Getting Ready For The Riders

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

Yes, we can! Obama won the U.S. Presidency tonight with a belief that an underdog can win. Our Leos can still win the Grey Cup this season, even though we go into the playoffs as underdogs, even though we will have to win on the road, and even though the road will not be easy.

The fact is that the team who wins the Semi-Final has a lot of momentum going into the Western Finals. Coming off a victory they prepared to start the Western Final at game speed. The team waiting to host the Western Final will have waited for two weeks, will not be as ready to play at game speed, and will have a lot of pressure on them to win.

Riders fans are in a frenzy! They sold all their game tickets for Saturday night in around 30 minutes. However, this game pits two teams that are closely matched and in many ways our Leos go into this game as the better team. Let's have a closer look.

OFFENCE

Of the two teams our Leos offence is better than the Riders offence. Our offence scored more points, achieved more first downs, and averaged more yards per game (387) than the Riders offence (369) Both offences protected their quarterback at about the same clip as our Leos gave up 33 quarterback sacks for the season while the Riders gave up 36. However, what really separates our Leos offence in comparison to the Riders unit is that we only threw 19 interceptions this season compared to the Riders 29 interceptions. That could provide opporunity. However, we punted the football a total of 127 times, the second most in the league while the Riders punted 116 times. Our offence can't afford two and outs agains the Riders defense.

DEFENCE

Our defense has been much maligned lately and they have not played to potential. Some see the problem as our defensive schemes, others question our talent, our tackling, and our focus on defense. My view is that it's a combination of both. However, our defence is not as bad as many see it and we do have the ability to come up big on defence in this game.

The Riders defense has been portrayed as some kind of devastating, intimidating defense but the record proves differently. Our Leos gave up the least amount of first downs in the league (357) compared to the Riders defense which gave up 376. We gave up less yards per offence at 354 yards per game compared to the Riders who gave up 357 yards per game. Opposition offences were successful in passing against both units at an equal rate of 60% per game. As for the Riders so called strength against the rush, the Riders defense gave up 110 yards rushing per game while we gave up 109 yards rushing per game. We gave up a few yards more passing per game (277 yards) compared to the Riders who give up an average of 268 yards per game. However, both defenses seem very close in terms of ability to counteract an opposition offence except in two categories and we have the edge in both.

The first of those two important categories is interceptions. Our defence intercepted the football 27 times compared to the Riders 17. The second category stands out even more. The Riders only sacked opposition quarterbacks 28 times this season. Our defence sacked quarterback a total of 68 times.

SPECIAL TEAMS

There is no question that special teams will be critical in a cold weather game. We have the edge in punting as McCallum punted for over a 44 yard average while Boreham only punted for a 41 yard average. Ian Smart averaged over 24 yards per kickoff return and 9.2 yards per punt return. Dressler averaged 20.8yards per return and a little over 10 yards per punt return on a lot fewer punts.

WRAP

The disappointing loss in Calgary still hurts. We had been the Western Champions in 2004, 2005, 2006, and 2007. Finishing third still is almost a shock, even though we could see the strong possibility of it coming. However, hope is not lost. We have a great chance to win in Regina. They are a very beatable team. It's going to take good schemes, wise game planning, good game planning, skillful in-game adjustments, and a team that is really hungry for victory. Win in Regina and we have the opporunity to play a rusty Calgary team with a lot of pressure on it while we would have momentum.

Win in Regina.....yes we can!!!!!!!!!!!!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

I need absolutely nothing to get up for the riders....if the lions could channel my hate they'd win in a walk.
Check out my lions art http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =4&t=15940

How does a rider fan spell dynasty????

O N E
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote: They are a very beatable team. It's going to take good schemes, wise game planning, good game planning, skillful in-game adjustments, and a team that is really hungry for victory.
Herein lies the biggest problem with the Lions all season.
bigolebubbs
prospect

Stellar insight there blitzenburgers! My old man played in the CFL for 10 years (God bless his soul), including one year for our beloved Leos. He was a 6 time all star lineman and a G Cup winner in 71 with the Stamps. He used to tell me that winning in the CFL is simple, it's all about who wants it more. Now I realize that in depth analysis is valid and pertinent. But when the chips are down, it's all about heart and desire and a knowledge that Bobby (my dad's old GM) would want our boys to play with the heart of a true lion--king of the CFL jungle!! Let's go LIONS!!!!!!!!
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

Cool! Who's your old man? 8)
Real women wear orange!!
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Here's hoping Buck's ankle is healthy enough to deliver an accurate deep ball, especially when the Lions have the wind at their backs.
The Riders are prone to the deep ball as we witnessed here with Simon and Jackson both catching long TD passes — especially if the Lions are able to establish Logan early and Gordon starts cheating to play the run — leaving their DBs with no help.

