Hamilton fans & Ivor Wynn Security - - Pure Garbage

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Area51
All Star

So it's your teams first home playoff game in 8yrs, it's great football weather, and you can't manage to sell out 30,000 seats? What a stunner to see the lack of fan support. I realize the city's in the economic dumpster, but come on. Seeing all the empty seats looked very bad on the franchise.

The only thing more pathetic was the incompetent security.

First one drunk runs on the field - - ok, that'll happen. But a few plays later THREE MORE drunks come running out. How do you let that happen? After the first guy you'd think security would be watching extra close for anyone coming near the rails.

Halfway through the 4th Q they started throwing garbage onto the field. I swear the "security" had their backs to the stands WATCHING THE GAME. THe number one rule of stadium security is that you FACE THE CROWD to see exactly who's doing what.

On the game tying drive the Lion bench & end zone are was getting pelted with bottles & cans. By this time the security was now facing the crowd, but doing nothing about it. A brawl broke out just after Hamilton scored to tie it, and one of the female security guards ran off in the other direction waving for back up.

I could care less about the bottles and cans being thrown or the fighting - - it just makes me taunt the opposing fans even more. My issue is wit he incompetent "security" just standing around afraid to do anything. These buffoons got PAID to come and WATCH the game for free. If they want to stand around and do nothing that's fine, but at least make them pay admission to do so.

Might have helped them get a sell out today if they had done so.
LFITQ
Team Captain

Pretty sad statement on society that security is even needed and that people don't have the proper decency to police themselves.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The question I have is why is bottles and cans permitted in the stands ? As to fans running onto the fields, unfortunately it happens in every stadium. Fans fueled on alcohol have more guts than brains.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Area51 wrote:So it's your teams first home playoff game in 8yrs, it's great football weather, and you can't manage to sell out 30,000 seats?
Could have said pretty much the same about us ten years ago during the Mohns era.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Leo_on_Rideau
Champion

I attended this game, and the home team fan support was outstanding -- it was pretty close to a sellout (there were some $50 tickets unclaimed in section 5, but that's all I could see from section 22). The fans were very, very enthusiastic for a home playoff date. Keep in mind this is also an industrial town with a suffering economy, and the turnout shows how much people cared.

The flip side of the latter point, however, is that there were a fair amount of jerk-arses in the crowd around us. We took a fair amount of verbal abuse as Lions fans, and one idiot kept threatening me physically (he was doing the point two fingers at your own eyes then point back at the other guy thing) as fans were leaving after the game, telling me he'd see me outside, etc.

I looked for a security guard at that point and there were none to be found, which was a little disconcerting. Thankfully we hung around long enough that most of the yahoos were gone (we were trying to catch Lion players' attention, and in the meantime most Ticat fans left), but I wasn't impressed with the treatment, particularly as we weren't doing anything more obnoxious than cheering for the Lions and waving a BC flag after a big play.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
Area51 wrote:So it's your teams first home playoff game in 8yrs, it's great football weather, and you can't manage to sell out 30,000 seats?
Could have said pretty much the same about us ten years ago during the Mohns era.
Very good comparison. 1999 was the first time in 12 years that the Lions finished first in the west and hosted the West Division Final. Yet the attendance was totally pitiful.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:The question I have is why is bottles and cans permitted in the stands ?
Liquor laws. I think BC is the most uptight province when it comes to liquor laws, which frankly I'm sort of happy about. Ivor Wynne is also a physically small stadium. If you were sitting front row behind the benches, you could probably hear the players talk to each other.
ziggy
Legend

Canuck_4_Life wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:The question I have is why is bottles and cans permitted in the stands ?
Liquor laws. I think BC is the most uptight province when it comes to liquor laws, which frankly I'm sort of happy about. Ivor Wynne is also a physically small stadium. If you were sitting front row behind the benches, you could probably hear the players talk to each other.
Imagine a Grey Cup final between the Cats and the Riders with Joe Smith getting dibs on the empties after the game.
mws
Starter

I guess it depends where you were sitting. I was on the 30 yard line, row fourteen, opposite side of the field from the teams. The fans there were very passionate about their team. We had some sparring all in a good nature and when leaving the game, I received congrats from a few of the fans.

The only a$$holes I ran into were two drunken oafs that attacked a cab driver. I managed to pull one of the &*$@'s off the driver. The rest of the crowd stepped in to back me and the cops were there in seconds.

Let's face it. Jerks that can't handle their liquor are in every stadium crowd. I've been to most of the CFL venues and have seen idiots everywhere. I've also met great, good-natured fans in every stadium. Ivor Wynne is one of my favourite places to see a game. It reminds me of being back in old Empire.

It comes down to this. If you can't drink, stay home.

Now, on to kick a$$ in Montreal. :yahoo:
Jim Mullin
Team Captain

mws wrote: The only a$$holes I ran into were two drunken oafs that attacked a cab driver. I managed to pull one of the &*$@'s off the driver. The rest of the crowd stepped in to back me and the cops were there in seconds.
Partick Kane and his cousin were up vsiting from Buffalo?
Krown Countdown U on CHCH TV and the TSN Radio Network.
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

Jim Mullin wrote:
mws wrote: The only a$$holes I ran into were two drunken oafs that attacked a cab driver. I managed to pull one of the &*$@'s off the driver. The rest of the crowd stepped in to back me and the cops were there in seconds.
oh no u diint! 20 Cent is on the loose!
Check out my lions art http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =4&t=15940

How does a rider fan spell dynasty????

O N E
mws
Starter

Jim Mullin wrote:
mws
Starter

Jim Mullin wrote:
It couldn't have been Patrick cuz he let the driver a tip.
Leo_on_Rideau
Champion

Canuck_4_Life wrote:
No, that wouldn't be a question of liquor laws (which is whether and how much can be served), it's a question of security -- just stadium policy.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Are the fans at Ivor Wynne taunting Casey Printers?

Or is it Casey Printers who is taunting the fans?

祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。