How bad does Wally want to move Jackson?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SammyGreene
Team Captain

Wow... Wally dropped some major hints he would like to move Jarious Jackson between now at the start of the regular season. Probably realizes it's the best time to do it and JJ walks as a FA at the end of this season anyways.

Today's Province:
"I'm not unhappy, but I'm surprised that a guy like Jarious is still here," Buono said.
Today's Sun:
"Not many third-string quarterbacks have Jarious's experience, or his skill," Buono says of Jackson. "Does he look like a third-team quarterback to you? He doesn't to me."
Problem being there is likely only 1 or 2 teams looks to upgrade their QB depth. Winnipeg seems like the best fit but Wally would have to wynn over Taman after a bad deal for the Bombers a couple of years ago.

That trade also suggests B.C.'s system can inflate a QB's stock, another hurdle that Wally has to overcome.
Lionut
Hall of Famer

The Bombers' QB depth is uglier than an old mudfish. If Taman wants the help, he pays the price and sends BC a high draft pick or good prospect. If not, he can roll out Brad Banks again and see how that works out for him. His call.
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever."
Rick James
Legend

According to Taman, he doesn't think all that much of Jackson as a QB. Either that or he is delusional enough to think wally may part with Buck instead.

I like JJ, but i also believe that most any QB can look promising playing in this offense. I think other GM's around the league may feel the same way, hence no movement for JJ.
Rammer
Team Captain

Rick James wrote:According to Taman, he doesn't think all that much of Jackson as a QB. Either that or he is delusional enough to think wally may part with Buck instead.

I like JJ, but i also believe that most any QB can look promising playing in this offense. I think other GM's around the league may feel the same way, hence no movement for JJ.
The Lions system is a huge help to a QB, but if you accept that as the rule, then you have to wonder why JJ's QB stats aren't anywhere near Buck Pierce's stats. Simply put, I would be hesitant to trade for JJ, knowing that the Lion receivers give a huge advantage to QB numbers and JJ doesn't rate near BP or DD. Imagine what he would do in Winnipeg if he stunk, Taman would be crucified in the media for a second trade with the Lions for a QB that doesn't make the grade. His job security depends upon sound decisions, and while this may work out, if it doesn't Taman is looking for work sooner than later.
Entertainment value = an all time low
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

This is the third straight training camp in which JJ has looked capable of being at least a No. 2 quarterback. But in game situations, Dave and Buck have played like No. 1 and No. 1a and Jarious has been a distant No. 3. The only time he moved the team with any consistency was when Buck got hurt in Hamilton last year but that was, after all, Hamilton.

I think the more likely scenario for the Lions is that one of their top two quarterbacks will be traded after this season and JJ will have the option of moving up on the depth chart or moving on and trying his luck elsewhere.
Rammer
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:This is the third straight training camp in which JJ has looked capable of being at least a No. 2 quarterback. But in game situations, Dave and Buck have played like No. 1 and No. 1a and Jarious has been a distant No. 3. The only time he moved the team with any consistency was when Buck got hurt in Hamilton last year but that was, after all, Hamilton.
Agreed.
B.C.FAN wrote: I think the more likely scenario for the Lions is that one of their top two quarterbacks will be traded after this season and JJ will have the option of moving up on the depth chart or moving on and trying his luck elsewhere.
I doubt that happens, as the Lions would have to move DD who has some bonus pay if that happens, as you can't move the years of success that you have ahead in BP. JJ is going to go in this off season as well, leaving you vulnerable to injury if a 1a or 1b is moved and JJ is gone, unless of course Bell can step up like BP did in his first seaosn. We will see more on Bell on Friday to make a realistic assessment of his skill set.
David
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:That trade also suggests B.C.'s system can inflate a QB's stock, another hurdle that Wally has to overcome.
I've heard that "system" argument many times before. But a QB still needs to make smart decisions and throw the football to the right people. I know it was only a scrimmage, but Jarious was threading the needle all over the field Saturday, showing great poise back there and picking the "D" apart.

I recall being big on Spergon Wynn (yes, I'll admit it), but I think Jarious Jackson brings more to the table, and I'd really hate to lose him. I think a GM would be foolish not to want to upgrade just because he's afraid of getting fleeced.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:
SammyGreene wrote:That trade also suggests B.C.'s system can inflate a QB's stock, another hurdle that Wally has to overcome.
I've heard that "system" argument many times before. But a QB still needs to make smart decisions and throw the football to the right people. I know it was only a scrimmage, but Jarious was threading the needle all over the field Saturday, showing great poise back there and picking the "D" apart.

I recall being big on Spergon Wynn (yes, I'll admit it), but I think Jarious Jackson brings more to the table, and I'd really hate to lose him. I think a GM would be foolish not to want to upgrade just because he's afraid of getting fleeced.

DH 8)
I saw Jarious the good on Saturday, I also saw JJ's throws getting knocked down as they were too flat, something that he hasn't learned in this his third season with the Lions. He has to show more touch, but the problem that I see with that, is his accuracy drops off measurably. Personally I would enjoy seeing JJ take off more using his wheels may be the difference maker for a team becoming interested in his strengths.

JJ reminds me of a closer in baseball, you don't need to mess around with a variety of pitches to keep the opposition off base if you only face them once in a game, the heater will do.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Sorry, just never been impressed with him. Keep DD and BP for another 2 years and grrom someone to be BP's backup.

JJ will be gone soon, and I willwish him well.....just not against us.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

David wrote:

DH 8)
I don't think Wally Buono wants to move Jarius Jackson very badly at all. It's like Spurgeon Wynn. He simply doesn't like to see a guy who deserves a better situation languish at no. 3. Of course, he'd love super duper draft pick for the next great Canadian if it were offered. He also knows that injuries can take down QBs faster than fast. He does have the nice luxury of having a no. 3 QB who could shoot the lights out on the right night or run for his life. He'd make a great slot back.

The "system" in BC has very little to do with a QBs success or elsewhere for that matter.

There is nothing magical about BC's system that makes QBs shine as they have here under the current regime of WB. What they have done is select good talent and then provide sufficient opportunity for the player to develop without being tossed in the deep end of the pool in the first swimming lesson. The QB still has to make the best of his chances and exhibit his talents in game situations.

It is about choices QBs make and talent of course. What Buck Pierce did when he got to play these past two years was to use those opportunities well. He has kept within his abilities for the most part in every game he has been in and doesn't gun the ball normally where it has no business going. He plays smart and safe and thus reduces the margin of error to where it comes down to just execution.

If I have a criticism of JJ it is (from last year during practice) his penchant to want to gun the home run ball even in practice where he should be working on getting a game rhythm to his tosses and play more strategically than gunning the deep ball on any opening he has. As Vic Rapp used to say - "When you toss the long bomb, three things can happen, and two of them are bad." It always looks to me that Jarius Jackson is trying to overplay situations. He needs to change his first orientation from bombing opponents to follow the DD and BP lead and pick them apart. I am sure every DB on the field looks for JJ to beat them long first and foremost where with DD and BP they know they'll take what is open and do it five, six or eight yards at a time if that is that is all that is open.

It is not dissimilar to David Beckham's long free kicks and crosses that worked for two goals for England vs Estonia recently and now "Becks" is back in the media now and today as a hero who they want to stay in Spain/Europe and get out of his LA contract for next year. The problem I see and I like England is that those bombs from Beckham would have been cleared by the world's top defenders instead of bouncing and gliding in the net off a Peter Crouch header or sitter like Michael Owen's goals. That kind of play won't work against France, Italy, Germany or Brazil and now not even Australia, China, Japan or South Korea! But it looked good versus Estonia who won't be in the next World Cup anyways.

The long bomb orientation of JJ reminds me of our svelt 230 lb OT in high school who we'd line behind the QB and direct snap to for that 50 yard bomb he could complete 8 out of 10 times!!! His only problem was he never once did it in a game. Of course, being high school players, we loved that play as it worked in practice!!!
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Rick James
Legend

The coaches and players around a QB have no influence on his performance,

Signed, Jason Maas
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Wally had some very good things to say about Shawn Bell in both papers today.

My take on it is he may want to use the No. 3 QB spot as more of a development spot this season than for a 30-year-old soon-to-be free agent who he believes should have a larger role with another team.

He has made it clear in the past he is not a fan of carrying 4 QBs during the season.

So why not throw some juicy quotes to the media hoping it serves as bait to other GMs who are perhaps checking out what's going on at other camps.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Having watched Marcus Brady play the entire 1st half for the Alouettes on saturday, Montreal should be looking for an experienced backup......Brady was pathetic. With only 2 raw rookies after that, you'd think that Popp would stop with the QB russian roulette (hoping Calvillo NEVER gets injured) and bring in an experienced backup who doesn't totally suck.

I would really love to see what JJ could do under an intelligent Offensive Coordinator who knows how to game plan for a mobile QB........he hasn't had that yet in the CFL.
Lloyd
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The book on Jackson seems to be that he performs well in practice but not so well in game situations. He seems to be underthrowing or overthrowing receivers.