Best Surprises/Most Disappointing

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Can we include Lionbackers on this list? :wink: :wink: :wink:
Blitz
Team Captain

JohnHenry wrote:Franks is the best surprise. He's been solid all season, playing like a veteran. Eliminiam is a surprise, mainly because LB was thought to be a weakness with the release of D. Haley and McKenzie having to man the middle. Eliminiam has taken over, but still needs more seasoning. J. Robertson is a bit of a surprise, because I didn't think he was that good...but he's been solid after some early season fumbles. Can't forget about Y. Davis, who has looked good from Day 1 in camp and is a dominating returner.

I wouldn't say Crawford is most disappointing, as I had little hope for him, watching him from previous seasons. I gotta say that our QB's, Printers and Lulay have been most disappointing. That may be due to the patchwork O-Line protection, or bad schemes, but the QB's have not been productive. It's hard to grade the receivers as they've had such poor service all season. J. Lee and Messam are also disappointments, mainly due to a lack of opportunity, while so much was expected.
I certainly agree with you on Franks John Henry (stil love that name)..he's really been good.

I took note when you said it's hard to grade the recievers. Geroy Simon wouldn't make many lists but in some ways it should be a surprise that he's still go-to-receiver material at his age. Simon has had too many drops this season for a veteran reciever but he's cracked the 1000 yard mark again. What makes Simon's career here so impressive is that he's had to play for so many quarterbacks during his time who were rookie starters..from Printers in 2004, to Buck in 2006 to Jarious in 2007 to Lulay this season. Dickenson only started a little over 1/3 of his games during his time here and we've had a constantly changing parade of quarterbacks either due to injury or Wally's constant penchant for a new date at that position. Simon, playing with three different starters this season, is presently sixth in CFL receiving but he's in close territory to being third...not bad when you look at how bad our protection and our offence has been this year.

However, Simon is close to the twilight of his career and we've stuggled over the years to find an import to compliment him, let alone replace him.

Messam, Lee, Gore, Newman are talents that haven't had opportunity to show their stuff. I'd like to see Newman worked at right tackle next season or even center. When I look back at us moving Sherko, our best guard last year to tackle to begin the season and playing a rookie import at guard, it just makes me wonder if Dorazio, Chap, and Wally needed to have their heads examined. However, with Newman, Sorenson, and Jones for depth next year, our Canadian depth at offensive line is looking good again.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

most disappointing - Wally.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

One name that I haven't seen and unfortunately maybe belongs on the :thdn: list is Arsenault. He has the sophomore jinx. He has dropped a lot of passes this year that were easily catcable and has been a bit underwheliming. Not Wilson level by any means but certainly sub par compared to last season.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Whisperin' Jimmy
Starter

Good post, Blitz. Threads like these are the reason I come to this forum.
Blitz wrote:2. Korey Banks-we all know what Korey Banks can do but playing nickel for his second season, Banks is tied for most sacks on our Leos, he's made some huge plays, and should be in the running for Defensive Player of the Year.
I feel Banks is an overlooked gem. I don't think I've ever seen a Banks jersey in the stand, but there sure ought to be.

I recall once after Banks appeared out nowhere to stop a run, I asked my son what position Banks had lined up at. "He doesn't need a position," he said. "He's Korey f*'ing Banks. He does what he wants." To me, he kind of defines the swagger the Lions used to have, the cockiness that used to infuriate Riders fans and make reporters gleeful. I miss those days.
:sigh:
"Football combines the two worst things about America: it is violence punctuated by committee meetings." -George F. Will
korey&dante4ever
Champion

Whisperin' Jimmy wrote: recall once after Banks appeared out nowhere to stop a run, I asked my son what position Banks had lined up at. "He doesn't need a position," he said. "He's Korey f*'ing Banks. He does what he wants."
HAHAHAHA... :rockin:
-Believes in building from the trenches outwards. A great O-Line and D-Line guarantees an above average team.
-A coach that has to give a motivational pregame speech is probably a coach that is insecure about his game plan.
Hawkballer 14
Champion

Whisperin' Jimmy wrote:I recall once after Banks appeared out nowhere to stop a run, I asked my son what position Banks had lined up at. "He doesn't need a position," he said. "He's Korey f*'ing Banks. He does what he wants."
Rack your son, that take is strong. :beauty:

I have a sneaking feeling the return of the BC swagger is imminent: the young studs on D, the OL getting a full off-season to continue to jell, TL having #1 reps in the winter/spring...

