Riders Trade Fred Perry to the Smoe's

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:I have zero problems with the resultl of this transaction, it weakens our biggest opponent. Going to the Esks doesn't mean that he will be playing at the same level at any rate, no problems there, and if he does play at 07 abilities, the Esks are still about 4 starting NI's away from contending in the West finals.
True that.

More of the Riders' foundation crumbling, bit by bit. If Kerry Joseph leaves, which I think is unlikely, the fans in Regina will be wondering if they just imagined the Grey Cup run of 2007. Did it really happen? Or were they just dreaming, wishing and hoping for a better fate?

And I agree, I don't think it makes the Eskimos that much improved, not as long as the Ferocious Chipmunk is running things in the Oil Patch.
joesports
All Star

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Reider wrote:This issue can be debatable until the cows come home
True
Tillman didn't pour water on the fire so to speak, the fire would still be burning and wide spread.
Also true

It's funny that people always point to Tillman for simply stating the facts aka his reasoning behind the trade, but never consider the fact that Fred Perry's own actions are the means to those facts

And so that gives Tillman the right to pass personal information out? I don't think so. Put yourself in that position. How would you feel if an ex-employer started passing out personal details on your financial affairs? It may be 100% accurate but it still doesn't make it right.

Lots of non-rider fans are misinformed.

No I don't think we are. I don't think people misunderstand his motives. We all pretty much understand the microscope that the Riders are subject to by their fans. I'm sure the pressure to respond to something like this can be enormous but perhaps he should have spent some more time trying to find a deal that wasn't so prone to objection. Perhaps he should have told the media that there were a number of personal issues that helped the deal make sense and let the fans deal with it. Perhaps he could have told the fans that the reason's were none of their damned business and have withstood the pressure to respond. All things die down eventually as this would have. Unfortunately, rather than take the higher road, he opened his mouth about matters which were inappropriate for him to do so. It is a complete swing in the opposite direction to the Trevis Smith incident where the cone of silence seemed to be in purrfect working order. (yes I know that was a different regime)

Eric's main motivation behind releasing the facts is basically to tell his side of the story aka to be accountable for his actions since this trade looked very lopsided on paper and the fans were raging.
Yep they were raging and you know what, too bad. There are somethings that they just don't have a right to know about. This was about Tilliman trying not to look like he made a bad deal. Justifying his actions as it were by pointing to the actions of another. He gets paid to make decisions and to bear the consequences of the decisions he makes. I'm sure he knew that the fat was gonna hit the flame when he made this deal, but rather than be ready for it, he played coy for 24 hours and then reacted by violating the privacy a player who had worked very hard for the Riders. Not classy and not a good way to set an example for the rest of your team.
:whs: I don't even know exactly what Tillman said, but in the article on CFL.CA he was quoted as saying Perry was repeatedly looking for more cash bonuses for "personal reasons". Even that is saying too much about the situation. :thdn: Couldn't he just have let it look like a cap casualty? Good grief.
Reider
Starter

Solar Max wrote:Not really. Just not a Rider site.
Yeah I guess I should have expected some southern hospitality after what the Riders did to your Lions in the playoffs. It's all good.. If ET was a Lion (and 07GC champs) and this similar situation occurred, something tells me that Lions fans would not be quite so hard on him... :football: :beauty:
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Reider wrote:
Yeah I guess I should have expected some southern hospitality after what the Riders did to your Lions in the playoffs. It's all good.. If ET was a Lion (and 07GC champs) and this similar situation occurred, something tells me that Lions fans would not be quite so hard on him... :football: :beauty:

Yah know what I love about posts like this one?

This offseason a lot of this 'the Lions Sky is Falling' attitude has ended up with the finger pointers having a nice large helping of steaming hot crow to chew on. We're NOT even the champs but every other team still looking to us to slip up. HMMM, guess those Lions must be one damn fine organization 8)
Rammer
Team Captain

Reider wrote:
The facts regardless of the window dressing are....

