Sept 20th Rematch

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

How important is this rematch for the Lions?

A win will give them the tie-breaker with the Riders, I can't emphasize just how valuable that is for the Lions given it will put them merely one game behind the Division leaders as well.

Riders think that they played poorly and that the Lions didn't do anything special to limit their success on D and ST. So they must have more to offer and if there is anywhere that they should rise to their expectations, it will be on Taylor Field.

It is not often a team can take two games in the back to back series, let alone when it is the top team in the CFL. The Lions really could put themselves back into the thick of the West race with a win, a loss on the other hand defeats everything that they worked for at BC Place last Saturday night.

There is much more on the line in this game for the Lions than the Riders, but they are looking for revenge of the loss. I expect this game to rival a playoff atmosphere, with the victor moving into a home game playoff date.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

Rammer wrote:How important is this rematch for the Lions?

A win will give them the tie-breaker with the Riders, I can't emphasize just how valuable that is for the Lions given it will put them merely one game behind the Division leaders as well.

Riders think that they played poorly and that the Lions didn't do anything special to limit their success on D and ST. So they must have more to offer and if there is anywhere that they should rise to their expectations, it will be on Taylor Field.

It is not often a team can take two games in the back to back series, let alone when it is the top team in the CFL. The Lions really could put themselves back into the thick of the West race with a win, a loss on the other hand defeats everything that they worked for at BC Place last Saturday night.

There is much more on the line in this game for the Lions than the Riders, but they are looking for revenge of the loss. I expect this game to rival a playoff atmosphere, with the victor moving into a home game playoff date.
agreed on all rammer, lions need this as the stamps should have no trouble with the argos. Edmonton may have trouble with montreal, but so far, the east has had a terrible time beating the west. Just as important as getting closer to the riders is the need to keep in the pack with everyone else in the west. The riders are wrong if they think the bc defense did nothing to stop them, tho bishop did thro to no one a lot. You can bet that the riders will try to stop cam wake. By using a tight end, or a back to come up to him, or running it right at him to make him respect the run. To be honest I think they can stack the box and wake will still eat bishop up. An extra week at practice should help the lions, expecially roberts and logan, and we should see an even fiercer running attack, as well as more sets with our midgets in the slot.
Check out my lions art http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =4&t=15940

How does a rider fan spell dynasty????

O N E
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:How important is this rematch for the Lions?
Yes, you make a ton of sense. I know profootball teams claim to not be 'scared' of each other. I do think thats the case too BUT should the Lions win, they'll be able to have more control over their destiny and get teams thinking, perhaps. Moot right now because they haven't played Saturdays game. But as you noted, the Victor of this game has inside track to a home playoff date. The Lions have played better the last three games (including a road loss to MTL :bawl: ).
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Some thoughts heading into the biggest game of the season part 2:

• All the pressure was on the Lions to win last week. This week it shifts both ways as the Riders could find themselves dropping from first to nearly 4th overnight.

• As much as the Lions are trying to figure out how to effectively use Roberts and Logan they are going into the teeth of the Riders strength which is their front 7. You still have to keep them honest but the Lions need to keep attacking deep with Simon and Jackson, especially matched up with Morgan which occurred on both TDs. Would love to see Roberts used on those wheel routes we used to always see with Antonio Warren.

• Is Ruffus Skillern demoted to fifth receiver or even the practice roster after his performance? His chance for redemption might have been the 3rd or 4th balls he dropped. I see his spot going to Hill or even a healthy Coleman as the Lions can't even flirt with a similar outing in such an important game.

• On defence, the Riders got lucky on a couple of misplayed deep balls with the coverage in place. Miles needs to keep paying close attention to Dressler. But I expect the Riders to try to get even more touches for Cates and try to exploit an area that has been a concern to the Lions all season. Loved the different looks the front four was giving Bishop and expect even more of it and the Riders paying close attention to #91.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

IMHO what makes a series sweep so difficult is that the loosing team gets lots of game film showing them their mistakes and the opportunity to make corrections and adjustments for the very same team in the very next game. With all their platooning and different formations the Lions have given Riders a ton of film to look at.

