Buck Pierce or Jarious Jackson?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Luke
All Star

There may already be a thread about this, if so, just merge them or delete this one, but I think there's a very good chance that Dave Dickenson will move on, leaving Buck Pierce or Jarious Jackson to be the starter. If this happens, who do you prefer?

Personally, I think its a toss up. I think that based on 2007, J-Jack has to be the starter going into training camp, but I would love to see Buck Pierce regain the form he had in 2006. It was so apparent that he was the natural successor at that point, although Jackson's emergence has clouded that somewhat.

Regardless of who Wally Buono decides upon, I think that our Leos are in great shape at the QB position!!! No offense to Dave Dickenson, but after five years I think its time to move on. Dickenson did a fantastic job leading this team off its deathbed, and helping to restore respectability and prestige back to our team, but its now someone else's turn.

Good luck to Jarious and Buck!! I know they'll both do great.
Rammer
Team Captain

JJ hasn't been signed for 08 as of yet, I think that I will wait to find out who will be the contenders.
Entertainment value = an all time low
chimpy

I just heard on team 1040 that a lot of the media thinks this should be Bucks team he is a little more athlectic than JJ and i think JJ stil does not read deffenses as well also. But i think they will both be back That is jj and Buck pierce , but i also think Dave is going to move on to another team i have got a gut feeling about that , i think he does not want to yet sit on the sidelines and coach/ player . So i see him in Calgary next year working with Henry Burris and playing alot too. I am renewing my season tickets because there is rumers out there that DD is going to do this.

Good luck Dave you have rescued this Francise when we were going to fold. you did a fantastic job.

Take care of your heath first.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Buck Pierce all the way if up to me (its not). I saw him play in a preseason game (2005, IIRC) and said to myself then, he's got what it takes. Just an opinion, obviously, but I haven't been as surprised as others to watch him progress. I'm sure that if things stay as they are scouting wise ( :cr: ) well get some more diamonds in the rough that no ones ever heard of until other CFL teams fans say :x where did you find him?
Tighthead
Legend

One skill that JJ has in spades - the man can take a hit.

I would like to see him and Buck fight it out for #1.

I also think DD will look to catch on somewhere else if the Leos let him go. Everything he says and does suggests that he wants to keep on.
Big Time
Champion

I set let them fight it out and let the best man win. I think JJ's arm is much stronger than Buck's but it's about who gives the team the best chance to win.
lion24
Legend

My feeling is that Pierce COULD be a QB with much more mobility than DD but with the same efficiency which could make him the number one QB IF he can stay healthy :cr:
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

chimpy wrote: I am renewing my season tickets because there is rumers out there that DD is going to do this.
I thought in another thread that you're not going to renew. Interesting. :?
Balraj
All Star

Buck Peirce is a junior version of DD. I'd say sign JJ and let them battle it out for the #1 job. If you still can't decide I'd use them as a one - two punch and use both.
Joshua

Buck is by far your best bet

regardless of going 9-3 as a starter...JJ never showed what Buck did the year before IMO
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Joshua wrote:Buck is by far your best bet

regardless of going 9-3 as a starter...JJ never showed what Buck did the year before IMO
One thing about Buck. He seems to start a game with confidence. He is very mobile, with a good arm. If he could only stay healthy ...
Don Miller
Legend

:yes: Buck for sure can be the starter. He has a decent arm and runs better than a lot of qb's. He seems a little on the brittle side although the hits he took were after he was down on the turf. I like JJ he has a lot of arm strength but I think Buck at this point can read defenses better. I don't know if DD is going to stay on. The salary cap issues are going to be a problem unless DD is willing to be a player/offensive coach. I think he can really help both Buck and JJ a lot with his knowledge of the game. Time will tell. I think the qb situation will be rectified by the end of the year.
Peanut Butter Joe/Willie Show
SammyGreene
Team Captain

I believe the only way DD is back in ’08 is if Jarious gets a lights out offer from another CFL team which I don't expect will happen.

I think things will move very quickly with the Lions QB situation and should be clarified prior to Wally's annual Christmas holiday in Hawaii.

•After discussing possible options, DD is given his outright release which will allow the Lions to avoid a bonus payment he is due in early January. Given how little he played this past season, the Lions would hardly seem cheap making such a move. Wally has to make this tough decision now with the ’07 season fresh in his mind.... not in February or March when DD says he is feeling great yet is still only one hit away from being shelved for good. This will also allow DD plenty of time to look at other teams (Calgary or even TO with an eratic Bishop at the helm).

I would hate to see him go to another team but these are the tough decisions Wally is paid to make. With two very capable and younger QBs behind him, the time is now to do it.

•Working off the ’08 SMS and DD's contract off the books.... JJ is signed prior to being a FA for similar money to what Pierce is making. Both come to training camp to battle for the No. 1 job. Lions also have room to seek other FAs... to upgrade at LB or elsewhere.

I like Pierce's upside more than JJ but his injury problems are somewhat of a concern.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

:whs:

Excellent points, Sammy.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Teams out there now seem to be pretty well set with their qb situation. I'm thinking DD moves on and the Lions at this moment are now eyeing Buck as their qb going forward.

I would say Buck moves to starter, JJ backup and or starter during injuries and what's his name is number three. I really don't see it unfolding any other way.