Official 2008-09 Vancouver Canucks Season Thread

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

With the pre-season coming up soon, I might as well start off this long thread.

The biggest news so far is that as I expected, the Canucks will be retiring Trevor Linden's #16.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columb ... nucks.html
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Expect a lot of man-tears in the building that night! I still get choked up when I remember the last game and the love he got from the fans and everyone else on the ice (and I was fortunate enough to be there!) Iginla bringing the rest of the Flames out to shake his hand is one of the classiest things I've ever seen from ANY athlete.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Early season prediction. 12th place.

Gillis is a fraud.
Hawkballer 14
Champion

Soundy wrote:Expect a lot of man-tears in the building that night! I still get choked up when I remember the last game and the love he got from the fans and everyone else on the ice (and I was fortunate enough to be there!) Iginla bringing the rest of the Flames out to shake his hand is one of the classiest things I've ever seen from ANY athlete.
Agree wholeheartedly. :beauty:

I, for one, will definitely be around a TV that night.
CartWheelFan
All Star

I noticed in the Province today that the season opener (vs the Calgary Flames) will feature a tribute to Luc Bourdon. Hopefully the (well deserved) tribute to TL will be on another night. TL deserves his own night, as does the memory of Luc Bourdon.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

"Trevor Linden Night" has already been announced - #16 will become only the second Canucks jersey raised to the rafters, during the home game vs. Edmonton, on Dec. 17.
(\__/)
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Soundy wrote:"Trevor Linden Night" has already been announced - #16 will become only the second Canucks jersey raised to the rafters, during the home game vs. Edmonton, on Dec. 17.
And when was the sellout, eye-tearing ceremony at BC Place when Lui Passaglia's #5 or Jamie Taras' #60 had their numbers retired. :bang:
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
Soundy
Hall of Famer

I dunno about you, but I got pretty misty at that one.

You may not have noticed, but it's actually not as easy to sell out a 60,000-seat venue as it is to sell out an 18,000-seat venue.
(\__/)
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Soundy wrote:I dunno about you, but I got pretty misty at that one.

You may not have noticed, but it's actually not as easy to sell out a 60,000-seat venue as it is to sell out an 18,000-seat venue.
But even for a sentimental, historical player like Passaglia or Taras.... :x
祝你龍年行大運。
CartWheelFan
All Star

Soundy wrote:I dunno about you, but I got pretty misty at that one.

But when the seats at the 60,000-seat venue are a tenth of the price of the 18,000-seat venue...?
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Robbie wrote:
Soundy wrote:"Trevor Linden Night" has already been announced - #16 will become only the second Canucks jersey raised to the rafters, during the home game vs. Edmonton, on Dec. 17.
And when was the sellout, eye-tearing ceremony at BC Place when Lui Passaglia's #5 or Jamie Taras' #60 had their numbers retired. :bang:
Last time I looked Jason Jimenez was wearing #60....maybe he could confirm? :wink:
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

West Coast Blue Fan wrote:
Robbie wrote:
Last time I looked Jason Jimenez was wearing #60....maybe he could confirm? :wink:
Oooooooh burn!

Do you think if Linden had retired back when there were 6,000 people going to Canuck games they would have sold out? Possibly not.
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

The canucks, like the last few years, will be incredibly hard to watch.....the canucks basically drove me to declare football as my #1 sport...i cant watch that drivel no more.
Check out my lions art http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =4&t=15940

How does a rider fan spell dynasty????

O N E
CartWheelFan
All Star

Wakesbetterthanyou wrote:The canucks, like the last few years, will be incredibly hard to watch.....the canucks basically drove me to declare football as my #1 sport...i cant watch that drivel no more.
Just because the Canucks have disappointed you recently doesn't mean that you need to bump hockey down a notch, maybe you just need a new team, try backing a winner see how that makes ya feel :beauty:
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

CartWheelFan wrote:
Wakesbetterthanyou wrote:The canucks, like the last few years, will be incredibly hard to watch.....the canucks basically drove me to declare football as my #1 sport...i cant watch that drivel no more.
Just because the Canucks have disappointed you recently doesn't mean that you need to bump hockey down a notch, maybe you just need a new team, try backing a winner see how that makes ya feel :beauty:
Trouble is, every year, there is only 1 winner.