Lions 2022 free agents

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SammyGreene
Team Captain

Dave Naylor reporting Elks have pushed the Lawler bidding war to $300,000. Can we just
move on please? But are the Leos going to be left with a pile of cash?
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I think that it would be finished at that $ point. As has been mentioned, it seems perplexing to throw that kind of money at a position where we are arguably strongest. Rather not spend the money needlessly. I would rather put some money to a FullBack/Blocker since our Oline woes aren't likely to be solved this season. Bring in a heavyweight to shore up the protection.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

SammyGreene wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:14 am
Dave Naylor reporting Elks have pushed the Lawler bidding war to $300,000. Can we just
I was hoping that Lions original offer to Lawler would push Bombers to spend big $, but getting Elks to spend big $ on Lawler is equally as good.

I would like the Lions to be left with a pile of cash, considering FA has not yet started. How about spending big $ on Steve (Stove) Richardson to beef up the D Line. Or spend $ on the return of Andrew Harris (or the other Harris who I don't actually want to see at QB for the Lions, but it could happen if they have $ to spend).
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Apparently Lions have countered Elks offer to Lawler by making some of the Lions original offer to include some bonus money which is taxed at a lower rate by the Fed Gov't so it puts more $ in the player's pocket.

Given all the Federal Covid Relief spending, the feds are going to be looking extra hard for tax revenue, so the bonus money tax break may not be part of the next federal budget...just a guess on my part.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

SammyGreene wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:14 am
I pondered that very thing over on RF. With the Riders locking Williams up at $260K I wondered if that might cause the Bombers to recalculate their thinking on Lawler to where they very well might give Lawler a comparable offer to stay. I also wondered with Williams coming off the board at $260K shrinking the high-end receiver market that other teams trying to land such a player wouldn't try to get in on the action. There are a few name receivers still available but most such as Adams, Ambles, Ellingson, Banks, Cunningham and Posey are all into their 30s The only one who really stands out as a proven 1000 yard+ receiver with good size (6'3) just hitting his prime (27) is Lawler. It should not be a surprise that a bidding war might break out.

I do think a big reason the Lions' initial offer, criticized as crazy by many, went so high for Lawler is that cash factor. They started off by removing nearly $775K with the Reilly and Durant contracts disappearing. After starting QB the MAC position is typically one of the highest paid spots. BC goes into free agency with those two spots locked in for roughly $160K combined for the next two years. That alone gave them a big cash advantage on other teams. When I thought about things yesterday it came to me that for what the Riders will be paying Fajardo and Williams the Lions get Rourke, J. Williams, Whitehead, Burnham, Cottoy and probably 2/3 of Rhymes salary covered. I think they were really in position with cash where they could afford to "overpay" to make it difficult for others to compete for the guys they really wanted. As a buddy of mine liked to say "if you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly". If paying more than perceived market value gets you those key players and you have the cap space then do it.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Godber re-signs so there is their answer at centre. I know he had his struggles but it was his first full season and he is just 27. Didn’t want to see him thrive elsewhere
Hambone
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:26 pm
Godber re-signs so there is their answer at centre. I know he had his struggles but it was his first full season and he is just 27. Didn’t want to see him thrive elsewhere
That's my hope. Just getting that one year worth of experience under his belt will effectively work like an upgrade next year.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Adam Konar has agreed to terms in Edmonton, according to Justin Dunk.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

There's no official news from the Lions yet today, but TSN's Farhan Lalji has reported that the Lions are leaning to former UBC QB Michael O'Connor to back up Nathan Rourke, creating a Canadian QB tandem.

And TSN reporter Marshall Ferguson noted the Lions led the league by re-signing 60% of their own FAs before the deadline.

Hambone
Hall of Famer

I've been unable to figure out where he found those Lion numbers. CFL website FA tracker had BC with only 27 pending FAs (including the retired Derek Jones) with 13 extended at the time of his tweet. Maybe I'm forgetting some signings from before the FA tracker being released.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Shaq Johnson has joined the parade of FAs to Ottawa.

Hambone
Hall of Famer

Looks like Shaq is joining the convoy, CFL style, to Ottawa. I've enjoyed him as a Lion yet always felt we should have gotten more out of him. Such is life I guess for a wide side wide out.
Reg18
Starter

Will Ryker Mathews be able to play in 2022?he was off !ast season with an injury
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hamilton has signed J.R. Tavai, who failed to live up to expectations as a free agent pass rusher with the Lions.

https://3downnation.com/2022/02/09/livi ... j-r-tavai/
David
Team Captain

I will be kind. I classify Tavai's season in orange and black as "underwhelming." That is very kind.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar