Riders Final Possession

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

Would you have given up the safety to allow the game to be tied at that point, making the Als more conservative on O, and hoped for OT? That scenario did run through my mind at the time, but it would have been a gutsy decision to do given the time remaining.
Entertainment value = an all time low
LFITQ
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:Would you have given up the safety to allow the game to be tied at that point, making the Als more conservative on O, and hoped for OT? That scenario did run through my mind at the time, but it would have been a gutsy decision to do given the time remaining.
Nope but I wouldn't have given up the single earlier. I would have taken the penalty (for the 2nd time) and pushed the Als back another 5 yrds and had them re-kick. I was questioning that call when Miller decided to decline the penalty.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:Would you have given up the safety to allow the game to be tied at that point, making the Als more conservative on O, and hoped for OT? That scenario did run through my mind at the time, but it would have been a gutsy decision to do given the time remaining.
No. We were debating it at our party. Some said yes, but that would be hugely deflating to concede the tying points, then have to kick off from the 25 and defend against a game-winning single or field goal. Montreal started the final drive on their own 34 yard line, needing a field goal to win, after the punt and fumbled return. If the Riders had conceded and kicked off, Montreal likely would have had the ball at their own 45, needing a single point to win or simply to run out the clock to force overtime. There is no advantage to conceding the safety.
Vern Halen
Champion

LFITQ wrote:
Nope but I wouldn't have given up the single earlier. I would have taken the penalty (for the 2nd time) and pushed the Als back another 5 yrds and had them re-kick. I was questioning that call when Miller decided to decline the penalty.
Same here.

But as always, hindsight is 20/20 - if I was on the sidelines at that time, would I have made the same call? Not sure...notg really sure if I see the plus to cenceding the safety at that point. Sakoda was also punting well.
tedbear
Starter

LFITQ wrote:
I totaly agree with you that they should not have given up the single earlier as they accepted the first penalty moved them back and then declined the second one and gave them the single.

However although that point was the difference in the end. Things would have surely played out differently as on Montreals final touchdown Saskatchewan would have been leading by 7 instead of 8 and I am sure that Montreal would have kicked the single instead of going for 2 and the game would have been tied. Who knows how things would have played out in that situation? However in hindsight I guess we can agree that decision was not the right one.
Vern Halen
Champion

One of the differences in the game could have been Congi's missed FG in the 1st...didn't get even a single out of that...
Rammer
Team Captain

Vern Halen wrote:One of the differences in the game could have been Congi's missed FG in the 1st...didn't get even a single out of that...
I think that both the single that you and LFitQ point out, are too early in the game to begin discussions about, whereas under a minute and a half, the safety is a tangible decision to discuss upon. As pointed out the single would have meant that the Als go for the tied game and who knows what transpires for ball movement after that. Tying the game up with the safety perhaps forces the Als into a more conservative nature on O and they allow the game to go into OT. That said the 45 yardline is the average starting point for a team to gain after the KO, and that would have been almost 10 yards closer than the Als ended up after the punt and fumble.

At any rate, forcing the Als into an all or nothing scenario didn't work out for the Riders, the safety just approaches the final drive at a different angle.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Honestly, I think the biggest mistake they made was during that last possession on 2nd down. Durant and Cates had been very successful with the run so to throw that quick out to Rob Bagg (well short of 1st down territory) was a very poor call. I would have rolled Durant out with a pass or run option. I believe he would have had a very good chance of making it. He is tough to bring down on the run and he still has a pass or pitch option to Cates if he pulls with him.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

The biggest rider mistake was not going to the kill shot before the half. 21-3 would have been better than 17-3. That and their penalty on the final play, how do u have too many men at any point of the game? Thats just bad coaching.
Check out my lions art http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =4&t=15940

How does a rider fan spell dynasty????

O N E
nelson95
Legend

Given the way Duval was punting, to get him to punt 3 in a row might have been a good call.

Riders had some breaks late: Taylors fumble and the non-call on the 2 point

Unbelievable game to be at
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
hwgill
Legend

I too thought that the Riders should have gone for the TD before the half. I was also surprised with Trestmen when the Als had 3rd and a foot and he punted instead of going for it. I guess if I coached I would be much more aggressive .
" ... a team not being prepared to play is the head coach’s responsibility.” - Jim Barker
Rammer
Team Captain

hwgill wrote:I too thought that the Riders should have gone for the TD before the half. I was also surprised with Trestmen when the Als had 3rd and a foot and he punted instead of going for it. I guess if I coached I would be much more aggressive .
And potentially weeded out of the coaching ranks much earlier in your career.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
hwgill wrote:I too thought that the Riders should have gone for the TD before the half. I was also surprised with Trestmen when the Als had 3rd and a foot and he punted instead of going for it. I guess if I coached I would be much more aggressive .
And potentially weeded out of the coaching ranks much earlier in your career.
It's always debatable as to whether a good coach is a conservative one or an aggresive one. Obviously had the Riders didn't get a TD in that play, the coach would have been criticized big time. An aggresive coach in a Grey Cup game was Larry Donovan, but his two big risks in the 1988 GC didn't work out and costed the Lions the championship. On the other hand Don Matthews was rather conservative when he coached the Lions in the 1983 GC game, and the Lions also lost by a single point. :juggle:
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Vern Halen
Champion

But if you get stuffed by the Als going into the half, you not only come away with no points, you give the Alouettes a HUGE boost going into the locker room.

Better a bird in the hand, I say.
Ballistic Bob
Legend

nelson95 wrote:Given the way Duval was punting, to get him to punt 3 in a row might have been a good call.

Riders had some breaks late: Taylors fumble and the non-call on the 2 point

Unbelievable game to be at
I thought so to but in each kick it was getting closer to the coffin corner and I think Miller recognized that. Too bad he couldnt kick field goals that way BB
Wear orange or wear nothing