Simmons Offered Contract!!!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=news ... &nid=15031

sounds like what was brought up on here Wednesday, good job Shi Zi MI.

On the Murphy note, he is apparently in discussion with 4 NFL teams, which he has until Feb 15th to make a commitment to one, before his rights revert back to the Lions.
Entertainment value = an all time low
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Lowell Ullrich raises an interesting point about the SMS. If Simmons is brought to camp and blows out his knee for a third time, the team would have to pay him for the season and pay his replacement.
The Lions were concerned because of the ramifications from further possible injury to the receiver, which would place added salary-cap stress on the club associated with the funds needed to pay his replacement.
I can see teams being less likely to take a chance on a player with a history of injuries.
Rammer
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:Lowell Ullrich raises an interesting point about the SMS. If Simmons is brought to camp and blows out his knee for a third time, the team would have to pay him for the season and pay his replacement.
The Lions were concerned because of the ramifications from further possible injury to the receiver, which would place added salary-cap stress on the club associated with the funds needed to pay his replacement.
I can see teams being less likely to take a chance on a player with a history of injuries.
Not on the contract that Wally is offering him, same payscale, just a safe guard built in if Simmons goes down to injury, so that his salary is cut.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=news ... &nid=15031

sounds like what was brought up on here Wednesday, good job Shi Zi MI.

On the Murphy note, he is apparently in discussion with 4 NFL teams, which he has until Feb 15th to make a commitment to one, before his rights revert back to the Lions.
Thanks.....but it's more common sense than rocket science.
Lloyd
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:Lowell Ullrich raises an interesting point about the SMS. If Simmons is brought to camp and blows out his knee for a third time, the team would have to pay him for the season and pay his replacement.
I don't understand the concern about the SMS in Simmons case........his injuries have been season ending knee injuries that put him on the 9 game IR, which is exempt from the SMS.......the replacement player would just take his spot.

In fact, that's why Simmons couldn't play in the 2006 GC.......he was still on the 9 game IR and couldn't come off.
Lloyd
Rammer
Team Captain

Shi Zi Mi wrote:
I don't understand the concern about the SMS in Simmons case........his injuries have been season ending knee injuries that put him on the 9 game IR, which is exempt from the SMS.......the replacement player would just take his spot.

Actually Simmons was replaced on the extended injury list, thus he was not included on our roster for the final games of the season and the playoffs. If Simmons had the injury happen in game 12, his entire salary would be a burden to the Lions. I am sure that is where the wording in the new offer kicks in, not if he is on an extended 9+ game injury.

I am betting that Simmons signs on with the new contract, knowing that he has alot to offer and return some of the goodwill he has received from Wally and the Lions.

In fact, that's why Simmons couldn't play in the 2006 GC.......he was still on the 9 game IR and couldn't come off.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
Shi Zi Mi wrote:

Actually Simmons was replaced on the extended injury list, thus he was not included on our roster for the final games of the season and the playoffs. If Simmons had the injury happen in game 12, his entire salary would be a burden to the Lions. I am sure that is where the wording in the new offer kicks in, not if he is on an extended 9+ game injury.

I am betting that Simmons signs on with the new contract, knowing that he has alot to offer and return some of the goodwill he has received from Wally and the Lions.

You confused me........didn't I just say that?

I was questioning Ulrich's concern about the SMS.
Lloyd
Rammer
Team Captain

Shi Zi Mi wrote:
Rammer wrote:
Shi Zi Mi wrote:

I meant to say (my fault for not beig clearer) was that he had finished his nine game injury list, and was placed on an additional injury list, just as he returned to the Lions mix and he proclaimed himself healthy enough to play.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
Shi Zi Mi wrote:
Rammer wrote:

I meant to say (my fault for not beig clearer) was that he had finished his nine game injury list, and was placed on an additional injury list, just as he returned to the Lions mix and he proclaimed himself healthy enough to play.
You confused me again........"additional injury list"??

IIRC, it was discussed for a few weeks before GC that Wally had erred.........earlier during the season, thinking there was no way Simmons would be healthy in time, had placed Simmons on the 9 game IR which made him ineligible to play in the GC.......something for which Buono had apologized to Simmons on more than one occasion.
Lloyd
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Okay, now I'm confused, too. Here's my understanding of the Simmons situation last year: He was injured very early in the season, but wasn't placed on the 9-game injured list until less than 9 weeks remained in the 2006 campaign, i.e., reg season + playoffs, thus making the balance of his 2006 salary exempt from the 2006 cap (whether those cap rules have changed for 2007 is another matter), and rendering him unable to play under any circumstances for the rest of 2006. It was never clear to me, though, based on this understanding -- and the severity of his injury -- why he wasn't immediately placed on the 9-game list.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.