Training camp 2023

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SammyGreene
Team Captain

OV:54-40 wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 2:49 pm
Jonathan Kongbo signed ? Quite the collection of Canadian DEs; but Kongbo, like Menard, has the ability to, and has played some inside at DT with the Bombers.
And Lemon released. Pretty dynamic potential change to their ratio plans. Interesting to what they now have in mind.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Jonathan Kongbo signed ? Quite the collection of Canadian DEs; but Kongbo, like Menard, has the ability to, and has played some inside at DT with the Bombers.
At the same time they released Lemon and Herdman-Reed. Be interesting to see how this plays out but I can see a ratio shift from 1 starting NAT DL and 2 LB to 2 DL and 1 LB. Rookie LB Brooks Parker has apparently been very much noticable in the eyes of the coaching staff. Plus they've loved the play of Josh Woods since he arrived late in 2021. Regardless Campbell has tremendous depth and flexibility throughout the front 7. Lots of rotational options on how to use that.

Bummer for Herdman-Reed. His significant other was there in the stands yesterday proudly wearing a brand new replica Herdman-Reed jersey.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
OV:54-40
Starter

SammyGreene wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 2:54 pm
And Lemon released. Pretty dynamic potential change to their ratio plans. Interesting to what they now have in mind.
Likely not going to happen, but they could easily go 3 starter / on the field Canadians in the D-Line rotation; that plus 2 starting National linebackers. 5 starting Canadians on D would be pretty mind-boggling to some - likely too much. :roll:
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I’ve been trying to think of a way for the Lions to keep Brooks Parker and either Josh Woods or D.Q. Thomas without adjusting the ratio. Now it starts to add up. Coaches are obviously high on Parker and Thomas, the only new American linebackers in camp.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Sun May 21, 2023 3:04 pm
SammyGreene wrote:
Likely not going to happen, but they could easily go 3 starter / on the field Canadians in the D-Line rotation; that plus 2 starting National linebackers. 5 starting Canadians on D would be pretty mind-boggling to some - likely too much. :roll:
Only going to happen in the eyes of those who still believe in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Leafs winning another Stanley Cup. ;)

Entrenched starters are a reality on the OL and at receiver. On the other side of the ball and especially in the front 7 they are becoming more of a paperwork excercise. Paper starters if you will for the 1st play from scrimmage. From there out the front 7 becomes an 11, 12 or maybe even 13 man rotational unit. I think BC will still register 3 NAT starters in the front 7. Whether that's 2 LB and 1 DL or 1 LB and 2 DL remains to be seen but Kongbo replacing Lemon on the roster only adds to the rotational flexibility Campbell has at his disposal after that first defensive play.

BCF and I will definitely be paying attention to how the 1st and 2nd units line up in tomorrow morning's practice although Kongbo likely would be a limited participant if he is already in camp. It may take a day or two before possible experimental shuffling takes place. Lemon was taking 1st unit reps but he's now gone. I didn't notice where Herdman-Reed had been lining up but am thinking 3rd unit. A sign of new possibilities might be if Parker and Woods might start getting some 1st unit reps. Seems to me they were manning the 2nd unit yesterday and Friday and Parker's stock has been rising.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 3:54 pm
I’ve been trying to think of a way for the Lions to keep Brooks Parker and either Josh Woods or D.Q. Thomas without adjusting the ratio. Now it starts to add up. Coaches are obviously high on Parker and Thomas, the only new American linebackers in camp.
I was thinking the same. The simple swapping of Lemon for Kongbo opens up a lot more ratio flexibility than they had yesterday.
Starter

Hambone wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 4:09 pm
Sun May 21, 2023 3:04 pm
SammyGreene wrote:

Only going to happen in the eyes of those who still believe in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Leafs winning another Stanley Cup. ;)

Entrenched starters are a reality on the OL and at receiver. On the other side of the ball and especially in the front 7 they are becoming more of a paperwork excercise. Paper starters if you will for the 1st play from scrimmage. From there out the front 7 becomes an 11, 12 or maybe even 13 man rotational unit. I think BC will still register 3 NAT starters in the front 7. Whether that's 2 LB and 1 DL or 1 LB and 2 DL remains to be seen but Kongbo replacing Lemon on the roster only adds to the rotational flexibility Campbell has at his disposal after that first defensive play.

BCF and I will definitely be paying attention to how the 1st and 2nd units line up in tomorrow morning's practice although Kongbo likely would be a limited participant if he is already in camp. It may take a day or two before possible experimental shuffling takes place. Lemon was taking 1st unit reps but he's now gone. I didn't notice where Herdman-Reed had been lining up but am thinking 3rd unit. A sign of new possibilities might be if Parker and Woods might start getting some 1st unit reps. Seems to me they were manning the 2nd unit yesterday and Friday and Parker's stock has been rising.