The Lions also felt they could go over top in the early going against the Stamps and Buck missed connecting on long throws to Simon and Jackson at the start of the game when both were open. Those opportunities in certain coverages are only there so often so the execution has to be there.
bigolebubbs
prospect

Lanny Boleski, OT for the Stamps and RG for the Leos.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

In the playoffs, as in the regular season, turnovers are the most important stat. I believe the Lions are 11-1 this year when they win the turnover battle and 0-6 when they lose it, as they did Saturday in Calgary. The key for the Lions is to protect the ball and capitalize on the turnovers they get.
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

As I see it we must either outscore the Riders with a high powered offense clicking on all eight cylinders, an offense which scored third highest in the league with 559 points to their credit, or we must shut down their offense with a nasty, stingy, intransigent defense.

One the like of we have not seen in BC since 2006.

As the old saying goes defense wins championships, but what of our beleaguer D which ranks fifth best with 479 points scored against this season. It now looks as if it is up to them to adapt to the challenge, or be towed out sea and scuttled for good.

The days of wishin' and a hopin' that the opposition makes more mistakes and turnovers than you do are all over now, and we finally get to see just how much character the Lions really have.

In the end the guys have only themselves to look at in the mirror, and that will make for a long off season if they do not play their best game of the season, and leave it all on the field Saturday.

You have got to dig way down and deep.

Let's find that handle!
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
Blitz
Team Captain

PigSkin_53 wrote:As I see it we must either outscore the Riders with a high powered offense clicking on all eight cylinders, an offense which scored third highest in the league with 559 points to their credit, or we must shut down their offense with a nasty, stingy, intransigent defense.
We gave up an average of 25.4 points per game and the Riders defence gave up 25.1 points per game...very littel difference. When you look at our defensive stats it's clear that if we can just not give the Riders any big plays....our offence and defense are better, we get more sacks, more interceptions, and our offence moves the football better.

A huge key is not to have breakdowns on defense that allow the Riders to move the football quickly and to take advantage if we have a receiver open deep, when the Riders gamble to shut down our short passing game with Buck in there.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

it's simple really... just stop the Riders in those second and long situations. But that seems to be something our D has struggled with all year and not just against the Riders. In fact I'd hate to think where we would be without the massive sack tally of Wake & Co. this season.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

This Riders Defence plays better at Mosaic. The Riders Team that showed up to play the Argos should be able to be beaten easily BUT that is moot, cuz the same thing can be said about the Lions Team that played the Stamps. Bottom line is I think BOTH these teams have a lot to prove after rather lacklustre performances considering a home date was riding on their games. I know its gonna be a smashmouth game for so many reasons.
Blitz
Team Captain

notahomer wrote:This Riders Defence plays better at Mosaic. The Riders Team that showed up to play the Argos should be able to be beaten easily BUT that is moot, cuz the same thing can be said about the Lions Team that played the Stamps. Bottom line is I think BOTH these teams have a lot to prove after rather lacklustre performances considering a home date was riding on their games. I know its gonna be a smashmouth game for so many reasons.
It really should be a smash mouth football game. Oppposition teams are game planning offensively to minimize Cameron Wake. If there was every a game that we need Brent Johnson to awake from his slumber it's this one.

Secondly, if Bishop is in there, he is a much better quarterback rolling out than he is in the pocket. Keeping him in there would be a huge advantage for our defense.
Blitz
Team Captain

The Riders O'Day will return for the Semi-Final after being out for four games and Bowman will likely be back in the lineup at receiver after being on the 9 game injury list. The guy he will replace is D.J. Flick, who played for the Riders last game but looks questionable. Makowski will move back to guard with O'Day's return. However, Dominguez will not play and that's a very big receiver out of their lineup.

The good news is that Wes Cates will play even though he's not practicing right now with an ankle sprain. The headache is that Cates plays well injured and there is no question that we have to shut down Cates.

Our Leos had a players only meeting on Tuesday....the second one of the season...
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote: However, Dominguez will not play and that's a very big receiver out of their lineup.
Why ? Is he injured again ?