Trade for Arland Bruce

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SammyGreene
Team Captain

Kornegay and now Bruce are two significant salaries the Lions have added to their payroll with apparently no veterans being released to make it work?

At least it's a household name player that sends a message to the vital (but shrinking) casual fan base that the Lions are trying to do something to get better. Hope it works out and at the very least loosens up the coverage on Geroy. Welcome to BC Arland :thup:
MacNews
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:Just want to add that remember when he left the Argos after punching Prefontaine on the sidelines and now he is discontented with the amount of balls thrown his way, not like that is going to accelerate as a Lion.

It does point out the inability to find a solid receiver this past off season though.
I am surprised how long it has taken the Lions to find my replacement.

Signed,

Chris Brazzell
donefron
Starter

KnowItAll wrote:yup, a wounded duck, lame duck, EX great reciever with attitude problems is sure the solve to lions woes, specially on defense. Grey cup, here we come. Its in the bag now.
of course sarcasm aside you are absolutely correct when you place the majority of the blame on the woes of the D on this team. We are dead last in most defensive stats, the only productive ones have been Solomon with 31 tackles tied for league lead and maybe Dante with 23 being in the top 10.the offence is not as bad as people want to believe
CFL League Leaders | Offence Passing Yards
1. Ray, R EDM 1,492
2. Calvillo, A MTL 1,485
3. Lulay, T BC 1,404
4. Burris, H CGY 1,401
5. Glenn, K HAM 1,238
a better running game and more consistency from some of our recievers would be nice but we are scoring enough points to win games. unfortunately we dont stop enough of them to win. Bruce may provide that consistency but hopefully he can relieve some focus of the pressure from Geroy so that he may better do his job with out getting mugged downfieldw hile the refs sit on the flags( Cough Cough Winnipeg Cough Cough). A little more D and we might be 3-2 right now, the D lost both the Hamilton & Calgary games and helped Wally give away that game in MTL as well.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

So we trade for a guy who forced his departure from Toronto.

And sulked his way out of Hamilton.

He is not 100%. He is aging. He is not a poster boy for team player. He is a prima donna. He complains when he is not given the ball enough. He is past his prime. He has a big salary. He has attitude problems. He might have been available for free. And we give up draft picks for him.

There is no guarantee he will help our passing game. His effect on the chemistry of the team is questionable.

IMO it rarely works well when a new team tries to take on a talented player (older, injured, expensive, with baggage) other teams have given up on.

Does it seem likely that we will go on to win the Grey Cup after squeaking into the playoffs? Does it seem likely that we will be hosting a playoff game under the new roof? Or does it look like the same old, same old?

Wally is making desperation personnel moves. Moves for the sake of looking like he is doing something. Moves to shake up his team. It is becoming an old, too familiar, ineffective strategy.

IMO ...
MykAussie
Rookie

Wow! I like this alot! Hope it works out and he plays some great years with the Lions. Arland is one of my favorite CFL players ever!
Myk Aussie
185+ Sports, Comedy MYKwebTV
shows, lots of CFL.
http://www.mykaussie.com
Twitter: MykAussie
joe kapp22
Legend

donefron wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:yup, a wounded duck, lame duck, EX great reciever with attitude problems is sure the solve to lions woes, specially on defense. Grey cup, here we come. Its in the bag now.
of course sarcasm aside you are absolutely correct when you place the majority of the blame on the woes of the D on this team. We are dead last in most defensive stats, the only productive ones have been Solomon with 31 tackles tied for league lead and maybe Dante with 23 being in the top 10.the offence is not as bad as people want to believe
CFL League Leaders | Offence Passing Yards
1. Ray, R EDM 1,492
2. Calvillo, A MTL 1,485
3. Lulay, T BC 1,404
4. Burris, H CGY 1,401
5. Glenn, K HAM 1,238
a better running game and more consistency from some of our recievers would be nice but we are scoring enough points to win games. unfortunately we dont stop enough of them to win. Bruce may provide that consistency but hopefully he can relieve some focus of the pressure from Geroy so that he may better do his job with out getting mugged downfieldw hile the refs sit on the flags( Cough Cough Winnipeg Cough Cough). A little more D and we might be 3-2 right now, the D lost both the Hamilton & Calgary games and helped Wally give away that game in MTL as well.
That is kind of were stats do not tell the whole story though, to many 2 and outs by the offense and frankly, no one making plays when the game is on the line, but the Defence has been horrible, no doubt about that one.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
Ravi
Legend

Rammer wrote:Just want to add that remember when he left the Argos after punching Prefontaine on the sidelines and now he is discontented with the amount of balls thrown his way, not like that is going to accelerate as a Lion.

