Lions @ Riders, Nov 14, Pre-Game Odds and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote: With the Lions it is hard to predict how they will do. To expect Lulay to pass for 400 yards is a bit of a stretch and we know the Lions OC is not much of a run guy other than a lot of short dump offs to his RB so part of what might work vs Riders in running is not available philosophically to their team. It would be nice to have a shot at running through them and giving them both passing and running to focus on rather than the Chaps offensive thinking.
Everyone conveniently forgets Chap doggedly refused to throw a single “short dump off” to his halfback other than randomly, up until the second half of this season and only then reluctantly, because his total air superiority show crashed and burned in flames, when returning every third game to his comfort zone of no anti-blitz package. :tp:
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
zark
Champion

We have to capitalize on their mistakes, of course. Every one in Canada and a small portion of America knows that the Riders can't count.
What are the Riders other weaknesses?
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

LFITQ wrote:Where is Sherko at? What is our starting oline? This has been the biggest area of concern the whole season (and yes I would say for a few years running), but this year with all of the injuries it has been hard to get any consistency that is the hallmark of an oline that has been playing together for quite some time. And this is where I am concerned.
According to LU, Sherko isn't practising yet but is expected to play. Time will tell.
Sherko Haji-Rasouli was dressed for practice but Jesse Newman did all the work. The club says Haji-Rasouli will play Sunday. We're going to watch a few more days, providing we dry off, to see what happens.
Link
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

swervynmerv wrote:I hope you are right Pauser.I listened to the Regina sportstalk show today and the media and fans are predicting a blowout of at least a 14-21 point win. I hope the Riders are so cocky!! It will be a tough game and the Riders should be favored to win, but if they think the Lions will roll over and that the West Final in Calgary is an automatic, they are in for a suprise!!
Just like the Rider fans that was at Empire Stadium 2 weeks ago.
Blitz
Team Captain

PigSkin_53 wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote: With the Lions it is hard to predict how they will do. To expect Lulay to pass for 400 yards is a bit of a stretch and we know the Lions OC is not much of a run guy other than a lot of short dump offs to his RB so part of what might work vs Riders in running is not available philosophically to their team. It would be nice to have a shot at running through them and giving them both passing and running to focus on rather than the Chaps offensive thinking.
Everyone conveniently forgets Chap doggedly refused to throw a single “short dump off” to his halfback other than randomly, up until the second half of this season and only then reluctantly, because his total air superiority show crashed and burned in flames, when returning every third game to his comfort zone of no anti-blitz package. :tp:
And its been our major weapon offensively for the past number of games. In the past 4 games we've thrown an incredible 30 passes to Jamal Robertson. We didn't throw to our tailback in the first half of the season because we had him in blocking almost all of the time.

If I'm the Riders I'm not sitting back in the flats but playing Robertson aggressively. Lulay loves to throw to him and so the Riders defensive coach, if wise, would take away our favorite weapon. We should anticipate that...and Lulay will need to be able to throw the intermediate pass (or second level pass) in the 8-15 yard range successfully if the Riders decide to play Robertson aggressively in the flats. We'd also be wise to slip Robertson upfield, in the seam between the outside linebacker and the middle linebacker, in the five yard range. Teams are starting to spy Lulay more, knowing his two main tendancies are to run with the football and throw to Robertson. The Riders will probably pay special attention to Simon and Arsenault, forcing us to Black, Jackson, and Wilson, who need to play big in this game, if necessary.

Chap should be anticipating that the Riders may play us to take away our strengths.

Here is the most interesting statistic, in terms of turning this season around. In our last seven victories, are defense has given up an average of 7 points per second half of the game. That kind of defense, in the second half of games, usually means victory and it has.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.bclions.com/

There are times when one can easily understand why Wally has all those wins as a CFL coach.

I thought this was a good post practice interview. Just about Travis, the weather in Regina, etc.

Re Travis Lulay

"a little bit of Dave Dickenson, a little bit of Jeff Garcia" Wow. High praise. Work ethic. Intelligence. Confidence.

This is the guy we saw from TC last year, and now that he seems to have settled down, adjusted to the speed of the game, etc., he just might be that guy again.

Re the weather

(It seems we fans sometimes worry more about the weather than the coaches or players.)