Jyles wasn't going to be an Eskimo, so no matter what the circumstances, I don't really consider this very much of a trade. If there wasn't anything better in the works with another team for Perry, he must have burned a ton of bridges with his financial circumstances in order for Tillman to basically cut him loose.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Reider
Starter

Rammer wrote:
Reider wrote:
The facts regardless of the window dressing are....

Jyles wasn't going to be an Eskimo, so no matter what the circumstances, I don't really consider this very much of a trade. If there wasn't anything better in the works with another team for Perry, he must have burned a ton of bridges with his financial circumstances in order for Tillman to basically cut him loose.
For sure..
Reider
Starter

notahomer wrote:
Reider wrote:

Yah know what I love about posts like this one?

This offseason a lot of this 'the Lions Sky is Falling' attitude has ended up with the finger pointers having a nice large helping of steaming hot crow to chew on. We're NOT even the champs but every other team still looking to us to slip up. HMMM, guess those Lions must be one damn fine organization 8)
The Lions are and have been a solid organization for a while now....
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Reider wrote:
Sorry, Southern Hospitality? For a rival?

As for ET, he bailed out of BC in early 1995 after fluking out a GC win as the GM here, riding on Ritchie's coattails. His thank you to the team and the fans was to bolt. Sound familiar? It should.

ET called Wally a liar last year and the Lions organization "a disgrace". He then backpeddaled on team1040 trying to salvage some sort of face. Eric says whatever Eric figures the public around him at that moment wants to hear. Then he does damage control later. This is nothing new, it's just that he seems to yap more in Regina than he has anywhere else.

As for the Playoffs, how soon you forget, 2004, 2005 and 2006. How'd they work out in Regina? And of course, congrats once more on 2007, of course, although there were few 'Rider fans that came here last year to say good on BC after the 2006 win.

As much people talk about Roy Shivers, at least he knew when to keep the laundry indoors.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Reider wrote:
You mean like Rider fans are doing right now. Truth is Reider, you are correct about this. Many people will give greater latitude when it is their team, their player. I expect that to a degree as just being human. I also have seen and read enough of your posts both here and other places to know that you are generally fair minded and honest. I have sensed in your posts on this subject that even you are not entirely comfortable with Tillman's actions in regards to making public statements about Perry's financial s. Is that a fair statement? Nobody questions Eric Tillmans right to make whatever trades he chooses for whatever reason. That's why he is in the GM's office and the rest of us aren't. But with bigger jobs come bigger responsibilities, one of them knowing when something is fit for public domain and when it isn't. Many think that on this occasion, he got that mixed up. Those who feel like I do about this have no particular affinity for Fred Perry, after all, he was the one who cost us our number 1 QB for most of last season. But that was on the field this wasn't. I would expect everyone would receive basic courtesy regardless of the type of job from a former employer. That would include keeping aspects of a players private life private. You have made the point that Eric Tillman worked hard to make sure this deal was a positive one for FP. Ask yourself if his subsequent statements to the media were a benefit or detriment to FP. Loyalty is a two way street. Whatever he may have been off the field, he was a good player for the Riders on. He deserved some discretion from his former boss and failed to receive it. Others have noticed and without doubt that includes some players on the Riders. I wonder if any of them think that the next time, it could be one of them.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Reider
Starter

Solar Max wrote: Sorry, Southern Hospitality? For a rival?
?
As for ET, he bailed out of BC in early 1995 after fluking out a GC win as the GM here, riding on Ritchie's coattails. His thank you to the team and the fans was to bolt. Sound familiar? It should.
Calm down Lawrence, you're going to have a heart attack. Why do you ask me if it sounds familiar? He hasn't bolted..
Although, it does seem like he doesn't like to stay in any one place too long...
ET called Wally a liar last year and the Lions organization "a disgrace". He then backpeddaled on team1040 trying to salvage some sort of face. Eric says whatever Eric figures the public around him at that moment wants to hear. Then he does damage control later. This is nothing new, it's just that he seems to yap more in Regina than he has anywhere else.
What did Eric call Wally a liar about? I don't really care either way... Like I said, they're friends, they're good, it obviously wasn't a big deal... it's just business to them.. and they're big enough to separate business from their private lives.
As for the Playoffs, how soon you forget, 2004, 2005 and 2006. How'd they work out in Regina? And of course, congrats once more on 2007, of course, although there were few 'Rider fans that came here last year to say good on BC after the 2006 win.
I didn't forget and I have probably given props when it was due every one of them years. I'm not sure where you're going with this? I have always recognized the Lions as a strong team over the last few years... you're looking for an argument where it does not exist.
As much people talk about Roy Shivers, at least he knew when to keep the laundry indoors.
Roy and Eric are very different in their styles that's for sure...
Reider
Starter

