Buono gets back down to business - Lyndon Little

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Buon ... story.html
Buono gets back down to business

‘My first priority is to deal with our free agents,’ says Lions boss

By Lyndon Little, Vancouver SunJanuary 13, 2009 10:01 AM

Lions head coach-GM Wally Buono's first job is to deal with the team’s list of players who could become free agents on Feb. 16 if not signed to new deals.

Whether you’re the CEO of a large company, or just a guy punching a clock, some things never change. The first day back on the job after an extended time away can be disorienting.

B.C. Lions’ head coach and GM Wally Buono was undergoing that process Monday after returning from his annual family vacation in Hawaii.

“The first day back is always a bit overwhelming,” said Buono, looking tanned and fit at the team’s Surrey training facility. “What I find helpful is to just take one thing at a time. The off-season is a long process. But you can’t wait too long to do things because, before you know it, it’s time for training camp.”

Buono has cause to be reasonably optimistic about 2009:

• After a painful period adjusting to the death of club president Bob Ackles, the Lions’ head coach has settled into the new organizational structure that has him reporting directly to club owner David Braley.

• With the decision of defensive coordinator Mike Benevides to turn down the Toronto Argonauts’ head-coaching position, it appears the coaching staff will return intact. Considering the club seems set to make several key personnel changes on defence, the continuity at the coordinator’s position is huge.

• Unlike most other CFL teams the Lions have a relatively small list of players who could become free agents on Feb. 16. With the apparent signing to an NFL tryout of linebacker Jamall Johnson, the potential free agent list is down to import offensive tackles Rob Murphy and Jason Jimenez as well as backup Canadian lineman Matt Kirk.

One potential free agent the Lions have already re-signed in veteran kicker Paul McCallum.

“My first priority is to deal with our free agents,” Buono says. “Once you settle that situation you know how much money you have left to work with the rest of the roster.”

Buono is proceeding under the assumption the CFL salary management system will remain at virtually the same $4.2 million level as last season.

“We’ve made offers to both Rob and Jason,” he says. “In the next little while we should get a better idea where we’re at with both of them.”

Potentially more problematic could be the interest Stefan Logan seems to be attracting from a few NFL teams. The dynamic pint-size running back was one of the best things to happen to club last year. On just 122 carries the speedy 5-6 South Dakota product gained 889 yards on just 122 carries (7.3-yard average) and picked up another 477 yards on 52 receptions.

The Lions normally sign new players to minimum two-years-plus-option deals, but last spring Logan signed for just one year and he’s now checking out NFL interest in the option-year window provided in his contract. That window closes Feb. 15.

“We’ve made Stefan an offer,” says Buono. “All I can go on at this point is looking back to what he told us at the end of last season — that he liked it here and he wants to be some place where he knows he can play.”

With the release of veterans Jason Clermont, Otis Floyd and Tyrone Williams plus the anticipated loss of both Johnson and all-CFL defensive end Cam Wake, the Lions’ 2009 training camp should be one of the most competitive in years.

When he reflects back on 2008 — which featured 10 or more wins (11-7) for the seventh straight season but a loss to the Calgary Stampeders in the West Division final — Buono identified areas he would like to see improved.

“Defensively, I’d like us to be a bit more athletic,” says the guy who some time next season should become the league’s all-time winningest head coach. “And on offence, I feel we need to become more consistent and explosive.”

GRID BITS: This year’s CFL draft will be held on May 6. The Lions will have two first-round picks this year — their own plus Saskatchewan’s first-rounder as the result of a draft-day swap of positions last year … While Buono insists the preferred option is always to “find our own players,” he says the club may be “a little more active” this year in the CFL free agent market. All three of Saskatchewan’s outstanding linebacker corps of Maurice Lloyd, Anton McKenzie and Sean Lucas are due to become free agents Feb. 16 if the ’Riders don’t come to an agreement with them before that date. With Floyd released and Johnson apparently headed for an NFL training camp, the Lions are short two import LBs … The CFL evaluation camp for Canadians will be held March 6 in Toronto.

llittle@vancouversun.com
Last edited by WestCoastJoe on Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

* The free agent list is short: Murphy, Jimenez and Kirk.

I hope Murphy is ready to make a full commitment this year. In both body and spirit.

* Wally must have made an improvement in Mike Benevides' contract. Good move. We need Mike B more than ever with all the changes on D.

* I could see Wally stepping upstairs into Bobby Ackles' old position eventually, perhaps in a couple of years.

* I hope we get Stefan Logan back this year. With his talent, there is just that chance that some NFL team will give him a shot.

“Defensively, I’d like us to be a bit more athletic,” says the guy who some time next season should become the league’s all-time winningest head coach. “And on offence, I feel we need to become more consistent and explosive.”

More speed on D would be good. Hello, Maurice Lloyd. A more consistent year from Buck Pierce would really open things up for the O.
Rammer
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:* The free agent list is short: Murphy, Jimenez and Kirk.

I hope Murphy is ready to make a full commitment this year. In both body and spirit.

* Wally must have made an improvement in Mike Benevides' contract. Good move. We need Mike B more than ever with all the changes on D.

* I could see Wally stepping upstairs into Bobby Ackles' old position eventually, perhaps in a couple of years.

* I hope we get Stefan Logan back this year. With his talent, there is just that chance that some NFL team will give him a shot.

More speed on D would be good. Hello, Maurice Lloyd. A more consistent year from Buck Pierce would really open things up for the O.
I doubt that both Murphy and Jimenez are both in Lion colours for 09. Losing Logan would be a major blow and really make the Joe Smith trade a question mark for the long term future of the Lions RB position.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote: I doubt that both Murphy and Jimenez are both in Lion colours for 09. Losing Logan would be a major blow and really make the Joe Smith trade a question mark for the long term future of the Lions RB position.
Agreed.

Murphy's lack of work ethic last season makes him odd man out, IMO. Having said that, Jason Jiminez is the best Tackle in the CFL, and had all things been equal last season, I think Murphy would have gone anyway because in the SMS era, they likely weren't both going to be in Black and Orange.

And while Logan/Smith/Roberts was a strange one (Owing to the fact that Joe cost himself his job by skipping the Ackles memorial, and now is second behind Reid in Winnipeg), the easiest position to fill on the field is at RB.

Fill it, and get on with it. In Wally we trust.
zark
Champion

Solar Max wrote:
Rammer wrote: I doubt that both Murphy and Jimenez are both in Lion colours for 09. Losing Logan would be a major blow and really make the Joe Smith trade a question mark for the long term future of the Lions RB position.
Agreed.

Murphy's lack of work ethic last season makes him odd man out, IMO. Having said that, Jason Jiminez is the best Tackle in the CFL, and had all things been equal last season, I think Murphy would have gone anyway because in the SMS era, they likely weren't both going to be in Black and Orange.

And while Logan/Smith/Roberts was a strange one (Owing to the fact that Joe cost himself his job by skipping the Ackles memorial, and now is second behind Reid in Winnipeg), the easiest position to fill on the field is at RB.

Fill it, and get on with it. In Wally we trust.
right on!
Training camp should be good. I hope they get better weather this year.
As I remember, there'll be alot of "fans" complaining about Chaps.
Buck didn't win the starting job by the way .

:beer:
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Am I the only one that wonders why we haven't made an offer to Kirk? Seems to be a pretty valuable rotation guy to me. Worth keeping if the price is reasonable.

I'd hate to lose Logan, of course. But Running Back is, arguably, the easiest position to replace.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote: Losing Logan would be a major blow and really make the Joe Smith trade a question mark for the long term future of the Lions RB position.
Also, was it a good idea to release Roberts if it ends up we lose Logan........... hope SL stays.
Big Time
Champion

Considering Roberts tore his Achilles at the end of the season and came at a high price, it was absolutely the right thing to do. The wrong thing to do was to ever trade for him in the first place but that debate's over.

Besides, I'm sure Charles will be available at a cheaper price if the Lions really want to go after him. Personally, I saw nothing out of him this year that makes me think that we should sign him. You're better off going with a younger, less injured player who's also less of a smoker :mac:
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Personally, I saw nothing out of him this year that makes me think that we should sign him
At least Roberts could break the goal line when we need a score.

If he doesn't tear his achilles, we beat Calgary.

Murphy, Jimenez and Kirk would all be MAJOR losses if we don't re-sign them.

Despite what many LB's see as poor work ethic or lack of commitment, Rob Murphy is the premiere LT in this league. At 32, he still as lots of has left in the tank. Stith played 4 games, so let's not make it like he walks on water just yet.

Jimenez would be another huge loss if we don't re-sign him. Arguably the best RT in the league, losing his swagger, talent and aggression makes our line lose a step should he sign elsewhere.

Matt Kirk is a gifted NI that can play just about any position asked of him. He would easily be a starter on any other team, reminds me of McKay-Loescher but with more heart and talent.

We've already lost Ty Williams, Otis Floyd and Jason Clermont.....can you imagine losing Murphy, Jimenez and Kirk as well?

I know everyone seems to have a major hard on for Maurice Lloyd, but lets get OUR guys signed first and then pursue others.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Matt Kirk is a gifted NI that can play just about any position asked of him. He would easily be a starter on any other team, reminds me of McKay-Loescher but with more heart and talent.
And a better back.

Certainly you bring back one of the two. But it's a question of money;with so much rebuilding to do on defence, can you afford to keep both tackles?

As an alternate location for Murphy, how about the Argos?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

West Coast Blue Fan wrote:Matt Kirk is a gifted NI that can play just about any position asked of him. He would easily be a starter on any other team, reminds me of McKay-Loescher but with more heart and talent.
That's a pretty high assessment of a an undersized backup DT who can't hold his ground against bigger bodies in the middle and gets a paltry five tackles a year. I see him as a body who has a job only because there's no other non-import to back up the two import starters.
MacNews
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:“And on offence, I feel we need to become more consistent and explosive.”
I agree we need a more explosive offence.

Signed,

Speed Receiver
Area51
All Star

B.C.FAN wrote:
West Coast Blue Fan wrote:Matt Kirk is a gifted NI that can play just about any position asked of him. He would easily be a starter on any other team, reminds me of McKay-Loescher but with more heart and talent.
That's a pretty high assessment of a an undersized backup DT who can't hold his ground against bigger bodies in the middle and gets a paltry five tackles a year. I see him as a body who has a job only because there's no other non-import to back up the two import starters.

I second that. Kirk's a good guy, but he's easily replaced on ST and as a depth Dlineman by McCullogh. I very much doubt that Kirk could be a starting DT for any CFL team.
Rammer
Team Captain

Area51 wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:

I second that. Kirk's a good guy, but he's easily replaced on ST and as a depth Dlineman by McCullogh. I very much doubt that Kirk could be a starting DT for any CFL team.
All moot now anyways as Kirk wants to be closer to home and will seek employment with an Eastern team.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Dan Russell
Legend

$500,000 to spend on Logan, Murphy, and Jimenez is possible as they all will be in the range 0f 180,000 each or so. No Maurice Lloyd if you do that. I believe Saskatchewan will resign Lloyd thou anyways.