"weather can be a distraction, or a reality" "the players on both teams are from the same part of the world" True. No great shocks or surprises, although the icy cold of Regina could be a shocker for some of those Deep South boys.

Feels like Parka, toque, scarf, boots and gloves weather already.

Any of those Watermelon Heads gonna go bareback in the stands? Ha ha

How about a streaker? Ha ha

In terms of fair play, etc. I think if there are gonna be streakers at some football games, why can't most of them be female?
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Hopefully it won't be raining cans of beer....again
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
SammyGreene
Team Captain

So Lucas is definitely out and Simpson (ankle) still isn't practising but is expected to test it today. Riders definitely hurting at linebacker.
Also noticed in the Edm/Sask game last week how little Etch disguises his blitzes — basically will line-up 7 or 8 at the line of scrimmage and that's who is coming 90 per cent of the time. Ray was audibling when he saw it, and knew he had 1-one-1 match-ups down field. Will be interesting to see how Chap/Lulay deal with it.
pennw
Legend

SammyGreene wrote:So Lucas is definitely out and Simpson (ankle) still isn't practising but is expected to test it today. Riders definitely hurting at linebacker.
Also noticed in the Edm/Sask game last week how little Etch disguises his blitzes — basically will line-up 7 or 8 at the line of scrimmage and that's who is coming 90 per cent of the time. Ray was audibling when he saw it, and knew he had 1-one-1 match-ups down field. Will be interesting to see how Chap/Lulay deal with it.
Ticats came after Lulay constantly too and he passed that test pretty good . Lulay has much better escape-ability than Ray . Something that could be used against the Riders especially if they are thin at LB.
Blitz
Team Captain

We appear to be a confident team heading into Regina on Sunday. Here are some quotes from TSN from Ryan Phillips and Aaron Hunt:

"At the end of the day, we're in now and there's nothing nobody else can do about it now," defensive back Ryan Phillips said. "If we're the team that everyone is kind of scared of facing, we've got to go out there and put it to them and take that intimidation to another level."Phillips' comments were echoed defensive lineman Aaron Hunt."I honestly believe that people are afraid of us right now," Hunt said. "We're going into the playoffs hot right now…I would be afraid if I was Saskatchewan or Calgary if they have to face us."
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Nice to be back here in Canada (two weeks in Japan). My girlfriend recorded the last two Lions wins and the Edm/Sask game. I obviously knew the results but I had to watch the games upon my return.

Yonus Davis had some bulletin board messages for the Lions. Confidence is a good thing I guess but he seems to be saying the Roughriders will be an easier game than the Ticats. Glad he feels it but wish he wouldn't say it. He has been a pleasure to watch so I hope he and his Special Teamers can back up his chatter.

Looking forward to the playoffs, I think anything can happen. I think the Roughriders have been stumbling as of late but this was a team that helped our Lions get into the playoffs. It just seems like the things the Riders talk about ( using Cates and Durant not throwing picks) are not the things they are doing well. I hope the West-Semi is a classic. I know teams will never admit wanting to play one team or another but maybe Calgary fans have a favourite?
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

If it comes down to field goal kicking then the Lions win this going away.
wildthing
All Star

Blitz wrote:We appear to be a confident team heading into Regina on Sunday. Here are some quotes from TSN from Ryan Phillips and Aaron Hunt:

"At the end of the day, we're in now and there's nothing nobody else can do about it now," defensive back Ryan Phillips said. "If we're the team that everyone is kind of scared of facing, we've got to go out there and put it to them and take that intimidation to another level."Phillips' comments were echoed defensive lineman Aaron Hunt."I honestly believe that people are afraid of us right now," Hunt said. "We're going into the playoffs hot right now…I would be afraid if I was Saskatchewan or Calgary if they have to face us."
has the makings of a good game. My question to Phillips/Hunt would be, if everyone is afraid why didn't the Riders simply tank the game against the Esks? Surely if they were frightened it would have been easy to do and the Leos would be on the outside looking in. Love the fact they are talking though the Riders get lots of locker room material.

Best of luck on Sunday guys :beer:
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:We appear to be a confident team heading into Regina on Sunday. Here are some quotes from TSN from Ryan Phillips and Aaron Hunt:

Hey Blitz, just curious; what's with the sig line change?
1greatmysticbushape
Champion

they've got another thing comming . . .