Wally turns up the heat on his secondary

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The secondary has been a disappointment this year. Cover your guy and tackle him if he catches the ball. An interception is a bonus.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I expect to see a much sharper game by the secondary this week. Other position groups have picked up their game after being called out by the coach or by their teammates. I can't see the secondary playing another soft game. Michael Bishop needs to hit the long bomb for the Riders to move the ball through the air. If the Lions take that away, the Riders will struggle.
kidder
Rookie

Does'nt seem that long ago that I almost looked foreward to the other team getting the ball, just to see how our guy's would handle them, and I was rarely dissapointed. This year, the family can't come near me till the credits roll ............ the DB'S are giving me fit's.
From the factory that made the machines ................
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

I do agree that our DBs have had an off-year and I'm glad that Wally recognizes it. That said, the talent is still there for our group to be the best in the league, they just need to step their game up to the level of our front four and our D will dominate again like we're used to seeing.
David
Team Captain

Larry Key wrote:All 4 have been victimized this season with Miles probably having been the most steady (positive play I mean) back there.
I don't agree with this. I believe Glover has been the most consistent this year, followed by Marsh.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
LFITQ
Team Captain

Wakesbetterthanyou wrote:
Larry Key wrote:About damn time Wally has reacted on this issue as Banks has been dreadful this season. Do these guys have bonuses for picks in their contracts?? They seem to play like they do. Arrogance and cockiness will come back to bite the secondary. All 4 have been victimized this season with Miles probably having been the most steady (positive play I mean) back there. With the amount of pressures the front 4 has been creating in recent games, there are no excuses for the DB's to be giving those big play bombs. :x
While i agree that banks has been pretty bad this year, not all of the blame can centre on him and i think it unfair that phillips was not called out as well. Ryan has had an off year, one huge play was that pi that he got called on and then the subsequent penalty for lipping of the officials (in the montreal game, in montreal). Tho that PI on banks vs sask was pretty bad, tho the reciever wasnt even in position to catch the ball. i thought it was a bad play by banks and a bad call by the official.
Gotta understand how Wally will work. First time he sees an issue with a player he will talk to the coordinator to get it fixed. Next time will be with the player privately. The third time he makes mention of it in the media to put the player on serious notice he is in serious jeopardy. 4th time Wally talks about it, will be about the release/replacement of the player.

You can bet that Phillips is somewhere in the first 2 levels.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
LFITQ
Team Captain

David wrote:
Larry Key wrote:All 4 have been victimized this season with Miles probably having been the most steady (positive play I mean) back there.
I don't agree with this. I believe Glover has been the most consistent this year, followed by Marsh.

DH 8)
I'm with David on this front.

To heap praise as well however, Crawford has been pleasantly surprising and in that B. Miles can take pride as his mentor.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Bosco
Team Captain

This morning on TEAM 1040, when asked to comment on his remarks about Banks - Wally candidly replied: "sometimes the truth hurts".

Oh oh!
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Notice that Buttercup is not here calling out Wally for dissing his DB.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
smphantom
Legend

Korey Banks will soon be leaving "Lockdown U" for "Letgo U", if he continues playing the way he has this season :wink:
Stay thirsty my friends.
Power-O-O-O-O
Starter

Bosco wrote:This morning on TEAM 1040, when asked to comment on his remarks about Banks - Wally candidly replied: "sometimes the truth hurts".

Oh oh!
Well hopefully that is enough motivation to get them focussed. There were too many openings in our secondary in the 4th quarter last week - that must change on Saturday night in Regina.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

IMHO, the incentives/bonuses that are almost standard in player contracts are the root cause of this problem.

When Banks came over from Ottawa, he was a league all-star leading in INTs........and most believe it was because of his freelancing style where he left his assignment to make big plays.......but was also burnt on occasion because his guy wasn't covered.

With allstar voting being influenced almost entirely by recorded statistics, players know what they need to do to cash in. INT's and allstar selections earn you more cash.....giving up big plays because you're not where you're supposed to be......that has zero effect as it's not a recorded statistic.
Lloyd
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:Notice that Buttercup is not here calling out Wally for dissing his DB.
He's had his 15 minutes
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote:Notice that Buttercup is not here calling out Wally for dissing his DB.
He's had his 15 minutes
I know. That's the thing I've been saying about Buttercup. Hey Buttercup, if you're out there.....

Why do you build me up (build me up) Buttercup baby just to let me down (let me down) and mess me around and then worst of all (worst of all) you never call baby when you say you will (say you will).

Flirt!
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I watched 'the Golden Grill---(Banks) interviewed on Connected and he seems a little miffed :x at the comments made but acts like he doesn't care. I'm hoping this will translate into a strong finish of games for #24.