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Reider wrote: You mean like Rider fans are doing right now. Truth is Reider, you are correct about this. Many people will give greater latitude when it is their team, their player. I expect that to a degree as just being human. I also have seen and read enough of your posts both here and other places to know that you are generally fair minded and honest.
Thanks.. I am not afraid to take off the green shades and tell it like it is sometimes. But I do agree, sometimes it's in our nature to allow more flexibility when it comes to the team you cheer for.
I have sensed in your posts on this subject that even you are not entirely comfortable with Tillman's actions in regards to making public statements about Perry's financial s. Is that a fair statement?
When it truly comes down to it... I'm on the ropes. On one hand, it was great that Eric was able to put out the fires, but on the other hand, Fred Perry could probably go without his personal life being broadcast to fans across the country. Like I've said before and elsewhere, it is what it is.. I'm not going to hold grudges or pull any punches against either party. They're both human and make mistakes like everyone else.
Nobody questions Eric Tillmans right to make whatever trades he chooses for whatever reason. That's why he is in the GM's office and the rest of us aren't. But with bigger jobs come bigger responsibilities, one of them knowing when something is fit for public domain and when it isn't. Many think that on this occasion, he got that mixed up. Those who feel like I do about this have no particular affinity for Fred Perry, after all, he was the one who cost us our number 1 QB for most of last season. But that was on the field this wasn't. I would expect everyone would receive basic courtesy regardless of the type of job from a former employer. That would include keeping aspects of a players private life private. You have made the point that Eric Tillman worked hard to make sure this deal was a positive one for FP. Ask yourself if his subsequent statements to the media were a benefit or detriment to FP.
There's no doubt about it that in many eyes, learning about Fred's situation in the media would lower their respect for him, thus lowerng his reputation. So absolutely it would be a detriment. (I'm not going to judge Fred though over some debt issues, he's still the man in my eyes.)
Loyalty is a two way street. Whatever he may have been off the field, he was a good player for the Riders on. He deserved some discretion from his former boss and failed to receive it. Others have noticed and without doubt that includes some players on the Riders. I wonder if any of them think that the next time, it could be one of them.
Too true!
MacNews
Team Captain

Tillman is a smart guy when it comes to football, but with the media he is surprisingly open for a GM. I guess now we know why others keep their mouths shut.
Big Time
Champion

I think the problem with Tillman is that he's never met a microphone he didn't like. The guy is like a more friendly version of Brian Burke in that half of the time he's just talking to hear his own voice. Most of what comes out of Tillman's mouth is hot air anyway. When times are good, which they are now for Tillman, he's going to get more or less a free pass but if times go bad (and let's face it, with the Riders, it's only a question of when) his shtick is going to get old real fast. I have no idea why he felt the need to go into details about Perry's situation. He could have simply said that there were chemistry issues and left it at that. Kind of like how he constantly went on about how the Riders never used injuries as an excuse all throughout last year yet injuries are the excuse he's using for going over the salary cap. Sooner or later his comments are going to come back and bite that franchise on its ass. ET will have no one to blame but himself.
DerekDD
Starter

Big Time wrote: When times are good, which they are now for Tillman, he's going to get more or less a free pass but if times go bad (and let's face it, with the Riders, it's only a question of when) his shtick is going to get old real fast.
Whats that crap supposed to mean? As if in BC, times have always been good. Before Ackles/Buono, the Lions were terrible.
moby

Jyles is a "pretty good QB."

If he gets his chance, and with a supporting cast around him, he will do just fine.

Good move for him. Much better chance to see the field, and tutors to boot.