BC Lions with the Most Games Played

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

Being the history buff that I am, I've compiled a list of BC Lions who have played the most number of games for the team, starting with a minimum of 115 games. I've noticed that while there is often a correlation between the number of games the player played and the level of fame and recognition that he receives, there are still several exceptions. On my list below, most of these long-serving players have been inducted on the BC Place Wall of Fame and I'm sure those who retired in the last 20 years like Mantyka, Sinclair, Konar, and Millington will eventually get their praise and recognition in due time.

However, there are also those players who have been retired for a long time and they remain virtually unknown and forgotten. In the list below, I've never heard anything about Greg Findlay, Terry Bailey, Glenn Leonhard, Gary Robinson, Joe Fourqurean, and Trevor Ekdahl. :?

Source:
http://www.bclions.com/index.php?module=page&id=3057

Lui Passaglia - 408 *
Jamie Taras - 264 *
Al Wilson - 233 *
Norm Fieldgate - 223 *
Cory Mantyka - 202
Jim Young - 197 *
Glen Jackson - 192 *
Ian Sinclair - 180
Greg Findlay - 178
John Blain - 174 *
Kevin Konar - 162
Sonny Homer - 162 *
By Bailey - 158 *
Sean Millington - 150
Terry Bailey - 144
Glenn Leonhard - 143
Rick Klassen - 142
John Henry White - 138 *
Tom Hinton - 136 *
Gary Robinson - 135
Ken Sugarman - 133 *
Larry Crawford - 130 *
John Pankratz - 130
Jim Mills - 129 *
Bret Anderson - 125
Roy Dewalt - 125 *
Willie Flemming - 124 *
Neal Beaumont - 123 *
Gerald Roper - 122
Joe Fourqurean - 122
Damon Allen - 120
Mike Cacic - 117 *
Nelson Martin - 116
Trevor Ekdahl - 115

* Inducted on the BC Place Wall of Fame and/or Ring of Honour
pinkfreud

That's interesting Robbie. Lui definitely has everyone else beat - 408 games...wow! Could have watched him play 408 more.

I'll never forget the game when they had the farewell for Al Wilson. Here was this big tough lineman riding around in a convertible with tears streaming down his face while everyone in the crowd was on their feet balling with him. I still remember that moment everytime I hear "I Did It My Way" (which they played as he circled the stadium waving to everyone). I hope we'll have the same experience with some of the guys on the team right now one day. I guess that's naive, but I'm a hopeless sap.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Terry Bailey was a FB and a grad of SFU's football program back in the early 70s when every CFL telecast would have announcers saying SFU many times per game. I recall Hugh Campbell then coach of Whitworth saying that Terry Bailey and the TB Glen Colwell were the best two-back combo in small college football. Until this year, Terry has been the assistant at SFU. Not sure where he is now. IIRC his uncle is By Bailey, former Lion great.

Gary Robinson was a DL from SFU. A very hard nosed tough player who gave his all.

Trevor Ekdahl another local guy. Top player and tough, hard nosed as they come.

The Vancouver Sun's Greg Douglas reported this in his Saturday column in Sept 2005 - I posted this at bclions.com:

"Former BC Lions players Gary Robinson and Dave Golinsky made arrangements to have alumni teammate Trevor Ekdahl comfortable enough to watch the Leos last two games from a special location at BC Place. Trevor succumbed to cancer Wednesday morning after a courageous four-year struggle. He was 63."

He played 115 games in a BC uniform and before coming to the Lions from the Utah State where in 1966 one of his teammates was Roy Shivers and another one of the Forzani brothers, Joe.

http://digital.lib.usu.edu/cgi-bin/view ... SOVIEWTMP=

A graduate also of the Vancouver Meralomas in the Junior Big Four, he still holds a tied record for the most blocked kicks (2) in a game vs the Vancouver Blue Bombers in 1963. Born in Weyburn Sask, he played at Mount Royal College also.

In his rookie year in 1967, he was joined by Jim Young and Ted Gerela (kicker) - other players who had lengthy BC careers during an era that was not always getting a lot of victories. In 1971, the Lions history notes that 53 different players wore Lions uniforms that year including later movie guy, Carl Weathers. In 1972, his new teammates included LB Ray Nettles, Rocky Long, Johnny Musso and Al Wilson who went on to a long and successful career with his name on the wall of fame.

The Province Obituary Notice:
Ekdahl- Trevor, born in Weyburn, SK, passed away peacefully Sept 7, 2005, age 63. Trevor's children Ken and Janika, mother Virginia, and sister Bev thank friends, family, the BC Lions Alumni Association and staff at the Broadway Lodge for their support, love and care. No service or flowers by request. There will be a gathering at a later date.

Joe Fourquean was a very solid and capable DB that provided Lions fans a lot of enjoyment.

Greg Findlay was a Vancouver College grad in that era when many went to fame in the CFL much like SFU from the late 60s and through the 70s. These two schools were football factories with the Vancouver College grads before SFU opened in 1965 heading south to college and university depending on grades.

That was a great list and the length of time of players on BC reflects some very high quality people and athletes. I hope others can fill in a bit more details. I have to run off.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheZeppo
Starter

Robbie wrote:
However, there are also those players who have been retired for a long time and they remain virtually unknown and forgotten. In the list below, I've never heard anything about Greg Findlay, Terry Bailey, Glenn Leonhard, Gary Robinson, Joe Fourqurean, and Trevor Ekdahl. :?
Not forgotten by everyone!
Greg Findlay was a dominating defensive end for the Lions in the
60's and early 70's. Interestingly enough, his son, Brooks, was with B.C. for one season in the late '90's.

Bailey was a handy fullback/slotback in the '70's.

Leonhard was a long serving offensive lineman with the Lions in
the '70's and 80's.

Ekdahl played on the offensive line in the '60's. I think he played at
one guard, and Sugarman was the other, for several years.

Robinson was a defensive end for the Lions in the '70's. His name
has come up a few times on this board because he teaches high school in the lower mainland nowadays.

Fourquean played defensive halfback for several seasons in the '70's.
He is well known by Lions' fans because of his great play in the 1977
Western semi-final.

All of these players, except for Fourquean, are Canadians, which partially explains their longevity with the team.
Rammer
Team Captain

Fourquean's knockdown of a sure TD was spectacular and lucky for him it was caught on tape, because he doesn't remember it. :beer:
Entertainment value = an all time low
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Wow, thanks for all the info, Zeppo and TV. I see that at least four of the six that I mentioned are local boys. I noticed that even though they are local, there doesn't seem to be any bias for them in giving them higher priority to be inducted on the wall of fame.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

A search on the internet revealed several articles such as this one:

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news ... fac&k=8822

which says that Terry Bailey was appointed interim head coach of the SFU Clansmen in February of this year after Chris Beaton was fired.

[img]http://a123.g.akamai.net/f/123/12465/1d ... -67864.jpg[/img]
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Great Thread Folks. I remember lots of the names but as I was but a wee lad in the 70's, I didn't really know all the positions etc. But reading the names and descriptions has brought back a lot of thoughts about youth and hope and pure delight. Thanks for the journey.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
nelson95
Legend

Bailey got canned by SFU. Young as well
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Great list, Robbie. I'm happy to say I've seen all of them play, and they are all worthy of induction on the Wall of Fame. I'm sorry that such recognition didn't come soon enough for Ekdahl.

It seems that Bret Anderson is the leader among current Lions in longevity. I hope he adds many more games to his total. :thup:
Robbie
Hall of Famer

In light of that recent thread about popular Lions quarterbacks, I decided to see whether there is any correlation between the number of games a certain quarterback played for the Lions and how popular they are. This is the list I came up with regards to the most number of games quarterbacks have played for the Lions. This list deals with full-time quarterbacks only and not multi-players who were backup quarterbacks like Caravatta. Dickenson is not on this list either because I wasn't able to come up with exactly how many games he has played as a Lion so far. Anyways, the top 13 Lions quarterbacks in terms of number of games played as a Lion are:

Roy Dewalt, 8 seasons, 125 games
Damon Allen, 7 seasons, 120 games
Joe Kapp, 6 seasons, 91 games
Joe Paopao, 7 seasons, 81 games
Don Moorhead, 5 seasons, 69 games
Pete Ohler, 6 seasons, 56 games
Paul Brothers, 4 seasons, 55 games
Danny McManus, 3 seasons, 53 games
Casey Printers, 3 seasons, 52 games
Earl Keeley, 5 seasons, 52 games
Tim Cowan, 4 seasons, 42 games
Rickey Foggie, 4 seasons, 41 games
Jerry Tagge, 3 seasons, 40 games

Looking at the results, there doesn't seem to be much correlation between how many games they've played and whether they are well-respected and honoured. There's no doubt that #1 Dewalt is respected and honoured, but Allen isn't nearly as respected for someone who is #2 on the list. Paopao and Kapp have been well honoured for being #3 and #4, whereas I'd say McManus and Printers will only be remembered as one-hit wonders and I'm not too optimistic about their chances of being honoured on the wall of fame someday.

What I'll say is that prior to composing this list, I have never, ever heard of #5 through #7, as well as #10:

Don Moorhead
Pete Ohler
Paul Brothers
Earl Keeley
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Robbie wrote:What I'll say is that prior to composing this list, I have never, ever heard of #5 through #7, as well as #10:

Don Moorhead
Pete Ohler
Paul Brothers
Earl Keeley
I had seasons tickets through the Paul Brothers-Don Moorhead era from 1968-75. Consider yourself lucky if you missed it.

Pete Ohler was a Vancouver College grad who was backup QB and field goal holder in the '60s. His TD pass to Jim Carphin in the 1964 Grey Cup was recently selected as the third greatest play in Lions' history.

I missed Keeley, who played in the late '50s and early '60s.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

My fondest memory of Greg Findlay was he smacked Winnipeg's Mack Herron on a sweep play. It was a hellious hit and Mack was seeing stars after that hit. Greg was also a student at Vancouver City College (as it was known then) while he was playing with the Lions. Following one particular game he was late for his 8:30 Sociology course. The instructor made a joke which brought the class down. After the laughter died down, Findlay finally got the gist of the joke and started laughing. This of course brought more laughter from the rest of the class. :wink:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

TheZeppo wrote:
Not forgotten by everyone!
Greg Findlay was a dominating defensive end for the Lions in the
60's and early 70's. Interestingly enough, his son, Brooks, was with B.C. for one season in the late '90's.
Findlay started his career as an outside linebacker but was converted to a lineman.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

There is now a Wikipedia page on BC Lions all time records and statistics:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B.C._Lions ... statistics