It does point out the inability to find a solid receiver this past off season though.
Robert Baker was the one who punched Prefontaine back in '05. Bruce called out his QB, Kerry Joseph, and his head coach, Bart Andrus, in the media though. I think that there may have been other issues previously as Don Matthews reportedly wanted to get rid of Bruce in '08 and Rich Stubler wasn't crazy about him either.

What strikes me about this deal and many of Wally's recent moves is that he has clearly changed the way that he builds football teams. Up to about three years ago, Wally would never have made such a deal and he rarely went after other teams' discards. Today, it seems that bringing in players from other teams is as much a part of building a Buono-coached and -managed team as the traditional recruiting that was once done by the likes of Obie and Shivers.
Rammer
Team Captain

Ravi wrote:

Robert Baker was the one who punched Prefontaine back in '05. Bruce called out his QB, Kerry Joseph, and his head coach, Bart Andrus, in the media though. I think that there may have been other issues previously as Don Matthews reportedly wanted to get rid of Bruce in '08 and Rich Stubler wasn't crazy about him either.

What strikes me about this deal and many of Wally's recent moves is that he has clearly changed the way that he builds football teams. Up to about three years ago, Wally would never have made such a deal and he rarely went after other teams' discards. Today, it seems that bringing in players from other teams is as much a part of building a Buono-coached and -managed team as the traditional recruiting that was once done by the likes of Obie and Shivers.
Really, I don't recall Baker as the guy, but thanks for the correction.

As for this deal and others, I am beginning to believe the report on the Lion/Als game that this will be Wally's final season as the HC. It makes sense given the desperation moves to help salvage the 2011 season, as it certainly doesn't show long term thinking.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

This trade reeks of desperation. 33 years old, injured, brings alot of baggage.
The_Pauser
Legend

I think Arland Bruce is a guy who can help bridge the gap for some of our younger receivers. Clearly we weren't successful throwing them all to the wolves, especially with a rookie QB as well. Bruce gives us a legitimate 1-2 punch with Simon that could be solid for the next two or even three years. Meanwhile Gore, Foster, and Ianuzzi can ease their way into a more prominent role.
Roar you Lions roar!
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:This trade reeks of desperation. 33 years old, injured, brings alot of baggage.
Well of course it does; we are 0-5!!! Still I think its a good move to take some pressure off of Gore if anything.
Area51
All Star

joe kapp22 wrote:
Nice, hopefully that brings some stability to the Wr corps.

"Stability" and "Arland Bruce" should never be mentioned in the same paragraph, let alone in the same sentence. This is the guy you want "mentoring" the young WRs? Wow.

It's one thing to bring in a whack-job, self promoting WR in his mid-20's, but a completely different story when it's mid-30's. Unfortunately, the physical skills have eroded, but the flamboyant over the top showmanship is still as prevalent as ever. Bruce is a carbon copy of Randy Moss and Terell Owens - - all with the same me-first-ahead-of-team mentality that will gladly take a 15yd penalty if it means getting the chance to do a stupid on field celebration.

These kind of situations only end in disappointment, and I'd expect that at some point within the next 12 months Bruce will be quietly released by the Lions. Expect a great start for a half dozen or so games followed by a quick downward spiral.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Area51 wrote:"Stability" and "Arland Bruce" should never be mentioned in the same paragraph, let alone in the same sentence. This is the guy you want "mentoring" the young WRs? Wow.

It's one thing to bring in a whack-job, self promoting WR in his mid-20's, but a completely different story when it's mid-30's. Unfortunately, the physical skills have eroded, but the flamboyant over the top showmanship is still as prevalent as ever. Bruce is a carbon copy of Randy Moss and Terell Owens - - all with the same me-first-ahead-of-team mentality that will gladly take a 15yd penalty if it means getting the chance to do a stupid on field celebration.

