TEAM 1410: Lions new permanent radio home

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SammyGreene
Team Captain

CHUM turns 1410 into TSN 2 equivalent. Apparently new permanent home for Lions football.
TEAM Radio

A message from James Stuart - Vice President & General Manager of CHUM Radio Vancouver….

CHUM Radio Vancouver is the company that owns and operates 103.5 QM/FM, The Beat 94.5, TEAM 1040 and this station, CFUN-AM, better known until now as TALK 1410. CHUM Radio is a very proud and successful company in the radio business. CFUN-AM is the very first radio station that CHUM owned in Vancouver, and this station has enjoyed many glorious years of broadcasting heritage in the Lower Mainland - and we fully intend to keep it that way.

In 1996 CFUN’s very successful run as a music station came to an end and it began its life in the talk radio world. Since that time we as a company have continually and aggressively endeavoured over the years to grow the size of listening audience, and even though the effort has certainly been there, the results have shown us that our business model for CFUN must change - and the time for that change to happen is now.

To those who have listened to TALK 1410 through the many ups and downs of the talk format and changes in styles and personalities…we sincerely thank you and we also sincerely thank the advertisers who have supported the radio station as well over the past years. I truly hope you will give our new station a try, but I also will understand if you decide that it is not for you.

We will be the new home for world class sports personalities including Jim Rome, Dan Patrick, Bob McCown and the best of the best ESPN sports insiders. We will broadcast every BC Lions game, from pre-season to playoffs, and hopefully, all the way to the Grey Cup. Along with that, you’ll be able to listen and join in the conversation with extensive pre and post game shows for all of the Lions games. 1410 is now the new and permanent full time home for BC lions football in Vancouver, and that starts tomorrow night with the crucial, must win game against the Eskimo’s at BC Place. If you’re going to the game, take your radio and you can follow all the action as only Rick Ball & Giulio Caravatta can describe it, right here on TEAM 1410.

If you missed the Canucks game on TEAM 1040…you can now catch game replays on 1410. And when it comes to big games and live sporting events that you want to hear, but just can’t seem to find; 1410 is the place. More NFL football…more English premier league and UEFA champions league soccer…more major league baseball…more NBA, more NCAA college football and the bowl championship series, NCAA march madness basketball and the Final 4. We’ll even take you to huge sports events such as the Masters, the British Open and the Daytona 500, that up until now couldn’t regularly be found or enjoyed on local Vancouver radio.

Very soon, each weekday will start with a complete half hour highlight show that you can hear between 6am and 9am. Get your scores and highlights on TEAM 1410 and then join B Mac and Scotty Rintoul on TEAM 1040 to talk about it.

The new 1410 is now on the air. This is the company that brought full time sports to Vancouver with TEAM 1040. And because we can’t cover it all with just one station…we now proudly bring you, the TEAM 1410.
http://www.talk1410.com/teamradio.htm

Removing the Lions from 1040 sure sets up what Solar Max has suggested all along TEAM 10Hockey. What would Bob Ackles think of this?
LFITQ
Team Captain

TEAM 1040 just better not come along here anymore. they won't be welcome...

Thumbs down to this and this just spits in the face of Bob Ackles IMHO.

i know that now I will try my best to listen to the opposition radio from here on out and avoid both Team 1040 and this 1410 channel.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Excellent!! I can't stand all of that over - excessive Lions talk cluttering up the 1040 airwaves.

Now I can fully dive into the possible 3rd and 4th defensive pairings on the Manitoba Moose and concentrate full time on exactly who should be playing left wing with Kyle Wellwood without having to worry about the hosts possibly mentioning the Lions.

Thank GAWD!!!

rant off.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

LFITQ wrote:TEAM 1040 just better not come along here anymore. they won't be welcome...

Thumbs down to this and this just spits in the face of Bob Ackles IMHO.

i know that now I will try my best to listen to the opposition radio from here on out and avoid both Team 1040 and this 1410 channel.
It is a slap in the Lions face given it was their move to the TEAM 1040 that gave them instant credibility five years ago. Now they send them down the airwaves and sandwich their games around taped syndicated shows. Ackles would have been furious as now there is zero cross-promotion with the Canuck fanbase.

I guess CHUM has got rid of its problem and can justify 24/7 hockey if they like. :bang: At least I can now eliminate 1040 from my pre-set stations.
mrs.joesports
Rookie

Well, I'm still going to listen to TEAM stations for their Lions coverage. If I have to choose between TEAM 1040/1410 or nothing, I'll take the TEAM.

Canucks fans get annoyed when 1040 talks Lions for any length of time. Lions fans get annoyed when the post-game isn't long enough, and so on. It seems that the TEAM couldn't satisfy everyone. Cleaning splitting the coverage of games is a GOOD thing, to me. No more guessing who would be on which station if there was a Canucks-Lions schedule conflict. No more pushing, shoving, and whining amongst the listeners.

Of course, having the Lions come to the TEAM a few years back was a big coup for them....but we live in a country where ultimately, the NHL reigns supreme. The TEAM has to cater to their biggest market. C'est la vie.
This is OUR league...
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

mrs.joesports wrote: we live in a country where ultimately, the NHL reigns supreme. The TEAM has to cater to their biggest market. C'est la vie.
Maybe, but does TEAMALLKANOOKALLTHETIME have to cater to "their biggest market"? No, of course not. They do for a couple of reasons, both obvious. One - money/sponsors (no news there). Two - What is it Belize City Lion always says about media types? Above all, they're lazy. And in this market the easy, lazy way to the thoroughly brainwashed Vancouver public's sporting wallet is HOKKEEHOKKEEHOKKEE.

Good riddance TEAMALLKANOOKALLTHETIME. I hardly knew ye.
mrs.joesports
Rookie

Lions4ever wrote:
mrs.joesports wrote: we live in a country where ultimately, the NHL reigns supreme. The TEAM has to cater to their biggest market. C'est la vie.
Maybe, but does TEAMALLKANOOKALLTHETIME have to cater to "their biggest market"? No, of course not. They do for a couple of reasons, both obvious. One - money/sponsors (no news there). Two - What is it Belize City Lion always says about media types? Above all, they're lazy. And in this market the easy, lazy way to the thoroughly brainwashed Vancouver public's sporting wallet is HOKKEEHOKKEEHOKKEE.

Good riddance TEAMALLKANOOKALLTHETIME. I hardly knew ye.
Does the TEAM "have" to cater to their biggest market? Of course they do. They are a business.

And I'm sorry, I still don't see how having Lions games exclusively on TEAM1410 as opposed to TEAM1040 is an insult to Lions fans. There will still be pre-game, post-game, with the same play-by-play guys. A second TEAM sports radio station seems like a good thing to me. The alternative is trying to accomodate both the Lions & Canucks games on one station, as they've been trying to do, with fans of one team being annoyed when their sport is not covered enough.

I think splitting the game coverage is a good idea. I am not a Canucks fan. I am a CFL & Lions fan.
This is OUR league...
hwgill
Legend

I don't care either, as long as I know where to tune to listen.
" ... a team not being prepared to play is the head coach’s responsibility.” - Jim Barker
LFITQ
Team Captain

Received a tweet from one person on the matter and this is the way he feels about it:
the two stations are affiliated. It's really NOT that big a deal. Same broadcast crew, pregame, postgame.
LFITQ
Team Captain

The issue, as I see it, is the same as what SammyGreene has said.

The Lions are being moved to the other station (fine one all to themselves), however they are going to be sandwiched inbetween shows that are TAPED and not live. Shows that have already aired on TEAM1040.

That is not how a team can build upon its fanbase. That also means that TEAM1040, as I understand it, will be airing a COMPETING show up against the Lions and competing for advertising dollars for that show (when the Canucks aren't playing). That, to me is a poor business model (for the Lions) and one I would have hoped Chayka would be against.

Yes Lions faithful will know where to go to listen to Lions games. And yes, some Lions faithful will follow them there. However, it will not help to grow the fan base as many will see them being pushed off the marketplace and just not go to Team1410. Afterall, Team 1410 is carrying taped shows. Why go there if you have already heard it live on Team1040?

And let's not forget that Team1040 is calling itself "Vancouver's Flagship sports station". So by virtue of their own advertising they saying Team1410 is the second tier.

It also seems disingenuous to the Lions considering, as I understand it, getting the Lions basically saved that station. Bob Ackles passes away and suddenly they start to take advantage of not having someone strong and vocal in the Lions front office.

If 1410 were to have live shows that competed against 1040 and could cover more sports with more phone in calls, then I don't think there is much of an issue. But that does not seem to be the case. Just too bad that TEAM1040 can't handle more than one sport. Not much of a "SPORT(S)" radio station IMHO.
Big Time
Champion

LFITQ wrote: And let's not forget that Team1040 is calling itself "Vancouver's Flagship sports station". So by virtue of their own advertising they saying Team1410 is the second tier.
And that in a nutshell is why I don't like it. It reinforces the believe by many people that the CFL is an inferior, second tier sport. The Team 1040 seems to have all sorts of time to dedicate to shows that have no local relevance: Jim Rome, ESPN radio broadcasts, not to mention running sports breaks to announce that a Canuck player sneezed recently. How is it they can schedule ESPN analysts talking about college football and MLB but the Lions don't have a home on Team 1040? It's ridiculous. Forcing them over to another station in a year where they will already be displaced due to BC Place renovations could be disastrous for the football market.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

LFITQ wrote:The issue, as I see it, is the same as what SammyGreene has said.

The Lions are being moved to the other station (fine one all to themselves), however they are going to be sandwiched inbetween shows that are TAPED and not live. Shows that have already aired on TEAM1040.

That is not how a team can build upon its fanbase. That also means that TEAM1040, as I understand it, will be airing a COMPETING show up against the Lions and competing for advertising dollars for that show (when the Canucks aren't playing). That, to me is a poor business model (for the Lions) and one I would have hoped Chayka would be against.

Yes Lions faithful will know where to go to listen to Lions games. And yes, some Lions faithful will follow them there. However, it will not help to grow the fan base as many will see them being pushed off the marketplace and just not go to Team1410. Afterall, Team 1410 is carrying taped shows. Why go there if you have already heard it live on Team1040?

And let's not forget that Team1040 is calling itself "Vancouver's Flagship sports station". So by virtue of their own advertising they saying Team1410 is the second tier.

It also seems disingenuous to the Lions considering, as I understand it, getting the Lions basically saved that station. Bob Ackles passes away and suddenly they start to take advantage of not having someone strong and vocal in the Lions front office.

If 1410 were to have live shows that competed against 1040 and could cover more sports with more phone in calls, then I don't think there is much of an issue. But that does not seem to be the case. Just too bad that TEAM1040 can't handle more than one sport. Not much of a "SPORT(S)" radio station IMHO.
:whs:

Exactly ... LFITQ . Any station can step up and say they will give you 6 hours of air time for a pre & post game shows, along with the actually game broadcast. It's the additional exposure on non-game days that is so important to potential growth in your fan base.
When you're no longer the "Home of the BC Lions" the stage is set to reduce your CFL coverage. I'll be damned to listen through 12 hours of daily Canucks coverage in hope I might get to hear a 5-minute interview with Geroy Simon. And you know CHUM will go on the cheap on 1410 with nothing but out-of-market syndicated shows.

And what is the annual conflict of Canuck/Lions games? Four maybe five times, depending how far the Lions go in the playoffs? Given the NHL regular season doesn't start until there is about seven weeks left in the CFL season, it's a real lame cop out.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

mrs.joesports wrote: Does the TEAM "have" to cater to their biggest market? Of course they do. They are a business.
I think I made that point clearly. But they don't have to. No business does. That's fine.
Is the biggest market in radio "sports"? Not by a long shot:

http://www.pugetsoundradio.com/cgi-bin/ ... 1238686292

Look, I get how it works. That's why guys like Colin Cowherd on ESPN Radio talks Yankees, Cowboys, Lakers, USC all day. That's what media lazy is all about. Besides,TEAMSHMOCKEY has a terrible signal in my area. I can only get it on my car radio but ever since my car radio got satellite radio...well. 1410s signal is way better. I'll be able to turn the sound down on Rod Black (poster boy for sports media laziness) and listen to Rick 'n' Gulie. I'm happy.
Rammer
Team Captain

LFITQ wrote:Received a tweet from one person on the matter and this is the way he feels about it:
the two stations are affiliated. It's really NOT that big a deal. Same broadcast crew, pregame, postgame.
That in a nutshell is how I feel about it, we may as well adopt the new station and move on. It also sounds like there will be more Lions product on 1410 as well. :thup:
Entertainment value = an all time low