Blackout Lifted....

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I just found out that in Hong Kong here I cannot buy TSN CFL Broadband this year and half the time I get blocked out of these other free online sites due to number restrictions in my country.

How freaking bush league is the CFL to not allow someone to buy their online game when we are out of the country. It is no wonder with the small minds that run the CFL game that they don't have football on the level of hockey or soccer where the teams like the English Premier League and Scottish Pro League market all over the world especially here in Asia by sending their reserve teams here for Hong Kong Football 7s and their top teams for exhibition games. CFL is absolutely bush. One of the few products you can't buy when you want to.. .. a complete joke.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
squishy35
Legend

You can probably blame the feds for the stringent CRTC regulations. :thdn:
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

squishy35 wrote:You can probably blame the feds for the stringent CRTC regulations. :thdn:
These are commercial business decisions made by the CFL and what contracts they have.

Today I didn't get kicked off the free sites.

I can't understand why the Lions owner continues to be so tough about lifting the black outs when his stadium this season is so small. Leaving it to last minute is silly when for 3 weeks it has been a near sell out.

It should be a good marketing opportunity for when they go back to the dome. Quite frankly over plugging the outdoor site will harm their return to the dome where I have always preferred to watch games.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
squishy35 wrote:You can probably blame the feds for the stringent CRTC regulations. :thdn:
These are commercial business decisions made by the CFL and what contracts they have.
I think the lack of CFL broadband for sale has more to do with music licensing, announcers contracts, performers unions, and copyright than anything else. I'm not sure what the union status of TSN's announcers is, but if they belong to ACTRA or any performers union then TSN/CFL is not going to be able to re-sell these games on line without cutting a deal with the unions who represent the announcers. Ditto the music rights. It's most likely the CFL doesn't even have the right to distribute the TSN broadcasts on-line, and it's not going to be worth the headache for CTV Globe Media just to sell a few online subscriptions outside of Canada.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

I use a SlingBox so I'm not at the whim of some peon who decides whether the games are streamed or not........you guys should look into it, if blackouts become an issue.

The nice thing is that you don't need to go back to Canada to set up.......get a friend/relative (with TSN) to attach the Slingbox to their cable and you stream to your computer anywhere in the world (with broadband access)........with zero effect on the friend/relative's viewing.
Lloyd
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Shi Zi Mi wrote:I use a SlingBox so I'm not at the whim of some peon who decides whether the games are streamed or not........you guys should look into it, if blackouts become an issue.

The nice thing is that you don't need to go back to Canada to set up.......get a friend/relative (with TSN) to attach the Slingbox to their cable and you stream to your computer anywhere in the world (with broadband access)........with zero effect on the friend/relative's viewing.
Thanks for this idea. It might be a good thing for me to see other Canadian shows I miss IF I can get someone back home to set our TV up with that.

Last year I had issues with signing up and ended missing games.

I assume you are in Korea watching live?
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Shi Zi Mi wrote:I use a SlingBox so I'm not at the whim of some peon who decides whether the games are streamed or not........you guys should look into it, if blackouts become an issue.

Thanks for this idea. It might be a good thing for me to see other Canadian shows I miss IF I can get someone back home to set our TV up with that.

Last year I had issues with signing up and ended missing games.

I assume you are in Korea watching live?
Yepper......there's nothing like Wendy's Saturday Morning Football.........lol.

My wife got up at 2am to watch the Stamps/TiCats game......she's a big Otis Floyd fan since his days in BC, so now she's a TiCat fan.

I'll be watching the Lions/Riders pregame on TSN in about 30mins.
Lloyd
ThreeTimesOneMinusOne
Champion

TSNHD didn't black out any games last season, and it was the same story tonight. I wonder what the story is with that station showing the games and the regular TSN not showing them.