Barron Miles retires and joins Lions staff

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Balraj
All Star

Barron Miles has decided to retire from the CFL and is reportedly joining the Lions staff.

Here is the link:

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=308588
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Congrats Barron and thanks for some outstanding years as BC Lion.

Definitely some huge shoes to fill in the secondary.

And congrats to Wally for actually holding back on that news Friday as he danced around the Miles question even though he knew the answer. One of the first times in recent memory a Lions presser actually provided information that hadn't been previously leaked. :roar:
Rammer
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:Congrats Barron and thanks for some outstanding years as BC Lion.

Definitely some huge shoes to fill in the secondary.

And congrats to Wally for actually holding back on that news Friday as he danced around the Miles question even though he knew the answer. One of the first times in recent memory a Lions presser actually provided information that hadn't been previously leaked. :roar:
At least Barron sticks around the Lions den, he could always make an emergency comeback.
Entertainment value = an all time low
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Veteran defensive back Barron Miles is turning in his shoulder pads for a clipboard and whistle.

The CFL's most gifted and decorated defensive backs announced his retirement from the playing field on Monday, and will join former teammate Mark Washington in the coaching ranks, mentoring the clubs defensive backs.

''I am very pleased to have Barron join the Lions coaching staff for the 2010 season as well as adding his talents to our scouting department,'' said Lions GM and head coach Wally Buono. ''As one of the finest defensive backs to ever play in this league, Barron's career speaks for itself and I look forward to adding his leadership to our staff in 2010.''

Miles spent five seasons in Black and Orange, as well as seven seasons with the Montreal Alouettes. The Nebraska grad and 1998 CFL Most Outstanding Rookie wrapped up a storied 12-year career in 2009 finishing among all-time CFL greats at the safety position. Barron set the all-time CFL record for most blocked kicks (13), ranking second all-time with 66 interceptions (Less Browne 87).

One of the Lions most consistent and dependable defensive performers, Miles appeared in three Grey Cup Championships, including the club's memorable 2006 victory over the Montreal Alouettes.
Thanks for the memories, Barron. You are a Hall of Famer for sure. :beer:

I am glad Wally found a way to get you on staff. It had seemed like Mark Washington beat you to the punch by retiring earlier.

I can see you being a CFL Head Coach someday.

It was very nice to see you get the record for blocked kicks and boost your interception total last year.
nelson95
Legend

Crawford didn't seem ready to me last year...
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
bbang
Starter

FYI, Barron Miles already has coaching experience. He was and maybe still will be an assistant coach with the Cloverdale Lions Atom team. My sons' team played them last year ( we lost 34-8) Geroy was also on the field as an assistant.
"My job is to kick your ass " - Wally Buono
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Since Washington and Miles have joined the coaching ranks, I would like to see Kidd coach the linebackers.
Tighthead
Legend

I think Miles is definitely coaching material, but I am not that wild about this team promoting from within. I think new blood and the critical eye of an outsider would really help a team that has been kind of underwhelming in the last few years.

I would like to see Banks move to safety (he would bring some aggression to the position) and Aragki to the OLB spot. Aragki seems like a tweener S/LB, which is what the team is looking for. I think our D would get more physical at two positions that way, which could really help against the run.