NFL QBs making use of radios in helmets

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

120dB
Legend

I understand in the NFL some QBs make use of radios in their helmets to hear communications from the sidelines when the noise level is high.

Has the CFL experimented with this technology in helmets?
Rammer
Team Captain

The helmet headsets have been cost prohibitive, but like all technology after time that price reduces to the point that the CFL is considering it.
Entertainment value = an all time low
almo89
Legend

I don't really like that idea. I prefer hand signals and other forms of communication. I mean that way at least the crowd can factor in.
Barrin_rocks07

almo89 wrote:I don't really like that idea. I prefer hand signals and other forms of communication. I mean that way at least the crowd can factor in.
Amen, I like it the way it is. Football players have been dealing with noise since day 1, its part of the game.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Hand signals like the one Murphy gave Chick last weekend? :lol:
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

That's old technology in the NFL. They've been using it for several years.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

120dB wrote:I understand in the NFL some QBs make use of radios in their helmets to hear communications from the sidelines when the noise level is high.
Yes, this has been going on for years... a decade at least.
Has the CFL experimented with this technology in helmets?
According to a thread Blitz started on here a few weeks ago (have a look for it), they will begin doing so next year.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Yank In BC
Hall of Famer

almo89 wrote:I don't really like that idea. I prefer hand signals and other forms of communication. I mean that way at least the crowd can factor in.
How does a crowd effect hand signals?
I have my head up my butt - 120db
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

I think he's suggesting that without radios in helmets the crowds can still play a factor meaning a noisy crowd would force teams to resort to hand signals. Use the radios and the crowd is no longer a factor. At least that's what I'm getting from that.
mightybuck
Legend

radios are good in helmets they can serve a number of purposes

1. Get the play from the coach
2. The coach can tell you what receiver is open or if a blitz from the weak side is coming (provided the coach is not required to turn it off and its not regulated)
3- music can be played to the QB after the play to calm him down or pump him up, music can be broadcasted into the huddle through external earhole speakers
4-His wife can call and tell him what to bring home from the store or what the kids have done wrong and they are waiting for him to come home to take care of it.
5-Telamarketers can call with offers from cable TV
6- His wife can call and tell him what problem she forgot to tell him, usually that call comes in the middle of the blitz
7- Father can call while QB is laying on the ground and tell him to get up
8- Mother can call while QB is laying on the ground and ask if you are ok?
9.- Can listen to the Hockey game after handing off the ball or during a blowout
and no. 10- Agents can call during timeouts, better than cell phones
"The most competitive men love the most competitive game" Vince Lombardi

A true friend is someone who walks in when everyone else is walking out
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

mightybuck wrote:radios are good in helmets they can serve a number of purposes

1. Get the play from the coach
2. The coach can tell you what receiver is open or if a blitz from the weak side is coming (provided the coach is not required to turn it off and its not regulated)
3- music can be played to the QB after the play to calm him down or pump him up, music can be broadcasted into the huddle through external earhole speakers
4-His wife can call and tell him what to bring home from the store or what the kids have done wrong and they are waiting for him to come home to take care of it.
5-Telamarketers can call with offers from cable TV
6- His wife can call and tell him what problem she forgot to tell him, usually that call comes in the middle of the blitz
7- Father can call while QB is laying on the ground and tell him to get up
8- Mother can call while QB is laying on the ground and ask if you are ok?
9.- Can listen to the Hockey game after handing off the ball or during a blowout
and no. 10- Agents can call during timeouts, better than cell phones
:lol: All kidding aside, they would have to have a surefire way to shut down the technology during a play. I don't want a coach warning a QB of a backside blitz or telling him a receiver is open on a corner route.
mightybuck
Legend

All kidding aside, they would have to have a surefire way to shut down the technology during a play. I don't want a coach warning a QB of a backside blitz or telling him a receiver is open on a corner route.
They do have to turn it off with the NFL - my question has always been - at what point must it be turned off and what is the system they use to regulate it. Is there a frequency that is regulated by a NFL official? I dont know - but would like to find out. I meant to ask Buck that question after his rookie camp tryout with Houston a few years ago. But I dont know if he got to that stage during his time there to actually use those helmets. I kinda of doubt it.
"The most competitive men love the most competitive game" Vince Lombardi

A true friend is someone who walks in when everyone else is walking out
Yank In BC
Hall of Famer

Lions4ever wrote:I think he's suggesting that without radios in helmets the crowds can still play a factor meaning a noisy crowd would force teams to resort to hand signals. Use the radios and the crowd is no longer a factor. At least that's what I'm getting from that.
Teams already use hand signals anyway to get the play in. Watch the sidelines this week, you will see Kruk and Giduli signaling in the play, one is real the other is the decoy.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Just hope nobody is videotaping them...
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
Yank In BC
Hall of Famer

They do have to turn it off with the NFL - my question has always been - at what point must it be turned off and what is the system they use to regulate it.
From ChicagoBears.com

Larry: You recently answered a question in “Chalk Talkâ€