Edmonton brings back Maurer

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

squishy35
Legend

I guess they needed a way to stop the clock more often. So they bring back the designated injury guy.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/20 ... os_maurer/
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Apparently his current stint in a Navy submarine was not satisfactory to him; the one duty he had was before submerging, and he would yell "DIVE, DIVE, DIVE!!"
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

Jesus, like he's the only player in the league to do it, or to be told to do it.

Every team does it...including...wait for it now.....the Lions! :shock:
http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com :: Ask me how you can help us raise money for Cancer research and treatment on behalf of CFL fans.
hwgill
Legend

It's still funny to be the dedicated fall guy...
:)
" ... a team not being prepared to play is the head coach’s responsibility.” - Jim Barker
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

Thing is he was a pretty a decent utility player too, including the top canadian in the Grey Cup game in 2005.
http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com :: Ask me how you can help us raise money for Cancer research and treatment on behalf of CFL fans.
Vern Halen
Champion

Hmmm...last time I checked, there was no "team-needs-a-timeout-take-a-knee" position on any CFL team's depth chart...
ziggy
Legend

Knocked out in 36 seconds in his second fight, anyone see a trend developing? Someone in the audience yell "take a knee" maybe.
Rammer
Team Captain

OrangeShoes99 wrote:Jesus, like he's the only player in the league to do it, or to be told to do it.

Please inform me as to whom that designated injury is on the Lions?
Entertainment value = an all time low
Vern Halen
Champion

Rammer wrote:
OrangeShoes99 wrote:Jesus, like he's the only player in the league to do it, or to be told to do it.

I know on the Riders, it's Mike Abou-Mechrek....
Hutch85
All Star

I dunno, I watched the '05 Grey Cup and was puzzled at how he could be the top Canadian in it... most of the time he was sitting on the field for his team to take a timeout. Between that and his hyped-up "ultimate fighting championship" venture and quick knockout, I can't say he made that much of an impression in the game (except for butt marks in the turf).
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:

I never said they had a "guy", I said every team does it, and come on Rammer, if you're saying the Lions don't you're drinking some orange kool-aid.
David
Team Captain

Yes, all teams do it but Edmonton in past years has taken it to another level. I can't comment on this year as in all honesty, I haven't noticed it at their games.

I do recall a Lions' lineman went down with a phantom injury after the extra point following Jamall Johnson's long interception return in Hamilton. I'd be doing this board a disservice by stating with conviction which player it was because I honestly don't remember (I want to say it was Dan McCullough but I could be wrong), but I definitely recall Giulio chuckling about it on the radio broadcast and explaining what was going on - giving the defense more time to rest.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
MacNews
Team Captain

I will give the Lions credit, they don't seem to do it too often.
squishy35
Legend

Yeah, but..... Maurer historically always bought the Esks extra time. It's a crappy label for him placed by the coaches. However, he takes the knee for the team....