Soooooo... the Lions need to totally change things up on O and D. On Offense instead of working on plays that worked, they should practice plays that were never called in the last game.
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

SammyGreene wrote:Some thoughts heading into the biggest game of the season part 2:

• All the pressure was on the Lions to win last week. This week it shifts both ways as the Riders could find themselves dropping from first to nearly 4th overnight.

• As much as the Lions are trying to figure out how to effectively use Roberts and Logan they are going into the teeth of the Riders strength which is their front 7. You still have to keep them honest but the Lions need to keep attacking deep with Simon and Jackson, especially matched up with Morgan which occurred on both TDs. Would love to see Roberts used on those wheel routes we used to always see with Antonio Warren.

• Is Ruffus Skillern demoted to fifth receiver or even the practice roster after his performance? His chance for redemption might have been the 3rd or 4th balls he dropped. I see his spot going to Hill or even a healthy Coleman as the Lions can't even flirt with a similar outing in such an important game.

• On defence, the Riders got lucky on a couple of misplayed deep balls with the coverage in place. Miles needs to keep paying close attention to Dressler. But I expect the Riders to try to get even more touches for Cates and try to exploit an area that has been a concern to the Lions all season. Loved the different looks the front four was giving Bishop and expect even more of it and the Riders paying close attention to #91.

As poorly as skillern played saturday i dont think you can give up on him after one bad game, we all have bad days/games, its life. Also the riders can finish no worse than a tie for first after satudays game, as edmonton and calgary are still just two points back of them.

O N E
mightybuck
Legend

I think skillern will come back strong this week. What made it great about Buck being able to spread the ball around last week against hamilton is the confidence you have in your receivers. Thats what made the 49ers so great in their heyday was that both Young and Montana knew they could go all over the field. We need that same kind of ability this week and I think Skillern will step up. Also I think if Buck can hit logan and Roberts out of the backfield - we will have a great shot at back to back wins.

Defense can not allow TD drives right after we score. This happened in Montreal and again saturday. In the fourth quarter - we would score and then the D would let the other team come right back down the field. We need to score and then a 3 in out and put a stop it.
"The most competitive men love the most competitive game" Vince Lombardi

A true friend is someone who walks in when everyone else is walking out
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

mightybuck wrote:I think skillern will come back strong this week. What made it great about Buck being able to spread the ball around last week against hamilton is the confidence you have in your receivers. Thats what made the 49ers so great in their heyday was that both Young and Montana knew they could go all over the field. We need that same kind of ability this week and I think Skillern will step up. Also I think if Buck can hit logan and Roberts out of the backfield - we will have a great shot at back to back wins.

Defense can not allow TD drives right after we score. This happened in Montreal and again saturday. In the fourth quarter - we would score and then the D would let the other team come right back down the field. We need to score and then a 3 in out and put a stop it.
I kept waiting for the back passes but none came, was very disappointed, they worked to perfection in montreal and hamilton.

O N E
Rammer
Team Captain

mightybuck wrote:I think skillern will come back strong this week. What made it great about Buck being able to spread the ball around last week against hamilton is the confidence you have in your receivers. Thats what made the 49ers so great in their heyday was that both Young and Montana knew they could go all over the field. We need that same kind of ability this week and I think Skillern will step up. Also I think if Buck can hit logan and Roberts out of the backfield - we will have a great shot at back to back wins.