Maybe Campbell believes in Santa or the Easter Bunny; or at least recalls way back to 2016 when he HC'd the mighty RedBlacks to a GC win ; and they were starting/playing 5 of dem NI types on the D (4 played most of the reps on the D-Line + Pruneau at safety).

And IMO, smart teams deploy lots of D-line rotation these days in the CFL (you're not going to see it with the LB corps much or the starting 5 DBs, outside of a nickel or dime back or whatever they want to call it as an extra DB for some passing downs). The Argos i think sort of led the way in the CFL in that strategy last year (GC win) and the Lions did it plenty too if i recall right.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Sun May 21, 2023 4:49 pm

Maybe Campbell believes in Santa or the Easter Bunny; or at least recalls way back to 2016 when he HC'd the mighty RedBlacks to a GC win ; and they were starting/playing 5 of dem NI types on the D (4 played most of the reps on the D-Line + Pruneau at safety).

And IMO, smart teams deploy lots of D-line rotation these days in the CFL (you're not going to see it with the LB corps much or the starting 5 DBs, outside of a nickel or dime back or whatever they want to call it as an extra DB for some passing downs). The Argos i think sort of led the way in the CFL in that strategy last year (GC win) and the Lions did it plenty too if i recall right.
Exactly why I said front 7's are no longer 7 starters and some backups but rather 11-13 man rotational units. Last year BC rotated 8 DL and up to 5 LB; 4 when Bo was out. There were many times when the entire starting DL was standing on the sidelines for a series while the "backups" were out on the field as a unit. Woods got a ton of playing time rotating in. Campbell would liked to have given him more reps but was held back by the ratio. When Menard/Betts and Cherry were in he could pull Hladik or Williams and insert Woods.
Starter

Hambone wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 5:34 pm
Sun May 21, 2023 4:49 pm

Exactly why I said front 7's are no longer 7 starters and some backups but rather 11-13 man rotational units. Last year BC rotated 8 DL and up to 5 LB; 4 when Bo was out. There were many times when the entire starting DL was standing on the sidelines for a series while the "backups" were out on the field as a unit. Woods got a ton of playing time rotating in. Campbell would liked to have given him more reps but was held back by the ratio. When Menard/Betts and Cherry were in he could pull Hladik or Williams and insert Woods.
Yeah; nice to have lots of talent where you are not afraid to play back-ups, especially on D where they can sub in for different packages or to give the starters a rest.

Wonder how many of these Canadian D-Linemen can dress for a game? : Betts, Menard, Kongbo as sure bets i guess; then maybe Cherry as a pure DT type; that leaves a few draft picks with very nice DE resumes (Archibald, Pickett & Bemiy) ?

Be interesting to see where the Argo D fits in newly acquired LB Jordan Williams; since he is behind proven vet starters Muamba at MLB and McManis at W-OLB ? They also have former draft pick LBs Jack Cassar (played reps in the GC game on D) and Trevor Hoyte (has started some); but they won't be held back by the ratio to play this Canadian talent since they already easily have 7 other starters at other positions combined on O & D outside of their Canadian LB talent.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Sun May 21, 2023 6:23 pm

Wonder how many of these Canadian D-Linemen can dress for a game? : Betts, Menard, Kongbo as sure bets i guess; then maybe Cherry as a pure DT type; that leaves a few draft picks with very nice DE resumes (Archibald, Pickett & Bemiy) ?
I think today's events only serve to enhance Bemiy's odds of being on the opening game roster. In person he looks almost freakish. Almost slim in the upper body compared to his big and muscular thighs. I don't know what his actual playing weight is at this moment (team lists him at 270) but looks like he could add a good 20# of muscle to his upper body without losing any explosiveness.

Archibald is looking to be totally on the bubble and candidate for no chair when the music stops. Pickett's future employment looks much rosier based on his ability to earn and keep the longsnapper job. At this point you can change is position from DE to LS replacing Tanner Doll. At least it's looking like it's his job to lose. He can either pursue a long career as a CFL longsnapper or be out of football in fairly short order.
Starter

Hambone wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 7:38 pm

I think today's events only serve to enhance Bemiy's odds of being on the opening game roster. In person he looks almost freakish. Almost slim in the upper body compared to his big and muscular thighs. I don't know what his actual playing weight is at this moment (team lists him at 270) but looks like he could add a good 20# of muscle to his upper body without losing any explosiveness.