These kind of situations only end in disappointment, and I'd expect that at some point within the next 12 months Bruce will be quietly released by the Lions. Expect a great start for a half dozen or so games followed by a quick downward spiral.
http://www.thespec.com/sports/ticats/ar ... -bruce-era
Never the quickest or biggest guy on his teams, he was always able to get separation from his coverage in the past which got him open enough for his quarterback to find him. That enabled him to lead the Cats in receiving last year with 86 catches for 1,303 yards.

This year, that gap creation seems to be in short supply. Same with the vacuumlike hands that sucked in any ball near him. After four games — parts of which he missed with injuries which can be another sign of age catching up with a guy — he has just nine catches for 104 yards. Last week against Montreal he laid a goose egg. He’s nowhere near the league leaders this time around and is falling fast from even the top of the team’s leaderboard.
Not all that quick. Not all that big. At his best he got good separation.

"This year, gap creation seems to be in short supply."

"Same with the vacuumlike hands that sucked in any ball near him."

He might give us something for a few games.

Does anyone really think he will play at an all star level?

Does anyone think he will be back next year?

At best, a short term boost.

At worst, a long term failure of personnel work, team building, and chemistry erosion by the GM.
David
Team Captain

I am not as pessimistic about this deal as most. Bruce is getting up there, but likely has 2-3 more productive seasons if he can get past this spate of injuries. I would still easily put him among the Top 10 receivers in the CFL (I had him in the Top 5 two seasons ago). Moody? Flaky? Self-centered? Self-promoter? Apparently his coaches and teammates didn't seem to think he was a problem:

A sampling of comments from the Scratching Post:
Ticats receiver Maurice Mann (@Mr_Mobama_86) via Twitter
S/o to @RUNAKORETH I appreciate you takin me under your wing fam. I'm honored to have the opportunity to line up alongside a legend! #HOF

Ticats DB Dylan Barker (@Barqs20) via Twitter:

Hope everything works out in BC man..... it was a pleasure playing with ya! #ALLSTAR #1

Ticats head coach Marcel Bellefeuille:
“I think it's going to be good for all parties. B.C. is getting a very good football player. It's going to be a good opportunity for Arland, both as a football player and personally.”

“For us, it's not necessarily something we set out to do but it's a situation where we were able to recoup the draft picks that we used two years ago. We got two great years from Arland, which was outstanding.”

“We're in a situation right now where we have some good young players that are playing and we have to make the decision that's best for the organization, not only this year, but for the upcoming years.”

“We have a number of good young players that need to continue to get playing time.”

“There's never a time that's a best time. You have to deal with these things as they come up.”

“Arland's been awesome. I'm going to miss him on a personal level. I really enjoyed coaching him, I liked being around him."

“He was a consummate pro here – I've never had an issue with Arland since he's been here, not one.”

“I still think he has good football in him and he's going to be a productive player in B.C.”

“I'm confident in how our young guys have played and with Maurice coming back that we have some good receivers here that need to continue to grow.”

“We weren't shopping him. Other teams had inquired and we had turned other teams down prior to this.”

Ticats quarterback Kevin Glenn:
“It's a shock. I'm speechless. I don't know what to say, honestly. He's a great guy, a great teammate.”

“The guy was in films with us this morning contributing and helping the young guys so why would I have thought he was going to be traded after practice.”

“I think people read too much into 'is this guy doing something different, is something going on?'”

“He's a legit all-star so it says something about the guys we have here that we were able to trade him away.”

“He's a great teammate. I never once had any problems with him as a quarterback or as a person.”

“What the guy has done for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats has been phenomenal. He's helped restore Tiger-Cats football, playoff football, back to Hamilton.”

While I don't like to give up non-import talent, with 5 picks likely in the first 3 rounds including 2 first rounders, we will still have a lot of good Canadian talent to choose from (and seem to have trouble stashing draft picks anyway). While we've improved our 3rd round drafting production lately (Joash Gesse - 2010, Jason Arakgi - 2009), we haven't had a lot of successful picks come at that spot. Tad Crawford - 2007, David Lowry - 2005, Scott Plummer - 2004.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

What did you expect his former teammates and coaches to say David? Of course they're going to say that. Our guys said the same thing about that A-hole Jason Jimenez when he left.

I guess this is the end of Paris Jackson, that sucks. Not sold on this Runako Reth guy. Everyone keeps mentioning his last years numbers, this years number look like s**t.

Be fun to see how our cap situation is now.
Last edited by West Coast Blue Fan on Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008