That would be a 2 and out, but I do agree. Both times it could have been game over in reality for the Riders, but the D allowed long drives that just sucks the life out of the team after the high of a TD, let alone stepping on the throat of the opposition that should be taking place.
Entertainment value = an all time low
joesports
All Star

mightybuck wrote:Defense can not allow TD drives right after we score. This happened in Montreal and again saturday. In the fourth quarter - we would score and then the D would let the other team come right back down the field. We need to score and then a 3 in out and put a stop it.
After that TD by the Riders, Benevides blew a gasket at the D when they got back to the bench...I thought his white board was going to go airborne or split in half. Then when he finished yelling, he just walked away. Wisely, none of the players tried to talk to him until he cooled off. 8)
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

JohnHenry wrote:Unfortunately, that wasn't the first game that Skillern has played poorly. He did look pretty good in a couple of games, though. You would hope he will bounce back and he will be given that opportunity, like Nicolson, to redeem himself. But when you compare him to a topflight receiver, they never have complete washout games like that. I guess if the Lions had anybody else they would already be in there, especially now with J. Clermont going for xrays on his shoulder.
You dont think so? Hell man, randy moss had two horrid seasons in oakland, not just a game, SEASONS. I've seen games where copeland has had 3+ drops, same with lewis, hell i even saw a game where simon had 4 drops, last year against winnipeg here, those are premier guys from both leagues. Everyone has bad days. Thats rough about clermont. Its amazing he got injured, they guy is built like a brick, didnt think anything could faze him. not after the hit by nugent against the peg and there have been a couple others....just amazing.

O N E
Blitz
Team Captain

This is a huge game and a win would put us back in the 'hunt'! Once again Richie Hall will try to play the underneath stuff tight right from the start of the game. Last game Buck was wise to try to go over the top fairly early, even though he wasn't successful, because it helped open up some of the underneath stuff. Still, the Riders played us really tight and Buck burned them in the fourth quarter, after our offence had struggled in the third, with only one first down.

Buck is throwing his deeper balls much more accurately and confidently now. However, we will likely get a strong dose of Wes Cates in Regina. We have to stop him while still getting pressure on the quarterback. If we rush four or five, blitz skillfully, our defense has a good chance to shut them down. However, we'll need better games from Miles and Banks in the secondary in order to do that!!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Our linebacker play will be a key to this game. It has been discussed over and over in any number of threads. I think it is evident that our play has not been up to the standards set in previous years.

Once a runner like Cates breaks the LOS, he is running in space. The DBs have to break off pass coverage to come up. At least one of the outside LBs is in pass coverage. The middle LB, Javy Glatt, tries to fill a hole in the line, and is sealed out of the play. Or an O Lineman, usually the center, comes out and gets a piece of Javy, taking him out of the play. It is not sweeps that are giving us trouble. It is runs up the middle or off tackle.

IMO ... Jamall Johnson is underutilized against the run, especially on first down. Jay Pottinger, lighter, quicker and faster this year, seems to be developing as a run stopper. Meantime, Javy is the one who is best in pass coverage. Our LB packages have these priorities in reverse.

Stopping Cates will obviously be a major key to the game. If we can keep up the pressure on Bishop, we should be OK in pass defense.

I expect our O will be effective against the Riders. Hopefully, we can sort out how to best utilize Charley and Stefan this week in practice. My guess is Charley will be the primary ball carrier, with Stefan the primary kick returner once again.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:

This is a huge game and a win would put us back in the 'hunt'! Once again Richie Hall will try to play the underneath stuff tight right from the start of the game. Last game Buck was wise to try to go over the top fairly early, even though he wasn't successful, because it helped open up some of the underneath stuff. Still, the Riders played us really tight and Buck burned them in the fourth quarter, after our offence had struggled in the third, with only one first down.

Buck is throwing his deeper balls much more accurately and confidently now. However, we will likely get a strong dose of Wes Cates in Regina. We have to stop him while still getting pressure on the quarterback. If we rush four or five, blitz skillfully, our defense has a good chance to shut them down. However, we'll need better games from Miles and Banks in the secondary in order to do that!!
First thing we've agreed on in ages! I'll add Ryan Phillips to the list though. IMO he has been less than stellar this year.