2012 WDF Attendance

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

What do think will be the attendance range for the 2012 West Division Final?

Poll ended at Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:41 am

29,999 and under
No votes
30,000 to 34,999
6%
35,000 to 39,999
15%
40,000 to 44,999
47%
45,000 to 49,999
26%
50,000 to sellout
6%

Total votes: 47
David
Team Captain

From the Twitterverse:
News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports
Braley thinks he can get a crowd of over 50,000 for the West final. Grey Cup is sold out. Braley will do just fine this year.
BTW, who gives a rip if someone enjoys a beer at the game later in the day rather than at 1:30pm? I happen to agree that the atmosphere is better at 3:00pm or 4:00pm, and so is the taste of beer.

I hate it when teetotalers impose their moral judgement. The overwhelming majority of football fans drink responsibly.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
MikeAK
All Star

David wrote:From the Twitterverse:
News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports
Braley thinks he can get a crowd of over 50,000 for the West final. Grey Cup is sold out. Braley will do just fine this year.
BTW, who gives a rip if someone enjoys a beer at the game later in the day rather than at 1:30pm? I happen to agree that the atmosphere is better at 3:00pm or 4:00pm, and so is the taste of beer.

I hate it when teetotalers impose their moral judgement. The overwhelming majority of football fans drink responsibly.

Right on, David! :rockin: That's all I was saying. I prefer a later game because the beer taste better. It's all good though. Too each their own.
ziggy
Legend

dfootball wrote:As I stated in an earlier thread several days ago, the staff at ticketmaster told me then there were only single seats available for the game! I talked to one agent and then a supervisor who confirmed that to be true? All the while their map told a different story, so frankly,no offense to your uncle ,but the folks selling tickets and him seem to not be on the same page. I wonder how much out of town business this is costing?

Acually staf members are not suppose to give out information of how many tickets are sold, because they do not know only the supervisers and managers know.

yes there are singles only on the lower bowl sidelines, there is still lots left in the upper deck, and yes they have opend up the whole stadium.
Can the staff not access the seating chart that the ticket purchasing fans can? I think you'll find the seat availability is public knowledge and therefore it's pretty apparent how many are sold!.One would think if you are selling tickets you would need to know which were already sold? At the risk of repeating myself, I was told there were only single seats available for"the game", not the lower bowl , not the sidelines, anywhere! Frankly as an out of town buyer I found the incompetence of ticketmaster totally astounding. The Lions would be better off without this outfit ruining the game experience.
dfootball
Rookie

I was told that they blocked the upper corner seats off want to sell sideline upper deck and then will open upperdeck corners.\

kind what bob ackles did 2004 western final ended up selling 55,000
dawg3648
Rookie

Not true. All sections are open on top level and seats have been sold in all but a couple. New Ticketmaster website is excellent in picking seats and getting an accurate count. Looks like 32-34K already sold. Encouraging for a crowd of 45K plus especially with 3 weeks to sell. Cheers
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
I like to drink a few beer during games. I don't like drinking beer so early in the day. The early start makes hit hard for me to enjoy beer. I don't like such an early game. I thought it was pretty obvious in my post?
I question the apparent NEED to drink beer during every game. So its an early game, so you dont drink beer during that game, so what?
He didn't say "need". He said "like". Good for him. I like to pregame me some beers too. I don't "need" to. I want to. It's fun.
The_Pauser
Legend

dawg3648 wrote:Not true. All sections are open on top level and seats have been sold in all but a couple. New Ticketmaster website is excellent in picking seats and getting an accurate count. Looks like 32-34K already sold. Encouraging for a crowd of 45K plus especially with 3 weeks to sell. Cheers
Looking at the map on Ticketmaster, it's very very disappointing that upper bowl seats are priced exactly the same as lower bowl seats. Even the Canucks don't gouge their fans like that.
Roar you Lions roar!
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Stars seemed to aligning in the Lions favour for this game:

End nowhere in sight to NHL lockout. Barring a huge upset, Whitecaps season ends tomorrow night in LA. Vancouver Giants have the worst record in the WHL. Heck, even the Seahawks have a bye the weekend of the WF.

It adds up to two weeks of overhype leading up to the game.

Must be well over 30,000 sold already with lower bowl filling up quickly and good chunk of seats sold in upper bowl too.

Riders late season stumble might take them out of the Western playoff picture entirely which would hurt the potential of a 50,000 plus crowd. Stamps support at BC Place has always been minimal although the loss at McMahon last Friday at least adds to the intrigue factor of a potential Lions/Stamps match-up.
David
Team Captain

The latest, courtesy of NEWS1130 (which, ironically, always seems to be more dialled in than the club's flagship station, TEAM 1410/1040)
VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - The game is two weeks away but BC Lions owner David Braley expects a very large crowd as his team hosts the West Final on November 18th.

Braley tells News1130 Sports that sales are trending for a crowd of over 40,000 and he thinks that a crowd over 50,000 is possible.

There was a crowd of 41,313 at last year's West Final when the Lions beat the Edmonton Eskimos 40-23, on their way to winning the 2011 Grey Cup.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
MikeAK
All Star

David wrote:The latest, courtesy of NEWS1130 (which, ironically, always seems to be more dialled in than the club's flagship station, TEAM 1410/1040)
VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - The game is two weeks away but BC Lions owner David Braley expects a very large crowd as his team hosts the West Final on November 18th.

Braley tells News1130 Sports that sales are trending for a crowd of over 40,000 and he thinks that a crowd over 50,000 is possible.

There was a crowd of 41,313 at last year's West Final when the Lions beat the Edmonton Eskimos 40-23, on their way to winning the 2011 Grey Cup.

Solid numbers so far. I still believe 50k+ is going to happen especially now that we know there won't be any hockey in the month of November. It's going to be a great game.
almo89
Legend

Is it just me or do I find Braley's comment about expecting over 40k a bit disappointing? With the Lions being the hottest ticket in town right now, a Western Final should be 50lk automatic. If it's not, they should look at reasons why. I found last year's attendance for the West Final a bit under whelming, but that's because most people spent money on the Grey Cup. This year if they don't get over 50, I'd be a bit diappointed and the club should look at changing their pricing structure.
MikeAK
All Star

almo89 wrote:Is it just me or do I find Braley's comment about expecting over 40k a bit disappointing? With the Lions being the hottest ticket in town right now, a Western Final should be 50lk automatic. If it's not, they should look at reasons why. I found last year's attendance for the West Final a bit under whelming, but that's because most people spent money on the Grey Cup. This year if they don't get over 50, I'd be a bit diappointed and the club should look at changing their pricing structure.
I believe we will see 50k+ but if they hover around 40k then serious questions need to be asked and most should be around the pricing. In a year when there is no hockey there should be absolutely no reason why the Lions don't have close to a sell out. I keep bringing up hockey because it's the biggest ticket in town when the Canucks are playing. There is a lot of unused sporting and entertainment cash floating around the province right now and the only reason for the Lions not to cash in on that is if the general public don't see the Lions as a worthy buy. This Western Final is the purrfect opportunity for us to see if Skulsky's assessment on the pricing structure is accurate or if he's completely out too lunch.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

MikeAK wrote:
almo89 wrote:Is it just me or do I find Braley's comment about expecting over 40k a bit disappointing? With the Lions being the hottest ticket in town right now, a Western Final should be 50lk automatic. If it's not, they should look at reasons why. I found last year's attendance for the West Final a bit under whelming, but that's because most people spent money on the Grey Cup. This year if they don't get over 50, I'd be a bit diappointed and the club should look at changing their pricing structure.
I believe we will see 50k+ but if they hover around 40k then serious questions need to be asked and most should be around the pricing. In a year when there is no hockey there should be absolutely no reason why the Lions don't have close to a sell out. I keep bringing up hockey because it's the biggest ticket in town when the Canucks are playing. There is a lot of unused sporting and entertainment cash floating around the province right now and the only reason for the Lions not to cash in on that is if the general public don't see the Lions as a worthy buy. This Western Final is the purrfect opportunity for us to see if Skulsky's assessment on the pricing structure is accurate or if he's completely out too lunch.
Yep, a LOT of the tickets that need to be moved to bump this into 50k territory are of the $93 variety and could prove to be a tough sell. It will be interesting to see not only the attendance figure but its distribution. I noticed that for the first time this season on Sat night, they opened up the first dozen or so rows of the two upper level corner sections behind the Lions's sideline and it seemed there was a fair bit of uptake in those areas compared to the rest of the sideline seats up there. I have to believe the cheaper pricing of those seats was a factor.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

MikeAK wrote: I believe we will see 50k+ but if they hover around 40k then serious questions need to be asked and most should be around the pricing. In a year when there is no hockey there should be absolutely no reason why the Lions don't have close to a sell out. I keep bringing up hockey because it's the biggest ticket in town when the Canucks are playing. There is a lot of unused sporting and entertainment cash floating around the province right now and the only reason for the Lions not to cash in on that is if the general public don't see the Lions as a worthy buy. This Western Final is the purrfect opportunity for us to see if Skulsky's assessment on the pricing structure is accurate or if he's completely out too lunch.
X2
dfootball
Rookie

Well guys here we go again like we have every time when the lions have won the west 4 weeks before the final, always guessing how many are going to be there, it is sure not like the mid 80s when the western final use to sell out, a week before it started, i remeber in 1984 it came down to the last game of year for the lions to win the west , not only did they sell out against the bombers, for the last game of the season, but when the western final tickets went on sale on the monday ( of course no internet back then you had to line up) they sold something like 35,000 in one day and the line up around bc place was so big to buy tickets the waite was 4 hours long. , then the lions acually sold out the game by thursday, 8 days before the game.

good old glory days

dan

i say we will hit 50,000 and it will be against Sask. unfortunately i will be Calgary of all places working that sunday but i am off a half an hour before game time, i will wear my lions jersey for work that day.

good luck guys.