Changes/improvements at Lions games?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

I am interested in hearing what you would do to make the game day experience at B.C. Lions games even better. It can be just a small change to something radical if needed; I'd just like to learn from others how we can make going to games even more enjoyable (but I'd prefer to read something at least half-way creative than just "cheaper beer").

I'll start this off.

I loooooooooooooooove hearing "Roar You Lions Roar" after every touchdown and third quarter stretch. It's a great tune steeped in tradition and reminds me of some of the great U.S. college fight songs (i.e. USC, Notre Dame, and Michigan). But maybe it's time to retire the 1960's vocal version as it's just seems a trifle out of date for the mass audience. What about hiring a 40 piece pep band to play at games? You could seat them in the 7-11 endzone, dress them in orange and black, and they could play the instrumental version the way Dal Richards and the Beefeaters used to years ago, and occasionally play other fun tunes during a break in the play.

There's just something about football and bands that really goes well together and distinguishes it from just about any other sport.

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Rammer
Team Captain

Have a seat exchange day once a year, all those in the Gold seats have to exchange with Bronze ticket holders......:)
Entertainment value = an all time low
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

i cant stand roar u lions roar, it makes zero sense....roar u lions roar, thats what a lions roar is for???? thats just bad....

If it were up to me to improve the game experience then i would do two things. REmove alcohol from the concessions. And anyone who is visibly drunk should be removed.
Check out my lions art http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =4&t=15940

How does a rider fan spell dynasty????

O N E
crburrows
Champion

David wrote:I am interested in hearing what you would do to make the game day experience at B.C. Lions games even better. It can be just a small change to something radical if needed; I'd just like to learn from others how we can make going to games even more enjoyable (but I'd prefer to read something at least half-way creative than just "cheaper beer").

I'll start this off.

I loooooooooooooooove hearing "Roar You Lions Roar" after every touchdown and third quarter stretch. It's a great tune steeped in tradition and reminds me of some of the great U.S. college fight songs (i.e. USC, Notre Dame, and Michigan). But maybe it's time to retire the 1960's vocal version as it's just seems a trifle out of date for the mass audience. What about hiring a 40 piece pep band to play at games? You could seat them in the 7-11 endzone, dress them in orange and black, and they could play the instrumental version the way Dal Richards and the Beefeaters used to years ago, and occasionally play other fun tunes during a break in the play.

There's just something about football and bands that really goes well together and distinguishes it from just about any other sport.

DH
I'm with you on the song.

I'm thrilled at the hole in the roof thats coming.

I can live with the price of the beer, just get me through the lineup faster.

More Lions banners covering the concrete walls near the roof.

Finally, given that the place is too big for the crowds that we muster, I'd like to see the seats be alternating black and orange. This would make it harder to see how empty a section is. IIRC, a number of baseball stadia have gone with multi-coloured seating for this effect.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Better half time shows.
zark
Champion

The food is sub- par. Coming into a Lions game on a Friday night with no time to stop at a restaurant, it would be a treat to know that there are some places within BC place that can provide a good meal. Warmed over pre- cooked pizza and mystery meat hot dogs, don't add to the experience. Vancouver Canadians introduced sushi.
BC place needs to get more creative. A good quality burger and fries. No clown burgers. Smokies even, Yumm. The food management people are Sub- par. :puke:
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
orangegloves
Starter

A pep band would be great. But I think a drum line would be even better. Pep band seems to be a little to highschool or US college. I have been to Seahawks games and their drum line Blue Thunder is like nothing I have experienced. Stealing another thing from the Seahawks I think the Lions really need to focus in on the 13th fan. The Canucks tried to do it with their 7th fan, but that was pathetic, also we all know that Lions fans are better than Canucks fans, so that is why I think that a 13th fan thing would be great, with a raising of the flag before every game would work. I know I may get ripped by saying this, but something needs to be done about the beer service inside BC Place. My suggestion would increase the number of areas you can buy beer. At Qwest they have a beer stand every 20 feet, but they stop serving alcohol at the end of half time during evening games. That may be something the Lions may want to look at. Just have "beer tub" girls out side ever section, see if you can talk to Russel and get them to serve them in plastic bottles as well. This would make it faster to serve, the customers would enjoy the taste more, plus it is not a huge dangerous weapon like a full can, and you don't have that awful draft/cheep plastic cup taste. The Lions should try and set up a tailgate section. I know there was a group of people that tailgated on Concord Pacific grounds before they hired cops to basically shut it down. If you let people do things like this with a minor police presents things will not get out of control. The giveaways need to be a little better as well. Orange pom pom's, orange and black beads, orange/black gloves, these are worthwhile giveaways, plus it would be good if you could give them out to more than just the first 3000 fans, try and make it at least 10000 if not 15000. I liked the improvement with BC LIONS in the upper end zone last year just under the jumbotron, but BC Place needs to be a more intimidating place to play, if there is an empty section instead of having plastic BLUE seats get a giant orange and black cover, or ones with the Lions logos from past and present covering those seats, so when other teams come into BC Place it looks fuller, plus it will look better for the fans as well. Oh and when the Lions are on defense get the fans out of their seats, and if there are fans that do stand up and cheer, relay the message to the rent a cops that this is allowed!! Finally the merchandise needs to be improved. You know that at the games, you can`t get a) a Lions Key chain b) a Lions toque!! c) the Lions sideline draft hat something needs to be done about Netwerk and the merchandise that is sold at games. If I was coming into town for one game and wanted so of those items and couldn't get them at a game I would be pissed. There those are my recommendations for this year. I hope it helps and I hope that when I attend some games this year I will see them implemented.
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

