LIONS DEFENCE? THE OFFENCE WAS A NO SHOW

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

lucky leo
Rookie

I say this once. The lions will not succeed with Doriazio as Offense Co-ordinator. Poor playcalling, poor gameplan...it is second and 7 yards to go...they run a route that is 5 yards how stupid...they didnt even try to to strech the calgary Defence... Oh ya the offensive line what a poor job...Dean Valli played like a girl...to afraid to hit someone and lots of missed assignments...We wont survive because our QB's will all be injured....And at receiver why is it every other team can find good receives but BC...Rogers does not run good routes and coleman...dont think so...Get ready fans this will be a long season prediction lions go-6-12 out of the playoffs...LOCKDOWN U where were ya?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lions won 14 games last season with Dorazio as offensive coordinator. I know it's frustrating watching the Lions self destruct tonight but it's only the first game. They'll be better next week against Saskatchewan.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

lucky leo wrote:I say this once. The lions will not succeed with Doriazio as Offense Co-ordinator. Poor playcalling, poor gameplan...it is second and 7 yards to go...they run a route that is 5 yards how stupid...they didnt even try to to strech the calgary Defence... Oh ya the offensive line what a poor job...Dean Valli played like a girl...to afraid to hit someone and lots of missed assignments...We wont survive because our QB's will all be injured....And at receiver why is it every other team can find good receives but BC...Rogers does not run good routes and coleman...dont think so...Get ready fans this will be a long season prediction lions go-6-12 out of the playoffs...LOCKDOWN U where were ya?
Dorazio wasn't calling the plays. I think JChap is calling them from the booth upstairs.

Some of the vanilla running might be his lack of imagination or interest in the run (JC) as well as a lot of the crossing patterns that the Stamps used to beat up Clermont on.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

lucky leo wrote:I say this once. The lions will not succeed with Doriazio as Offense Co-ordinator. Poor playcalling, poor gameplan...it is second and 7 yards to go...they run a route that is 5 yards how stupid...they didnt even try to to strech the calgary Defence... Oh ya the offensive line what a poor job...Dean Valli played like a girl...to afraid to hit someone and lots of missed assignments...We wont survive because our QB's will all be injured....And at receiver why is it every other team can find good receives but BC...Rogers does not run good routes and coleman...dont think so...Get ready fans this will be a long season prediction lions go-6-12 out of the playoffs...LOCKDOWN U where were ya?

A bit extreme based on one game!

There are a couple of points that I would like to touch on here.

1. Everybody has been assuming that Calgary would have a weak defense based on two things. The fact that they were horrible on D last year and that this year, because they have revamped, it will mean lots of mistakes on their part.

Clearly those assumptions were in error Thursday night. This was the only time that a team was going to face the Stamps D without the benefit of some previous game film. That was bound to hurt but no one expected the results they produced.
Add to that that Burris would probably have beaten "most" teams that night sure didn't make for fun viewing but it is hardly substantial enough to start predicting doom and gloom yet.

2. Most parts of the Lions looked rusty. I attribute this in part to quality of the weather at training camp this year. Reps is a big part of getting ready to play and this year, much of that effort was hampered by bad weather. I think any team might find it hard to get a little more polish on their game when they are only running things at half speed due to wet fields or cancelling practises altogether.
During the game Losing Rasouli to injury didn't help our Oline and neither did Murphy missing training camp. The worst part about the latter is that is was completely without purpose as his wife is still expecting. We may well loose him for the next game or the one after that so I don't expect him be getting up to pace until at least 3 or 4 weeks into the season.

So should we be concerned, of course. Every year there is a team that threatens and this will be Calgary this season. They have the tools on O, the D we'll see. After loosing some starters for who knows how long, they may be much more mortal the next outing. We may be a little more ready and at home too. The Riders will provide a good test. Wait and see a little more before going off and predicting doom and gloom.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Blitz
Team Captain

Last year Dorazio was the co-offensive coordinator with Steve Kruk. Both created the offensive game plan but it was Kruk who called the plays while Dorazio provided down and distance.

This year Dorazio is the offensive coordinator (at least in name) but it's Chapdelaine sending the plays down from the press box. So if you didn't like the play calling don't blame Dorazio....because he didn't call a single play!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:This year Dorazio is the offensive coordinator (at least in name) but it's Chapdelaine sending the plays down from the press box. So if you didn't like the play calling don't blame Dorazio....because he didn't call a single play!
Who is Chapdelaine sending the play to ? And doesn't the guy who Chap send it to have any input ?
Blitz
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
Blitz wrote:This year Dorazio is the offensive coordinator (at least in name) but it's Chapdelaine sending the plays down from the press box. So if you didn't like the play calling don't blame Dorazio....because he didn't call a single play!
Who is Chapdelaine sending the play to ? And doesn't the guy who Chap send it to have any input ?
Chap is sending them down to the sideline to Kruck. Dorazio looks after down and distance. Kruck would only call a play if Chapdelaine, for some reason didn't send one down. Kruck's job is to signal them in. Having Chapdelaine up in the booth not only provides him with better vision but it also helps with 'optics' because if Chap was down on the sideline calling in the plays it would appear that Chapdelaine was the offensive coordinator.

The question that I ask...is who really is the offensive coordintor. This is the same arrangement as in 2004, when Burratto was the offensive coordinator and Chap was calling the plays down from the booth upstairs. Burratto didn't always follow Chap's play calls and that caused friction. For the last third of the 2004 season Burratto was banished to go upstairs to spot while Chap came down to the sidelines to call all the plays.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)