Robbie
Hall of Famer

It looks like there are mixed reviews of the new logo.

祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Boring jersey. Boring colors. Boring advertising.
Spud387
Champion

And here is what happens when an organization that traditionally isn't used to having thrown at them does. They act short sighted. Soccer jerseys traditionally have the sponsor's logo larger than the club's but the trick is to keep the jersey looking good. Lots of teams pick companies with interesting logos to add spice to their jerseys, Whitecaps picked Bell........ and what is their logo? the word "Bell" print in Arial font. good grief.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

I know there was an effort to have mountains and ocean in the logo, but geez. This is a really simplified look. I can't imagine it will generate huge revenues for team products.

The previous Whitecap logos could always be seen around the city.
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Thought the new logo was BELL, until I saw the tiny logo near the arm.....ugh
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

The new logo looks very English to me. Boring.

I expect it bears the influence of Paul Barber. IMO the English are not noted for sartorial taste or design style. Boxy, uptight, anal retentive.

Gong the Bell on this design. :thdn:
"The logo is going to help define us; it's going to become part of the identity of this city," said Paul Barber, CEO at a press conference. "One of the things for us being a successful major league soccer club was to incite and grow real enthusiasm for our brand and grow the sport of soccer across Vancouver and B.C."
The logo, designed in collaboration between Publicis and Adidas, has the words "Vancouver Whitecaps FC" written in white on a blue background with the North Shore Mountains above the club's name and their reflection below in a series of W's.
:good: :wink:

Trademarked. Good move. Someone would be stealing the concept for sure.

http://www.marketingmag.ca/english/news ... 5157_11256

About as lacking in design asthetics as the logo for the London 2012 Olympics.
AC/DC Rocks
Champion

I'm not a big fan of this new logo either, way to simple and boring, and to think it took 10 months to design, what a joke.
The so called mountains are just upside down V's.
I think the ball on the wave logo is a good one, I think that logo would look good with some real mountains in the background.
As for the advertising thing, that's not such a big shock, that's the way it's done now . We can be thank full the jerseys aren't like that stupid hockey tournament they have over in Europe every year.

The best sports logos in Vancouver belong to the Lions
Bighill is Badass
D
Team Captain

That logo is lame, the current one is much better. Just like the canucks orca logo i won't be buying any new whitecaps merch anytime soon
I own The Grey Cup! .com
orangegloves
Starter

This logo has grown on me. If you look at MLS logos over the year this Whitecaps logo is keeping pace with all the other MLS logos. Its sleek, and gets the message across. If they had kept the current logo it looks to cartoonie, and amateur this logo is really BIG league. As for the jersey's, I like the blue one much better. I don't understand the stripes on the white jersey, I think they don't need them at all, but that is just me. As for Vancouver sports logos I have rated them from best to worst:

1. BC Lions (obliviously, was there really any doubt?)
2. Vancouver Giants (great colors, and its really sharp)
3. Vancouver Canadians (very simply logo that gets the point across)
4. Vancouver Whitecaps (sleek and professional)
5. Vancouver Canucks (I like the orca but I think they could do something else. The stick and rink isn't the answer either. I'm waiting to see the jersey change now that the Olympics are over)

I don't think I missed anyone did I?
MacNews
Team Captain

I think you missed how lame this logo is. Yes, it's plain, but that in itself doesn't make it good.

:thdn:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The uniforms are weak. I didn't realize that the Whitecaps changed their name to BELL
AC/DC Rocks
Champion

This would have been my choice, photo shop some real mountains in behind the ball and voila
P.S. I have no idea why some of the white is not coming through, picture is fine on my computer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bighill is Badass
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Whit ... story.html
... said it took about one year and 200 different potential jersey designs before the organization chose its new MLS look that was modeled Thursday by Whitecaps players Martin Nash and Kara Lang.

The primary uniform is all-white with “deep sea” blue trim and horizontal stripes that represent water lines. The Bell and team logos are on the jersey front while the back collar features the words “Since 1974” — a tribute to the Whitecaps’ first season in the old North American Soccer League.

The secondary uniform is predominantly deep sea blue with white trim.
One year of design work, hmmm? Oh yeah, kind of like painting the Sistine Chapel. 200 designs, hmmm? One would think there might have a good one amongst the 200. :wink:

Horizontal stripes that "represent water lines." Not to my eye, they don't. LOL Water lines, huh? Is British design stuck on abstract art themes? Do they think simplifying to a mind-numbing level is artistic?

And they got some marketing guys to write the words that sound like a waiter proudly describing the main courses at an expensive restaurant. ... "deep sea blue with white trim" ... yummy.

The front of the white uniform looks like an overly long child's bib, even covering the private parts in case of accident. One can not really see that rigid, sharply-pointed, little Whitecaps logo above the heart, and that is just as well. The BELL letters on the front overwhelm everything else, loudly, like a gong. :wink:

It's kind of fun trying to write like a mean-spirited art critic.

Oh yeah, here are the uniforms ...
AC/DC Rocks
Champion

I'm not seeing the water lines either, I am seeing some interwoven diamond patterns on the blue jersey, is that suppose to resemble something also?? or is that part of the logo, not sure.
Bighill is Badass