I'm pretty sure that WA liquor laws are different that BC laws, therefore they can get away with selling beer in plastic bottles. Wasn't there an incident in Cleveland a number of years ago, where the refs got pelted with plastic beer bottles. I'm not saying that BC Place patrons are that ignorant and stupid, but that principle argument has to be made.

As for the pep band, the Argos and Riders have one. Part of me says that it would be cool to have a live version of the fight song a la US college football. For some reason, Oklahoma's fight song gets stuck in my head now and again.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Another vote for retaining Roar you Lions Roar.

There are three changes I would like to see:

1) Get rid of sideline cheerleader masquerading as a PA announcer

2) Get rid of Crazy Pete or whatever he calls himself

3) Better food
orangegloves
Starter

Canuck_4_Life wrote:I'm pretty sure that WA liquor laws are different that BC laws, therefore they can get away with selling beer in plastic bottles. Wasn't there an incident in Cleveland a number of years ago, where the refs got pelted with plastic beer bottles. I'm not saying that BC Place patrons are that ignorant and stupid, but that principle argument has to be made.

As for the pep band, the Argos and Riders have one. Part of me says that it would be cool to have a live version of the fight song a la US college football. For some reason, Oklahoma's fight song gets stuck in my head now and again.
While the liquor laws are different there is no law that prevents plastic bottles being sold in BC or in BC Place, it would just take an initiative from Russell, but it would cost a lot to implement to so I think that is why we have not seen it yet. As for was there an incident in Cleveland, yes there was back in 2001, but they were throwing empty plastic bottles, which is still not as bad as full cans being thrown. Remember Regina!
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Any possible projectile is just asking for trouble.

Better concessions, more ATMs, comfier seats, a parking lot for season ticket holders, less on field announcers asking us to make noise, and security guards under the age of 60.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
QB#9
Starter

The Hummer derby needs to be changed. Rather than having kids watch some animation on the big screen and then randomly choosing one of them as a winner, why not bring in a few large size remote controlled hummers, or other vehicle, and have the kids actually race them. Instead of having the kids just standing there looking confused. It would be more interresting for the fans too. Same with that subway sandwhich helmet thing in which it is just randomly selected.
orangegloves
Starter

West Coast Blue Fan wrote:Any possible projectile is just asking for trouble.

Better concessions, more ATMs, comfier seats, a parking lot for season ticket holders, less on field announcers asking us to make noise, and security guards under the age of 60.
It seems to be fine at NFL games, plus what is the difference beer in a bottle or water in a bottle they can both be used as projectiles. Last time I checked if someone really wanted to do some damage and try and through something at hit someone and try and injure them, the merchandise stands do sell mugs, and beer steins. You hit someone with one of those it would hurt like hell.
bcbillsfan
Rookie

I have to agree with orangegloves, the Seahawks do it right. Here are a few more things the BC Lions/BC Place should steal from the Seahawks.

You can bring your own food into the stadium as long as it is in a clear plastic bag or bring in a pizza and all you have to do is open the lid to show security whats in the box and you are good to go.

You can bring a factory sealed water bottle in with you (or a soft sided juice box or milk carton)

If you register as a designated driver you get a voucher for a free pop and a chance to win some prizes.

The plastic beer bottles are such a good idea, seller twists a cap and you have a beer. They even have roving beer vendors so you don't have to miss the action on the field. Plus the plastic bottles are 16 oz!

A better selection at the concessions would really be appreciated.
zark
Champion

I'd like to see the BC lions logo bigger than the corporate sponsor's logo on give away days.
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx