Grey Cup MVP: Dave Dickenson, Canadian: Paul McCallum

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

Dave Dickenson was named Grey Cup Most Valuable Player and Paul McCallum was named Most Valuable Canadian. While I think Paul McCallum definitely deserved a game award, I was wondering if he might even overtake Dickenson as MVP.

While Dickenson was good with 18 of 29 pass completions, none of them went for TD's and he didn't score any either. I thought maybe even a defensive player might take game MVP.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I think the thing that got DD the MVP tonight was the running. Some key runs in the game where a guy who doesn't run a whole lot put his body in the line of fire to get the job done.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
rb
Champion

The defensive play was a team effort. No individual stood out; they all did their jobs well.

The QB usually gets the award. And Dave was solid. His running made the difference in the 2nd half when Mtl locked down the Lions' receivers.

The O-line did a very good job. Joe Smith ran hard. Paris Jackson had a good first half but other than that, if there is one part of the team that could be questioned today it was the receivers. They didn't drop anything but they weren't exactly getting open after the first 20 minutes.

McCallum not only hit the FG's but he also punted well. Excellent job by Paul

It's a team game; the team played well enough to win. The Als are no slouches and they fought hard. Their offence let them down in the first half.
Grandmaster C
Starter

Sir Purrcival wrote:I think the thing that got DD the MVP tonight was the running. Some key runs in the game where a guy who doesn't run a whole lot put his body in the line of fire to get the job done.
:whs:
R.I.P. Bob
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Paul came through big time, but DD put his body on the line... a couple of head first runs for first downs sealed the deal for DD.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Consistent with my trophy fetish, I now know what the two CFL game award trophies look like. Just like eight CFL individual player awards, the two CFL game award trophies also take the same, generic form. When I find a picture of it, I will post it. It shows two hands emerging and holding a small football.

Personally, I'm not too crazy about the design. Because showing two small hands emerging out of something is sort of like a scene from a horror movie! :shock:

By the way, did Dave Dickenson also receive a truck for his MVP performance? Previous Grey Cup MVP's also received a brand new GMC truck. But I'm not sure if the sponsorship is still there and if that has changed.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote: By the way, did Dave Dickenson also receive a truck for his MVP performance? Previous Grey Cup MVP's also received a brand new GMC truck.
I remember times when the MVP (MOP?) wins a truck and the Top Canadian gets a year's free lease of a car/truck.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:
Robbie wrote: By the way, did Dave Dickenson also receive a truck for his MVP performance? Previous Grey Cup MVP's also received a brand new GMC truck.
I remember times when the MVP (MOP?) wins a truck and the Top Canadian gets a year's free lease of a car/truck.
For the Grey Cup game, the best player is called the MVP. Geroy Simon won the league's Most Outstanding Player (MOP).

Yes, I remember GMC sponsored awards in the past. But what about now? Does Dickenson receive anything else other than his trophy?
Last edited by Robbie on Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

PJ got robbed. McCallum accounted for 18 of our points, while Dickenson wasn't on the field for any of them. McCallum should've got MOP and Jackson OCP
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
rb
Champion

Jackson had a good first half but was a non-factor in the 2nd half.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Jackson did have a great first half... but 6 field goals is pretty huge. DD ran a great offense and really managed the game. I have no problem with either award.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:I think the thing that got DD the MVP tonight was the running. Some key runs in the game where a guy who doesn't run a whole lot put his body in the line of fire to get the job done.
Exactly ! :rockin:
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Both picks were good choices. Dave Dickenson got the team to where PJ could make his record 6 FGs.

Now if they had have credited DD with a fumble that went for a TD, the pick and the game from there on might have got interesting.
tedbear
Starter

Lions_Fan_4_Life wrote:PJ got robbed. McCallum accounted for 18 of our points, while Dickenson wasn't on the field for any of them. McCallum should've got MOP and Jackson OCP
You make a great point. DD was solid out there but in a game where they usually credit the qb when he wins and dump on him when they lose I guess they decided to give it to him. Great on DD as he has put up with a lot of crap.

However I would not have had a problem if they would have chosen McCallum as most outstanding player and If they would have picked Ben Cahoon as outstanding Canadian 11 catches for 137 yards.
LFITQ
Team Captain

tedbear, that is how we had it at my place. However, as one person put it, how can you have McCallum as MVP and being CDN, not also be Top Canadian? As they tend to want to spread the awards around (well at least these ones) it's not likely going to happen.

In fact, I wonder if a CDN has EVER won MVP of the Grey Cup since there was a MVP Canadian player award introduced? Robbie?
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??