Canadian Writers Take on the Grey Cup :(

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Solar Max
Hall of Famer

So this guy is an NHL hockey reporter, just like Tony Gallager.

Since they both cover the NHL only, how could either know anything about sports? Why would anyone worry about what all 256 of their collective neurons did last week?

Mendes is a ******, just like Gallagher. (Note that I capitalized "******" just to show them some respect. Ok, so not so much. )
Hawkballer 14
Champion

Well said Cromartie. :beauty:
Bobbyp
Champion

My comment got deleted lol... I thought there was some sort of computer program that puts stars in where something that is supposed to be edited is?
Some mispelling may or may not occur as well as using a word incorrectly in my posts
READER CAUTION IS STRICTLY ADVISED
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Yeah, I found that too, when I had to google him to find out just exactly who the hell this guy is. It bears mentioning that if you examine the posts on that page, they date back nearly three years, prob before half the planet even heard of FB.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Lion_Pride_26
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:Another reason not to watch Sportsnet. :thdn:
A good reason not to watch Sportsnet Ontario/East. I have no problem with Sportsnet Pacific. Don Taylor and Craig McEwen (sp?), in particular, have always been strong supporters of the BC Lions.
btemp
prospect

Wrong network? Clearly this guys a moron, I'm sure I've spent as much time on a reply as he did on this piece. What an idiotic comment.

As for the ads, he must LOVE Monday Night Football, I'm pretty sure half the game is advertisements.
bclions16
Champion

Great rebuttals, especially sj-roc!

What a clown this Mendez guy is. Why not just say you don't like it and move along? Down here in the US my American friends have really enjoyed watching CFL games. Funny that they aren't all about comparisons or trying to define one league as better than the other. They've just enjoyed the product for what it is and have been entertained.

Kurt Russel, Derek Jeter, and commercials? What on earth does that have to do with being entertained by sports? Get a job with Entertainment Tonight or something. Oh do tell us who Jeter is dating this week! "Enquiring minds want to know!"

Maybe this bozo should read something about his former Sportsnet colleague on a TSN blog: http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/will_hill/?id=300656
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Ravi
Legend

nelson95 wrote:and the point of this is....

Let me guess, writer is from...Toronto?
He is based out of Ottawa.
ziggy
Legend

Ravi wrote:
nelson95 wrote:and the point of this is....

Let me guess, writer is from...Toronto?
He is based out of Ottawa.
Even better explanation for him not following the CFL! He sure likes to name drop, I'm sure that while he saw Jeter , Jeter never saw him! While he could well have been a hanger on in the Yankees dressing room, I'm pretty sure it was the more senior reporters that got the interviews.
Vern Halen
Champion

4 - Point Taken.

CFL fans will tell you that the greatest Grey Cup game ever played was the 1989 tilt between Hamilton and Saskatchewan. Dave Ridgeway kicked a game-winning field goal as time expired to give his team a 43-40 win.

But here's what CFL supporters tend to forget: If Ridgeway misses that kick and puts it thru the end zone, his team still would have won 41-40. And how weird would that celebration have been? One of these years, a Grey Cup will be decided by a single-point missed field goal and all hell will break loose
Yeah - nothing like losing the Grey Cup on a penalty.

BTW - for a writer, you might want to double-check the correct spelling of Dave Ridgway's name.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

sj-roc wrote:
an Mendes explains his Top 10 reasons for not watching the Grey Cup.
CFL fans will tell you that the greatest Grey Cup game ever played was the 1989 tilt between Hamilton and Saskatchewan. Dave Ridgeway kicked a game-winning field goal as time expired to give his team a 43-40 win.

But here's what CFL supporters tend to forget: If Ridgeway misses that kick and puts it thru the end zone, his team still would have won 41-40. And how weird would that celebration have been? One of these years, a Grey Cup will be decided by a single-point missed field goal and all hell will break loose.

Yeah, the earth is going to spin right off its axis. BTW, there's no E in Ridgway. BTW2, the Ridgway kick was not the last play of that game. BTW3, everyone who follows the game understands the rouge rule. The only hell breaking loose would be in the narrow minds of those who accept only the NFL way of doing things.

It could've been one of those classic "kick it in, kick it out, kick it back in" scenarios that can only happen in the CFL. Putting it through the endzone was not a given had he missed. It was a 35 yard attempt so the ball still had to travel at least 55 yards in the air to go out of the endzone. Paul Osbaldiston was in the endzone prepared to boot it back out. On one of the pre-Grey Cup shows Ridgway was talking about the class Ossie showed when he sought Ridge out and gave him the ball. Presumably the Ti-Cats also had a returner back there as well to try running out any wide attempt.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.