Western Final Nov.13: BC at Winnipeg

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Lucky Whitehead has been ruled out for Sunday’s game and Jarell Broxton is listed as questionable but everyone else was a full participant in the Lions’ final practice Friday.

The Bombers have listed receiver Rasheed Bailey as doubtful, while Nic Demski (calf) and Dalton Schoen (knee) are questionable, along with linebackers Adam Bighill (thorax) and Shayne Gauthier (foot) and fullback Mike Miller (hip).

https://www.cfl.ca/2022/11/09/lions-bom ... mited-wed/
SammyGreene
Team Captain

I certainly can't remember any time under Wally's long tenure here in BC where as many as four starters were injured at some point of the season and lost their spot to a back-up once they were healthy enough to return.

A healthy Obum Gwacham becomes the 4th with Sione Teuhema getting the nod for the 2nd straight week at DE for the Western Final. This also has to do with the Lions having to drop an American since the arrival of kick returner Terry Williams as national Shai Ross was doing it earlier in the season, allowing Gwacham & Teuhema to both dress.

But Bo Lokombo (Ben Hladik), Delvin Breaux (Jalon Edwards-Cooper) and Phil Norman (Jarell Broxton) have also been demoted to a rotational role or bumped from the game day roster entirely after getting hurt.
Alexander Hollins is also the 3rd different receiver to be added to the active roster due to an injury this season joining Josh Pearson and Jamarius Way and he has looked the best by far.
Says something about their depth.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Here’s the Lions’ depth chart, showing Figueroa back in at left tackle, Broxton sliding to guard and Norman out. There are no other changes from last week.
maxlion
Legend

SammyGreene wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:43 am
I certainly can't remember any time under Wally's long tenure here in BC where as many as four starters were injured at some point of the season and lost their spot to a back-up once they were healthy enough to return.

A healthy Obum Gwacham becomes the 4th with Sione Teuhema getting the nod for the 2nd straight week at DE for the Western Final. This also has to do with the Lions having to drop an American since the arrival of kick returner Terry Williams as national Shai Ross was doing it earlier in the season, allowing Gwacham & Teuhema to both dress.

But Bo Lokombo (Ben Hladik), Delvin Breaux (Jalon Edwards-Cooper) and Phil Norman (Jarell Broxton) have also been demoted to a rotational role or bumped from the game day roster entirely after getting hurt.
Alexander Hollins is also the 3rd different receiver to be added to the active roster due to an injury this season joining Josh Pearson and Jamarius Way and he has looked the best by far.
Says something about their depth.
It is an interesting development. I thought Breaux was just okay, so not surprised to see him passed on the depth chart given the wealth of talent in the secondary. Broxton has been excellent, but Norman also played well. Lokombo will likely still get some playing time, so that might be a 1A and 1B type situation. The biggest surprise to me is Gwachum who I thought was having an all star year before his injury, but then so was Teuhema. Hard choices to make, but it shows the depth of talent on the team. A nice problem to have.
OV:54-40
Starter

Drag that Whitehead can't play; but Hollins looks like a capable & talented next up guy.

Lions dressing only one back-up O-lineman - very risky roster thinking IMO; they are the only team of the final 4 to do so for the Finals.

Bummers LB corps is under-sized and can be run on IMO; they also start 2 pretty inexperienced guys in the secondary.

Hope Rourke has at least decent mobility ?
David
Team Captain

The Bombers will win if...
They score early and often. If BC goes down 14-0 midway through the first quarter, it's hard to see them recovering in that cold, hostile environment. This team never rolls over and dies but things could snowball on this young squad (something Lions fans have seen all too often in the playoffs). Also, watch for Bombers to try and load up the right side of their D-line to test Fig and Broxton, both of whom are nicked up.

B.C. will win if...
They are able to put pressure on Collaros. If not sacks then certainly get him out of rhythm. Hasn't happened yet this season (we'll throw out the last game though as the Leos were kind of going through the motions and didn't dress their 'A' lineup). Bombers Oline has done a terrific job on BC's undersized front 4 (really 8 guys in rotation). I expect to see the Leos dink and dunk, trying to control the clock and keep Collaros and his offensive weapons off the field as much as possible.

I predict the Bombers will try to bring the heat on Sunday, much like they did to BC on the final game of the season. It will be up to BC's Oline (and Butler) to pick up the pressure and keep Rourke upright.

Match-up I like: Hatcher on Rose
Match-up I dislike: Schoen on Sayles

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:24 pm
The Bombers will win if...
They score early and often. If BC goes down 14-0 midway through the first quarter, it's hard to see them recovering in that cold, hostile environment. This team never rolls over and dies but things could snowball on this young squad (something Lions fans have seen all too often in the playoffs). Also, watch for Bombers to try and load up the right side of their D-line to test Fig and Broxton, both of whom are nicked up.

B.C. will win if...
They are able to put pressure on Collaros. If not sacks then certainly get him out of rhythm. Hasn't happened yet this season (we'll throw out the last game though as the Leos were kind of going through the motions and didn't dress their 'A' lineup). Bombers Oline has done a terrific job on BC's undersized front 4 (really 8 guys in rotation). I expect to see the Leos dink and dunk, trying to control the clock and keep Collaros and his offensive weapons off the field as much as possible.

I predict the Bombers will try to bring the heat on Sunday, much like they did to BC on the final game of the season. It will be up to BC's Oline (and Butler) to pick up the pressure and keep Rourke upright.

Match-up I like: Hatcher on Rose
Match-up I dislike: Schoen on Sayles

DH :cool:
Well said.
The first quarter will set the tone for the game. In the much-hyped first meeting of the year between these teams, the Lions gave up a touchdown on the opening kickoff and fell behind 24-0 before they came to life. If they can strike first on Sunday or at least play a tight first quarter, they’ll gain confidence and put pressure on the Bombers.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Completely agree guys. Using boxing analogy, the Lions have to avoid those early round haymakers as intimidation is a huge part of the Bombers' game, especially on defence where they don't start 11 Americans by accident. In the those past games, that early momentum has snowballed against us in a huge way.
O-line has to have their best game of the season today as I expect the Bombers will be blitzing from everywhere to rattle Rourke. When you are sending 5 or 6 there are big plays to be had if Rourke has that extra 1 or 2 seconds to find them.
Phillips called a great game last week by throwing a number of different looks at Meier. They simply can't let Collaros extend plays which he is so good at doing.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Toronto Argonauts has just won the EDF.

May the Lions win the WDF to set up a Grey Cup rematch of the 1983 and 2004 GC, both won by the Argonauts.

And it looks like the don't touch semifinal trophy superstition has spread from the NHL to the CFL now as no members of the that trophy. One difference though is that in the NHL, the team will still gather around it for pictures and that's exactly what the Avalanche did for their Campbell Bowl. But rarely do CFL players all gather together for posing for their division trophy.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Damn Lee. Be better.
Alputt
Champion

TJ Lee a step behind...
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Not a good start