The future is bright. :beauty:
joe kapp22
Legend

Whisperin' Jimmy wrote:Good post, Blitz. Threads like these are the reason I come to this forum.
Blitz wrote:2. Korey Banks-we all know what Korey Banks can do but playing nickel for his second season, Banks is tied for most sacks on our Leos, he's made some huge plays, and should be in the running for Defensive Player of the Year.
I feel Banks is an overlooked gem. I don't think I've ever seen a Banks jersey in the stand, but there sure ought to be.

I recall once after Banks appeared out nowhere to stop a run, I asked my son what position Banks had lined up at. "He doesn't need a position," he said. "He's Korey f*'ing Banks. He does what he wants." To me, he kind of defines the swagger the Lions used to have, the cockiness that used to infuriate Riders fans and make reporters gleeful. I miss those days.
Well, that swagger is buried under a pile of talented Rookies, many of whom are new to the League, physically gifted but not exactly 5 yr Vets steering the ship upstairs.

Most Disappointing to me is the lack of a passrushing DE, Wally B has cycled through a platoon of guys and none of them panned out.

That really hurts the 4 man passrush line, Keron Williams is coming on, but I suspect he is just not explosive enough to really fill the shoes of the guys who went ahead of him, and the newbies like Pittman and Craig just have not shown quite enough.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
Hawkballer 14
Champion

ed_lunsford wrote:Most Disappointing to me is the lack of a passrushing DE, Wally B has cycled through a platoon of guys and none of them panned out.
We might have to lower our expections a little. We've been severely spoiled with Ricky, Cam and Brent.
joe kapp22
Legend

Hawkballer 14 wrote:
ed_lunsford wrote:Most Disappointing to me is the lack of a passrushing DE, Wally B has cycled through a platoon of guys and none of them panned out.
We might have to lower our expections a little. We've been severely spoiled with Ricky, Cam and Brent.
Disagree, if anything they have shown that they can find "that guy"...so find him. :cheer:
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
Hawkballer 14
Champion

ed_lunsford wrote:Disagree, if anything they have shown that they can find "that guy"...so find him. :cheer:
They might already have him. Calling Mr. Jones, Mr. Richard Jones. :beauty:
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Keron Williams, Tad Crawford and Ryan Phillips have been the biggest disappointments for me.

On a different note, Arcenaulx is ahead of last years numbers. Disappointment maybe? I think its more on our scheme. But his has had some major brain farts.

Aluminam, Franks, Reddick, Leonard and Davis have all been outstanding......as was Whyte when thrust into action.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
korey&dante4ever
Champion

That really hurts the 4 man passrush line, Keron Williams is coming on, but I suspect he is just not explosive enough to really fill the shoes of the guys who went ahead of him, and the newbies like Pittman and Craig just have not shown quite enough.
Looking ahead to 2011...I really, really think we need to find 1, maybe 2 more DE's...

Keron should be playing on the inside.. (But having Hunt in there next year puts that notion to rest)... ok fine.. then Keron at the very most should be playing the short side end (where he started the year)... injuries (Pittman) and the lack of finding a rush end have forced him to play the wide side, and he's just not suited to that position...
-Believes in building from the trenches outwards. A great O-Line and D-Line guarantees an above average team.
-A coach that has to give a motivational pregame speech is probably a coach that is insecure about his game plan.
Game Day, Baby!
Rookie

Keron Williams, Tad Crawford and Ryan Phillips have been the biggest disappointments for me.
I can't believe that the team gave the defensive game ball to T Crawford tonight. How stupid.
joe kapp22
Legend

korey&dante4ever wrote:

Looking ahead to 2011...I really, really think we need to find 1, maybe 2 more DE's...

Keron should be playing on the inside.. (But having Hunt in there next year puts that notion to rest)... ok fine.. then Keron at the very most should be playing the short side end (where he started the year)... injuries (Pittman) and the lack of finding a rush end have forced him to play the wide side, and he's just not suited to that position...
I'm not sure Hunt makes it though, K Mitchell is younger and cheaper, we all watched what Jones could do, were is the room for Hunt and E. Williams?

BJ is in his mid 30's, tbh we could really use a NI to fill that role.