2012 WDF Attendance

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

What do think will be the attendance range for the 2012 West Division Final?

Poll ended at Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:41 am

29,999 and under
No votes
30,000 to 34,999
6%
35,000 to 39,999
15%
40,000 to 44,999
47%
45,000 to 49,999
26%
50,000 to sellout
6%

Total votes: 47
J5V
Rookie

Over 36,000 as of mid-day Monday according to the Team 1040 radio. Barry MacDonald ("b-mac") said he thinks it will sell-out. I think Calgary will end up being a lot better a draw then many may have thought- it hasn't even been 24 hours since they won the WDSF and there is lots to dislike about them already ... ie. Nick Lewis.)
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

J5V wrote:Over 36,000 as of mid-day Monday according to the Team 1040 radio. Barry MacDonald ("b-mac") said he thinks it will sell-out. I think Calgary will end up being a lot better a draw then many may have thought- it hasn't even been 24 hours since they won the WDSF and there is lots to dislike about them already ... ie. Nick Lewis.)
We'd have to move a lot of hard-sell singles to get a true sellout. Just looking on the ticketmaster sales map, in the upper bowl $98 pricing area behind the Lions bench, there's about 50 well scattered single unsold seats that are tough to move. This area represents only about 6% of total capacity, which projects to upwards of about a thousand singles in the whole building.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Upper Bowl
Starter

The Lions just posted a news release confirming what 1040 said earlier:

November 12, 2012

More than 36,000 Western Final tickets sold and counting

(Vancouver) The BC Lions Football Club is pleased to announce that following a strong weekend of ticket sales, Sunday’s Western Final versus the Calgary Stampeders has surpassed the 36,000-sold mark. With less than a week to go before the big game, ticket sales to date already ensure the largest crowd of the year for the Lions and sales momentum will continue to grow as the game approaches.

Obviously they'll get 40,000 at this rate, but as far as I'm concerned, a sellout just ain't happening. My question is: Can they make 45,000? because I'd be happy with that.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

If we don't get a near sell out, I would be very disappointed...Vancouver and area, is HUGE and this is the province's last chance to see this team in Vancouver this season...the same team that won the Grey Cup last season, and is attempting to repeat this season...

There are obviously lots of fans that did not come out this year that did last year, but here is their one opportunity...let's get this thing SOLD OUT! For one game, it is that simple, spend the money and go to the game.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

MexicoLionFan wrote:If we don't get a near sell out, I would be very disappointed...Vancouver and area, is HUGE and this is the province's last chance to see this team in Vancouver this season...the same team that won the Grey Cup last season, and is attempting to repeat this season...

There are obviously lots of fans that did not come out this year that did last year, but here is their one opportunity...let's get this thing SOLD OUT! For one game, it is that simple, spend the money and go to the game.
And it could be the last chance to see Geroy Simon, Angus Reid and others who are nearing the ends of their careers.

I have 10 tickets and may need one or two more just to accommodate requests from family. That's a far cry from some games this year when I couldn't give an extra pair of tickets away and scalpers didn't even want them.
Buonosjanet69
Starter

Mtl should easily get over 50K while the Lions may have a tough time getting there, I dunno.

Indeed the pricing structure at Olympic has a lot to do with that...
dfootball
Rookie

just came on 1040 60 percent says they are not going to the wf, but on 1040 e-mails everywere saying they are going, again i think Calgary is not a big draw, ticket prices for the upper deck are too much money, i say 42,000 at best.

after hearing this. too bad but lions should have made those ticket corner prices in the upper around $30.00 each .

hope they learn from this
MikeAK
All Star

Well. Still a ways to go yet but like many of us have been preaching all season long it looks as though the public is speaking up in a big way. The Lions will never have a better chance then this weekend to be the #1 ticket in town. No Canucks, No white Caps and a terrible Giants season makes this prime real estate for the Leos. I'm not sure what else Skulsky needs to see. The Lions pricing and structure is completely WRONG. There is absolutely no reason for the Lions to not have a full house this weekend. Again, still a ways to go and anything can happen but if Sunday comes and it's not a full house then the blame goes solely on Skulsky. He is the President & CEO. The buck stops with him. I'm not going to sugar coat anything here. It's an embarrassment if the WDF isn't a sell out given the circumstances this year. It just goes further to prove my point from a few months ago that this team has lost a generation of fans because parents can no longer afford to take their families to games. The bond that kids form with the team that follows them through life has never been given a chance. Until the Lions management get this through their greedy heads we will never see change.
dfootball
Rookie

Well. Still a ways to go yet but like many of us have been preaching all season long it looks as though the public is speaking up in a big way. The Lions will never have a better chance then this weekend to be the #1 ticket in town. No Canucks, No white Caps and a terrible Giants season makes this prime real estate for the Leos. I'm not sure what else Skulsky needs to see. The Lions pricing and structure is completely WRONG. There is absolutely no reason for the Lions to not have a full house this weekend. Again, still a ways to go and anything can happen but if Sunday comes and it's not a full house then the blame goes solely on Skulsky. He is the President & CEO. The buck stops with him. I'm not going to sugar coat anything here. It's an embarrassment if the WDF isn't a sell out given the circumstances this year. It just goes further to prove my point from a few months ago that this team has lost a generation of fans because parents can no longer afford to take their families to games. The bond that kids form with the team that follows them through life has never been given a chance. Until the Lions management get this through their greedy heads we will never see change.

Excellent read mike bang on send it the lions management, they probably would delete it anyway.

The only thing know is that they can not reduce prices, too late or put out a package deal, if they would have done this to begin with I guarantee you there would over 40,000 sold already.

And still made big money, I am a small business owner myself, that is just conman sense
Buonosjanet69
Starter

also, a bigger crowd means more noise for Calgary to deal with, thus helping the Lions even more.

Fuller house means better crowd experience

fuller house means better optics for tv

fuller house and all of the above helps to market the team, esp since this is when ppl will really tune into the game.

Better sales pitch to the stadium fans and better sales pitch to the ones watching on tv.

They must be hitting 40k pretty soon, that leaves another 14, 313 seats to sell over the next five days... so it may not be a foregone conclusion either way just yet (disappointing crowd vs sellout)
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Buonosjanet69 wrote:Mtl should easily get over 50K while the Lions may have a tough time getting there, I dunno.

Yep, Montreal's Olympic Stadium upper deck prices range from $63 (first few rows between the 30s) to $18 (high up end zone) plus Ticketmaster fees.

The "event" factor and the only show in town definitely works in the Lions favour for this game. But pretty soon there will be nothing but upper deck 10 rows and above seats left. How many of the casual fans are going to pay between $40 and $90 (plus fees) for those seats to be part of the "event" compared to watching it for free at home? That will be the big question for the balance of the week.

When then Lions drew 54,000 for the 2004 WF every upper deck seat was $40 as Ackles just kept opening section after section based on demand.
MikeAK
All Star

SammyGreene wrote:When then Lions drew 54,000 for the 2004 WF every upper deck seat was $40 as Ackles just kept opening section after section based on demand.

Off topic but every time I see or hear Ackles' name I realize just how much I miss that guy. He just "got it". He just knew how to connect with the community.
JohnHenry
Champion

MikeAK wrote:
SammyGreene wrote:When then Lions drew 54,000 for the 2004 WF every upper deck seat was $40 as Ackles just kept opening section after section based on demand.

Off topic but every time I see or hear Ackles' name I realize just how much I miss that guy. He just "got it". He just knew how to connect with the community.
Yes, but in all fairness the $40 upper bowl ticket was close in price to the lower bowl, there was no discount for the upper deck (which many fans complained about back then). If they sold the upper bowl seats for $40 today while charging $100 for the lower bowl, there would be a revolt from the seasons ticket holders. The Lions might rather shun a few casual fans (and their families) so as not to peeve-off their treasured ST-base.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Buonosjanet69 wrote:Mtl should easily get over 50K while the Lions may have a tough time getting there, I dunno.

Tough to guess what they might get. In the past 6 years they've had 5 home playoff dates. 2 drew in the 50K range and the other 3 in the 30K range. Argos will probably help their draw.

Playoff numbers for Als:
2011 - ESF vs Wpg - 33051 (BC had 41313 vs Esks for WDF)
2010 - EDF vs Tor - 58021 (no home playoff date for Lions)
2009 - EDF vs BCL - 53792
2008 - EDF vs Edm - 38132 (no home playoff date for Lions)
2007 - No home playoff game (BC had 54712 vs Riders for WDF)
2006 - EDF vs Tor - 35607 (BC had 50084 vs Riders for WDF)

Comparing pricing structures between the two is apples and oranges. The two facilities are configured so much differently. Also while the two clubs are operating in different scenarios. The Lions averaged over 30000 in BCP this year and are not switching facilities. They do have to respect their season ticket holders many of whom purchased their playoff tickets as part of their ST package. The Als on the other hand are shifting from a 25000 facility they have not sold out once in that past 2 seasons to a stadium that can seat 2-1/2 times their average 2012 attendance. Using 50K as a target and final 3 games as a bellweather the Lions have to figure out how to attract and extra 17400 fans to get to 50K. Montreal has to attract an extra 26800 to do likewise.

As for the seats themselves BCP is 700' across from end to end and 570' wide. The Big Owe is 900' long and 700' wide. The worst seat in BCP is probably closer to the action than 7000+ Big Owe seats. True they offer some $25 seats but they are true nosebleeds. They only exist in what might be the last 10 rows in the upper endzone sections of BC Place, if not somewhere beyond the roof. I think those $25 Big Owe ducats would actually be somewhere outside of BCP looking at the roof. I did some querying. Right now you can get 4 yellow seats together for Montreal next weekend at $72. The equivalent seat in Vancouver runs $56. So nice to have $25 seats but they have to sell 3 to generate the same revenue as one yellow seat which they are apparently not selling. Not sure how they're doing on the $25 seats either as a person can order them in blocks of 10 right now. Looks to me that right now Montreal might struggle to get to the 36K BC is reportedly already at.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Buonosjanet69
Starter

good analysis and very similar to what someone posted earlier this season with Commonwealth vs BCP seating

Someone posted on there that the Mtl sales were already at 36000, however, that was maybe two days ago?

They will easity get over 50k. You can see from your list that the small crowd for last year was probably attributed to the fact is was a ESF and the small crowd for 2008 was because Mtl was hosting the Grey Cup.

No hockey this year should help their cause a bit too.... unless 22000 of those fans blew their money on the UFC fight with GSP the night before :wink: