Planning for 2012 - Many Decisions for Wally

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I fully expect Paul McCallum to be back with the Lions in 2012
Anglophone
All Star

At this stage in his career, I really don't think he'd leave unless Wally really tried to shaft him on the money side again. I doubt this will happen, considering the media attention he's received this year has been ten times higher than last year. BC fans expect a good reliable kicker.
joe kapp22
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:I fully expect Paul McCallum to be back with the Lions in 2012
We'll see, I say that not to be flippant, but merely recalling that "Money" was more then happy to vacation in Mexico last spring and things were not made clear until later in the process, I'd love to have him back in BC, but who knows?

Braley is also being very aggressive so far this yr, have to wonder if guys like Aaron Hunt and Paris Jackson are guys who wind up in Toronto?
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

joe kapp22 wrote: We'll see, I say that not to be flippant, but merely recalling that "Money" was more then happy to vacation in Mexico last spring and things were not made clear until later in the process, I'd love to have him back in BC, but who knows?

Braley is also being very aggressive so far this yr, have to wonder if guys like Aaron Hunt and Paris Jackson are guys who wind up in Toronto?
Personally I think it would be inappropriate for the Argos to pursue Lions' players, because of Braley's dual ownership. Just IMO ... And I kind of would not expect it. Fair game though, I suppose, for free agents and trades.

Not many guys would want to leave, methinks. Possibly Paris Jackson, but not necessarily.

As Brent Johnson said, even guys like Jovan and Khalif, if they leave, it is not because they are unhappy here.
joe kapp22
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
joe kapp22 wrote: We'll see, I say that not to be flippant, but merely recalling that "Money" was more then happy to vacation in Mexico last spring and things were not made clear until later in the process, I'd love to have him back in BC, but who knows?

Personally I think it would be inappropriate for the Argos to pursue Lions' players, because of Braley's dual ownership. Just IMO ... And I kind of would not expect it. Fair game though, I suppose, for free agents and trades.

Not many guys would want to leave, methinks. Possibly Paris Jackson, but not necessarily.

As Brent Johnson said, even guys like Jovan and Khalif, if they leave, it is not because they are unhappy here.
To me, after the Foley stuff, I'd certainly not take that for granted WCJ.

Jovan is already down in LA to begin prepping for the tour of NFL facilities in January for workouts.

Do you think the FA's are waiting to see what Wally does before they sign elsewhere?
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I don't think Eleminium has the size that the NFL wants for ML but there may be interest in him as an outside linebacker or special teams tackler.

As a not every down player who still makes an impact when on the field, Brent Johnson has the purrfect job. So I'm guessing he returns unless he has some very promising off field opportunities that can't wait.

Would be a big mistake to not have Paris Jackson return because even if he is not an every down player he still plays with passion and is a great team leader.

Jamal Lee has the size and speed that should demand a larger role with the Lions. What about converting Lee to Free Safety?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.bclions.com/article/bc-lions ... etirements
The BC Lions Football Club announced this morning that running back Jamal Robertson and receiver Ryan Thelwell have retired from the Canadian Football League.

“Both Jamal and Ryan made valuable contributions to our club late in the season and played a key role in our success in the post-season,” said Lions GM and head coach Wally Buono. “They are both quality football players and even higher quality individuals. We thank them for their contributions and wish them the very best in the future.”

Robertson joined the Lions as a free agent in 2010 and appeared in 27 regular season games over two years, recording 217 carries for 1,249 yards and 11 TD’s as well as 73 receptions for  557 yards and 10 majors.

Thelwell was a late season pick-up for the Leos when injuries hampered the club’s receiving corps. He appeared in two games for the Lions in a special teams role, giving him 161 for his career as well as his third Grey Cup championship. 
Best wishes to these two Lions. Nice to go out with a championship. :beer:

Lots of decisions for Wally.

HC, GM, both, retire?

Benny for HC?

JC for Associate HC?

New deal for Paris?

Another year for Brent?

Can we get Solomon signed?

Olafioye and Mitchell? Probably gone IMO.

Bring back Arland?

A plan to utilize Jamal Lee?

Extension for Travis?

Bring back Jarious?

Bring back Anton?

Phillips and Marsh?

McCallum or O'Neil? Both methinks.

Not unmanageable, but lots of GM work to be done.

NI draft? We need a D Lineman or two. Free agent? Who is out there?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Early, very early in the off season ... Ha ha ... But, Wally has to make some big decisions, in a timely fashion (Read: Quickly).

My early guesses ...

GM ... This guy, ummmm, errrrr, oh yeah, Wally Buono. Heard of him? Associate GM ... Neil McAvoy

HC ... Mike Benevides

OC/Associate Head Coach ... Jacques Chapdelaine

QBs ... Jarious Jackson

O Line ... Kelly Bates, Dan Dorazio? Dunno ... Retirement?

Receivers ... Travis Moore

RBs/STs ... Chuck McMann (not for sure)

LBs ... Carl Kidd? Somehow I think not, although I do love what Carl brought as a LB and motivator. Barrin Simpson? A bit of bad blood? Dunno ... Otis Floyd? Hmmmmmmm ... Yeah. I like that one.

DBs ... Mark Washington

Safeties, etc. ... Barron Miles

D Line ... Randy Melvin if available. If not ... Tyrone Williams. Yeah.

LT ... Ben Archibald

LG ... Jesse Newman/Jon Hameister-Ries (equal, slight edge to JonHR)

C ... Angus Reid

RG ... Dean Valli

RT ... Nick Hennessey beats out the competition

Receivers ... Geroy, Arland, Sean, Akeem, Kierie, Marco, Paris ... Yes, Paris

RBs ... Andrew Harris, Jamal Lee, Rolly Lumbala, Tim Brown, Jock Sanders

QBs ... Travis Lulay, Mike Reilly, Corey Leonard, plus a rookie

D Line ... Williams, Hunt, Taylor, Smith, Johnson (Yes, he stays)

LBs ... Leonard, Elimimian (Yes he stays), Reddick, Bighill, Yurichuk, Goese (Anton released for cap reasons)

DBs ... Banks, Marsh, Kornegay, Phillips, Dennis, Ruffin, Priest

STs ... McCallum, O'Neill
SammyGreene
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote: Good point about Anton. He was very, very solid down the stretch.
Told Anton today he was the most outstanding defensive player of the Grey Cup game if there was only such an award. He was all over the field making plays. Watching the game again (for I think the 1,000 time LOL), Duane Ford does a nice job pointing out how one of Benevides halftime adjustments was using Anton in a deep drop to help Dante Marsh with Greg Carr when the Bombers were trying to isolate the match-up by overloading the other side of the field which forced Larose to go the other way.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

For someone who has been an all-star (and was IMO the fourth best linebacker in the West Division this year), McKenzie doesn't get a lot of love but he is the quarterback of the defence. He calls the signals, lines people up and is excellent against the run and the pass. I've mentioned before that he led the league by a wide margin this year in tackles for a loss. He also played the middle when Elimimian was injured, and would be a leading candidate to do so next year if Elimimian leaves. The Lions will likely want to get Yurichuk into the starting lineup next year, but moving McKenzie to the middle would still allow them to do that. Leonard and Bighill would also be in the mix.

In addition to SMS and age factors, Wally will have to consider team leadership in his offseason roster decisions. Brent Johnson, Angus Reid and Jarious Jackson are captains, along with Geroy. Paris Jackson and Anton McKenzie are emotional leaders on and off the field, although they have different styles. The Lions can't afford to lose too much of that veteran leadership in one year.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

The BC Lions Football Club announced this morning that running back Jamal Robertson and receiver Ryan Thelwell have retired from the Canadian Football League.
Good see that Ryan Thelwell managed to retire ahead with a 3rd championship in his fine 11-year CFL career. In fact, he has Akeem Foster to thank for otherwise the Lions would never have signed him late in the 2011 season and win a third GC. I think despite his good contributions he wouldn't be considered to be a legend and I wouldn't say he will be inducted into the Canadian Hall of Fame nor will be inducted into the Lions Wall of Fame either. In the years from now, what would be your greatest memory of him? I'd say his long TD catch from Casey Printers in the second-play from scrimmage in the 2004 WDF.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote::popcorn: Some pretty good projections there, WCJ.

Using your framework I'll add some comments in orange (with the players in question italicized).
WestCoastJoe wrote:Early, very early in the off season ... Ha ha ... But, Wally has to make some big decisions, in a timely fashion (Read: Quickly).

My early guesses ...

RBs ... Andrew Harris, Jamal Lee, Rolly Lumbala, Tim Brown, Jock Sanders - Lions need import RB to replace Robertson

Yes, I agree, JH. We could use a bigger sized import running back. Hey, Joe Smith is not that old yet. Ha ha

We will never know if Jamal Lee can carry the rock unless we give him some live reps.

LBs ... Leonard, Elimimian (Yes he stays), Reddick, Bighill, Yurichuk, Goese (Anton released for cap reasons) - I'd take McKenzie over Leonard or Bighill for the +$50k

Good point about Anton. He was very, very solid down the stretch.

[/i]
DBs ... Banks, Marsh, Kornegay, Phillips, Dennis, Ruffin, Priest - also Franks in the mix and add a Safety (Muamba?)

Yes, I forgot about the safeties. I am a big Muamba fan. Mahmoudi is a good DB backup. Even LaRose might be OK, but he had some "lost" moments this year.
joe kapp22
Legend

Well, on the plus side the offence will return mostly intact, depending on Reid and Jones.

As for the Defence, it remains to be seen who we lose, there are literally dozens of Cb's walking the streets down South whom, I'm sure would jump at the chance to play ball for us.

I'd guess they bring in competition for Returner, a guy I like is Phil Livas, who played in the UFL but with that league dissolving, will be looking for work.

Hopefully K Smith can maintain his high level of play if Johnson retires, but we still need someone for the passrush DE role.

So right now, Wally and Shivers and Co will have their eyes out for Cb's and De's and maybe a DT or two, depending if they really like Bryant's game or not.

"If" we keep Hunt, lose Khalif, we still have Taylor, but if we lose say Phillips and Johnson and Sol-E, we have to find some guys, but iirc, Adam Leonard was well thought of prior to his knee injury early this season?
MexicoLionFan
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:Early, very early in the off season ... Ha ha ... But, Wally has to make some big decisions, in a timely fashion (Read: Quickly).

My early guesses ...

GM ... This guy, ummmm, errrrr, oh yeah, Wally Buono. Heard of him? Associate GM ... Neil McAvoy...AGREED

HC ... Mike Benevides...AGREED

OC/Associate Head Coach ... Jacques Chapdelaine...PERHAPS

QBs ... Jarious Jackson...THAT WOULD BE INTERESTING, BUT HARD TO IMAGINE AS JJ HAS NEVER BEEN A TECHNICALLY SOUND QB, NOR A PRODUCTIVE ONE EITHER

O Line ... Kelly Bates, Dan Dorazio? Dunno ... Retirement?...BATES, DORAZIO RETIRES

Receivers ... Travis Moore...YEP

RBs/STs ... Chuck McMann (not for sure)...I WOULD LIKE TO SEE A CHANGE HERE...NOT THRILLED WITH HIS BODY OF WORK

LBs ... Carl Kidd? Somehow I think not, although I do love what Carl brought as a LB and motivator. Barrin Simpson? A bit of bad blood? Dunno ... Otis Floyd? Hmmmmmmm ... Yeah. I like that one...LOVE IT!

DBs ... Mark Washington...YEP

Safeties, etc. ... Barron Miles...LIKELY LBS AND DEF. ASST

D Line ... Randy Melvin if available. If not ... Tyrone Williams. Yeah....DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR AND DLINE

LT ... Ben Archibald...AMEN

LG ... Jesse Newman/Jon Hameister-Ries (equal, slight edge to JonHR)...NEWMAN HAS EARNED THE STARTING SPOT, BUT I AM NEVER AGAINST OPEN COMPETITION

C ... Angus Reid...YES, 2 YEAR DEAL PLEASE

RG ... Dean Valli...YEP

RT ... Nick Hennessey beats out the competition...IF HE DOES, FINE...BUT OPEN COMPETITION PLEASE...IMPORTANT SPOT TO FILL, HUGE IN MY OPINION

Receivers ... Geroy, Arland, Sean, Akeem, Kierie, Marco, Paris ... Yes, Paris...OPEN COMPETITION FOR KIERRE JOHNSON'S SPOT...THE LIONS HAVE A WR ON THE PRACTISE ROSTER THEY REALLY LIKE

RBs ... Andrew Harris, Jamal Lee, Rolly Lumbala, Tim Brown, Jock Sanders...OPEN COMPETITION BETWEEN BROWN AND JOCK SAUNDERS

QBs ... Travis Lulay, Mike Reilly, Corey Leonard, plus a rookie...GOOD IDEA, IT IS TIME TO GIVE REILLY A SHOT...JJ HAD A GREAT SEASON AS A LION THOUGH...HE WAS A TRUE TEAMMATE AND SUPPORT FOR TL

D Line ... Williams, Hunt, Taylor, Smith, Johnson (Yes, he stays)...purrfect, IF MITCHELL LEAVES, HUNT HAS TO STAY...BRENT WILL RETURN, HE HAS A GREAT GIG AND HE IS PRODUCING

LBs ... Leonard, Elimimian (Yes he stays), Reddick, Bighill, Yurichuk, Goese (Anton released for cap reasons)...I HAVE TO AGREE WITH ANTON...DON'T COUNT OUT AMARA KAMARA

DBs ... Banks, Marsh, Kornegay, Phillips, Dennis, Ruffin, Priest...THIS IS CRUCIAL TO REPEAT AS GREY CUP CHAMPIONS, A LOCK DOWN SECONDARY AGAIN...THEY LOVE THIS RAPHAEL PRIEST THOUGH

STs ... McCallum, O'Neill
...MCCALLUM, 2 YEAR DEAL...O'NEILL 2 MORE YEARS FISHING IN SOUTH AMERICA...OR WHEREVER...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein