Riders re sign Andy Fantuz

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

MisterJones
Rookie

Reported on tsn.ca

Looks like he'll try the NFL in the offseason though.
Rammer
Team Captain

http://www.leaderpost.com/Andy+Fantuz+s ... story.html

I don't see how he can try the NFL in the off season, as the 1 + 1 begins in February, so that suggests to me that his NFL option window is for 2011, not next season. Regardless he is one of the top NI receivers and still has upside in front of him, so a solid signing if the Riders ever deploy more production from their game schemes for him.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Rick James
Legend

I heard a report on CKNW that he would be allowed to try out in the NFL in his offseasons. How is that possible? Wouldn't he need to be waived through the league first?
Rammer
Team Captain

Rick James wrote:I heard a report on CKNW that he would be allowed to try out in the NFL in his offseasons. How is that possible? Wouldn't he need to be waived through the league first?
Since the contract doesn't kick in until February, he basically has an NFL window time period to find NFL employment and his CFL contract would be voided.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Zarquon
Champion

Rammer wrote:
Rick James wrote:I heard a report on CKNW that he would be allowed to try out in the NFL in his offseasons. How is that possible? Wouldn't he need to be waived through the league first?
Since the contract doesn't kick in until February, he basically has an NFL window time period to find NFL employment and his CFL contract would be voided.

Actually I doubt he has actually signed anything as I don't believe you can go to the NFL unless you are in your option year or at the end of a contract. This is probbly an agreement in principle. Doesn't matter he will be a Rider next year as I doubt he will get much NFL interest.
Meus occupatio est ut calcitro vestri clunis.
Vern Halen
Champion

According to the Riders, Fantuz has verbally committed to the Riders if he doesn't stick in the NFL. The 1+1 would kick in in February while an NFL deal would void the agreement. Previously, most Rider fans could see him bolting for some place closer to home so the Argos and Ti-Cats would seen the most logical choices.

As great a player as he is in the CFL, I'm not sure where he'd fit in the NFL - too small for a TE and not fast enough for a WR, not to mention his injury history. But it's a neat concept, though that other teams may look at: Fantuz gave up his free agency, but is still allowed to have a go at the NFL.

As a Rider fan, I'd be more than happy to see him back in Green and White for 2 more years. Apparently he said he'd try the NFL again after his upcoming 1+1 was over.

We'll see.