Archibald is looking to be totally on the bubble and candidate for no chair when the music stops. Pickett's future employment looks much rosier based on his ability to earn and keep the longsnapper job. At this point you can change is position from DE to LS replacing Tanner Doll. At least it's looking like it's his job to lose. He can either pursue a long career as a CFL longsnapper or be out of football in fairly short order.

Bemiy weighed in at 257 at the CFL Combine and put up a fairly modest 13 bench reps for a D-lineman at testing there. As a first round pick, he should be given good opportunity to prove the thinkers there correct on using a top pick on him. Archibald & Pickett as later round picks may have a tougher road to prove they can stick. Either of those 2 would IMO likely be signed by some CFL team if they get cut by the Lions.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Sun May 21, 2023 7:57 pm
Hambone wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 7:38 pm

Bemiy weighed in at 257 at the CFL Combine and put up a fairly modest 13 bench reps for a D-lineman at testing there. As a first round pick, he should be given good opportunity to prove the thinkers there correct on using a top pick on him. Archibald & Pickett as later round picks may have a tougher road to prove they can stick. Either of those 2 would IMO likely be signed by some CFL team if they get cut by the Lions.
Bemiy clocked in at 257 at the Combine but his college playing weight has widely been reported, and confirmed by himself, to range from 250 to 270 likely depending on what role he was expected to fill. Certainly his build looks like he could easily handle either end of that range. He said he's played both end and tackle in college and doesn't really have a preference. With that if BC said they would like him to bulk up to play inside he could do that and if they wanted him to stay lean to play end he could do that too.

Overall I don't see a spot for all of Betts, Menard, Cherry, Kongbo, Bemiy, Archibald, Pickett and don't forget Wallace. I think the first 4 are absolute locks while Bemiy is 50/50 between being on the 46 and having to rehab a hangnail injury on the 1G. That leaves Archibald and Wallace hoping for a PR invite. Pickett removes himself from the equation by taking over the LS role. As the best Global Debaillie perhaps has the most secure spot on the roster. That still may leave Banks, Baron, Tuehema and a couple other promising American newcomers fighting over what might be 3 and at most 4 spots.
Qman
Champion

Two things these transactions do

We are going back to American at Mac. Woods (plus brooks/Thomas as 4th DI)

On dline we are going:
Betts, banks, baron, menard - group 1
Teuhema, ? , cherry, kongbo - group 2

Teuhema as 3rd DI
Last year deballie was ?

Bemiy, archibald and picket in tough to dress. One is probably cut.

They will bring in a pro LS. 3 new good LS in league this year. 1-3 vets will get cut. Toronto cut one already. Ottawa has two, Edmonton has 2.
Starter

Qman wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 11:03 pm
Two things these transactions do

We are going back to American at Mac. Woods (plus brooks/Thomas as 4th DI)

On dline we are going:
Betts, banks, baron, menard - group 1
Teuhema, ? , cherry, kongbo - group 2

Teuhema as 3rd DI
Last year deballie was ?

Bemiy, archibald and picket in tough to dress. One is probably cut.

They will bring in a pro LS. 3 new good LS in league this year. 1-3 vets will get cut. Toronto cut one already. Ottawa has two, Edmonton has 2.
No teams regularly, all the time use 4 man D-line units, it's not like changing lines in hockey - not sure where you are getting that from, or are you saying that's what they will go with? The top D-linemen play the most reps, and some teams feature lots of rotation of other D-line guys in.

Hladik is going to be sit down at MLB just to play some unproven import guy just for the sake of having more Americans on the field or running with 7 only Canadians need apply thinking? Could be I guess. And I suppose McInnis is destined to be only a back-up receiver to Cottoy because of the 7 only bunk too ?
SammyGreene
Team Captain

You have to think Global and JJ Adams are none too pleased having done features on Lemon's return in the last 72 hours and with the angle of how he is always having to prove his doubters wrong.

https://theprovince.com/sports/football ... ters-wrong

A true indicator the Kongbo signing came out of nowhere as I'm pretty sure Matt Baker would have steered both media outlets to other camp stories if he knew something was coming down.
Ultimately, at the top of the Lions 2023 FA agent haul are bringing BC boys and Bomber draft picks back home. Can't see how they don't have 2 national d-lineman on the field at all times with Betts/Menard/Kongbo/Cherry combo at the minimum and so much cap space tied up in 3 of them.

Is Lokombo now destined for a lesser role like he was when he came back from his hand injury for the 2nd half of last season? There are so many potential moving parts to this.