Lions release Otis Floyd

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Tighthead
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:Other potential Lions that may be given their walking papers include Tyrone Williams, Cory Banks, Barron Miles on defence. It wouldn't shock me if Geroy was released.
I would be completely shocked if Geroy was dumped.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Tighthead wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Other potential Lions that may be given their walking papers include Tyrone Williams, Cory Banks, Barron Miles on defence. It wouldn't shock me if Geroy was released.
I would be completely shocked if Geroy was dumped.
I don't think Geroy is going anywhere. Nor should he. He still runs beautiful routes. Great hands (although he did drop more than usual last year.) He creates great space. He does not seem to have lost any of his smooth gliding speed. He needs some help stretching the D, getting some different coverages.

Geroy is a pro, with extremely high standards for himself, and everyone else. Like most receivers he tends to get down when things are not going well, but IMO he is an excellent team guy. IMO he is still one of the top 2 or 3 receivers in the league. Hoping Geroy stays, and expecting he will. :beauty:
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

I can see Wally going to Tyrone and giving him the option: retire or risk being cut in TC.

As for Miles, I can see him coming back next year, just not as the guaranteed opening day starter, acting as a playing coach for Crawford, whom I don't think is ready quite yet for full time duty.
nelson95
Legend

Geeeroy ain't going anywhere
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
ThreeTimesOneMinusOne
Champion

I just got a Floyd jersey 5 months ago. Yeah, he's not at his peak, he started slow this year, but still decent enough.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I am also frustrated at the # of Supersimon drops this year BUT, I can't see nor do I want him on the :shock: list. Losing Clermont was a big enough shock for me.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Canuck_4_Life wrote:I can see Wally going to Tyrone and giving him the option: retire or risk being cut in TC.

As for Miles, I can see him coming back next year, just not as the guaranteed opening day starter, acting as a playing coach for Crawford, whom I don't think is ready quite yet for full time duty.
This strikes me as the most likely scenario for Miles. He's still a top shelf contributor on Special Teams.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote:Since the Lions have an extra $500,000 to play with, I wonder mabey if Casey Printers is available??
Can he play middle linebacker and tackle at the same time?
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

Thanks for some great years, Otis. You gave us some memorable quotes and memorable hits over the years and you came up huge in '06 when we won the Cup, thank you and good luck in your next stop.

Not really surprised, we all saw this coming. I just hope the next move is at MLB where we really suffered last season.
.G.
All Star

Hopefully this opens the door for any of McKenzie, Lloyd or Lucas. Ideally Lloyd, and move Glatt outside.
MABEY!
SammyGreene
Team Captain

It's sounding more and more like Tyrone Williams has also been released:

From Mike Beamish:

Clermont revealed that the Lions have released a third veteran leader in the wake of a disappointing season. Speculation is focusing on defensive tackle Tyrone Williams. However, Williams, 36, was not available for comment Friday when contacted by The Vancouver Sun.
Rammer
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:It's sounding more and more like Tyrone Williams has also been released:

From Mike Beamish:

Clermont revealed that the Lions have released a third veteran leader in the wake of a disappointing season. Speculation is focusing on defensive tackle Tyrone Williams. However, Williams, 36, was not available for comment Friday when contacted by The Vancouver Sun.
If it comes to that, our dominating DL of 08 is in huge trouble for 09. BJ isn't at the level he has been since his new contract was signed and Aaron Hunt fed off of Cameron Wakes leftovers. Without Williams, Shivers has some major holes to fill.

Other possibilities of vets would be Murphy, Jiménez (although both aren't really the Lions property until they are re-signed), and perhaps Banks. I would like to see Williams at least given the opportunity to compete for his job at TC.
Entertainment value = an all time low
pennw
Legend

SammyGreene wrote:It's sounding more and more like Tyrone Williams has also been released:

From Mike Beamish:

Roberts plus Clermont and then Floyd makes three already . Williams would make that a fourth .
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:

From Mike Beamish:

If it comes to that, our dominating DL of 08 is in huge trouble for 09. BJ isn't at the level he has been since his new contract was signed and Aaron Hunt fed off of Cameron Wakes leftovers. Without Williams, Shivers has some major holes to fill. \I would like to see Williams at least given the opportunity to compete for his job at TC.
I agree Rammer. I think Williams is similar to Miles in that they shouldn't be compared to the prime of their careers (that bar is awfully high for both of them) but rather their potential replacements. Williams has been an anchor for so long in the middle of the d-line and I thought played his best football of the season in the 2 playoff games. He brings tremendous leadership and was the captain of the defence.

Another scary thought is the current Canadian depth at receiver after Paris Jackson. Right now reclamation project O'Neil Wilson is a lock to make the team as a 5th receiver and god help the Lions if Jackson goes down for a significant period of time in ’09. Having nothing to show for the Nicolson pick in ’07 is glaring right now and taking a receiver in the 1st round is a near must for the ’09 draft.

And PennW I think Clermont said three veteran leaders being released and I don't think Roberts falls in the leadership category with this team.