Monday Morning Joe

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

MexicoLionFan
Legend

Well, with the GC game over its now time for Wally Buono to begin the process of hiring our new staff. I can argue that there won't be a more important hiring in the BC Lions history than this one. The CFL game has changed...period! You saw it yesterday...two decent talents at QB looking like all stars...defences filled with answers/solutions to problems presented by the opposing offences...and Special Teams that can make things happen at the drop of a hat. What we all witnessed yesterday (besides an incredibly well played game) was GREAT COACHING! Austin guiding Condell, Steinhauer and Reinbold to take on the prohibitive favourites in CGY and they almost won...in fact, I can make the argument that they should have won...but CGY did win because of THEIR GREAT COACHING. Hufnagel patiently guiding Dickenson, Stubler and Mark Kilam...Dickenson knowing that Steinhauer had to commit to taking away Cornish, so he built a game plan to make Bo Levi Mitchell to look like an All Star...but I will guarantee you this, if Mitchell started for the BC Lions this season, he would have looked WORSE than Kevin Glenn. Condell and Austin made adjustments to what Stubler was doing defensively and began to make plays via the air...but when HAM got within scoring distance, Stubler mixed things up and made HAM look unorganized in the Red Zone...again, brilliant coaching!

And with one minute remaining in the game, Jeff Reinbold put together a picket fence to the wide side of the field and they returned the punt for a game winning TD...the only problem was a flag on the field for an illegal block...and that was a call that didn't have to be made...did #44 clip the CGY player, YES, but he gingerly shoved him in the back AFTER Banks had broken outside of this first wave of CGY defenders...that call didn't have to be made because it did NOT affect the outcome of the play. CGY rolled the dice in kicking to Banks and Reinbold made them pay...again, that's great coaching!

This is the new CFL...you look all around this great league and everywhere you look there are rock solid coaching staffs (although apparently SSK is going to blow up theirs) all the way to OTT where Rich Campbell knows what he is doing and that was the best 2-16 franchise football team ever...everywhere the light is bright in the CFL except in BC...we don't have a HC, we don't have a QB...but we do have a bunch of ASST Coaches that simply cannot compete with their competition even with an excellent group of talent. And as coaches like Chris Jones in EDM, Mike O'Shea in WPG and Rich Campbell in OTT get access to better talent, those teams are going to be even better...SSK is retooling because they don't take well to losing! A bit of a risk, but kudos to a franchise that just wants to win and knows that it starts with coaching!

Either Wally Buono ends for good his side business of patronage or the BC Lions will get steam rolled by destiny! The amount of smart, technically sound coaches, that excel in game tactics under the former guidance of Bill Walsh are growing daily and spreading out over North America. Marc Trestman has already left his legacy on this league. John Hufnagel has built the strongest franchise in CDN football and his OC is the most sought after Coach in the league! Dickenson should be a HC right now, and he might not get that chance in CGY for another few years...he should be our new HC RIGHT FREAKING NOW, he's not, and won't be because Wally Buono is our GM...as Blitz has laid out for us in detail, Wally has burned his bridges with MOST of his former stars, and non more so than DD.

OK, so we have lost on DD, but we MUST find the NEXT BEST THING...someone who can compete with the likes of Hufnagel, Jones, Dickenson, Stubler, etc...Orlando Steinhauer has almost impressed me, both as a player and as a coach...he's a smart guy, a real student of the game...he was a playing coach in the last few years of his career...he knows the game inside and out. Yesterday, Steinhauer showed that he has the ability to match wits with the best minds in football...IMO he's ready to be a very good HC, BUT not with Khari Jones as his OC, or Joe Paopao as his Receiver's coach, or Dan Dorazio as his OLine coach, or for that matter a babe in the woods with Mark Washington as his DC. Either Wally ALLOWS a guy like Orlando Steinhauer to have full control over his football product, or no matter who we hire, the debacle in BC will continue, and I for one don't want to see that!

We can EASILY have the same kind of turnaround next season as EDM had this year based on our existing talent, even without a QB...but Wally must hire the right guy and that guy must be given the POWER to change the culture and beliefs that have been built around this football team. We must become an aggressive, attacking team that forces the opposition to make changes on the fly...to punish opposing Offences. Not having the limited vision to turn Adam Bighill, Solomon Elimimian and Josh Johnson into Defensive Backs because it confuses their passing game...when you give them time to think and make changes, they will simply figure out another way to beat you...Mark Washington's D may have confused offences (for a while) but they didn't SCARE ANYONE! I want teams coming into Vancouver fearing for their personal safety (and not just on Robson St.) knowing that Sol and Biggie are going to smack you in the mouth on every down, just like Joe Kapp would! Until this mindset shifts, we are going to only fall deeper into our current role of league door mats!

So get to work Wally, only the future of this franchise rests on your decisions...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Great read, MLF.

Some of us fans believe that, of all the sports, it is in football that coaching makes the biggest difference. There are so many elements involved. So many varied skills. Such a need for great leadership.

Hufnagel fully deserves his second Grey Cup title. What a solid organization he has built. A pleasure to watch them play.

Same with Hamilton. Austin rubs some the wrong way. Even when he is gracious, one can see the fire burning inside. IMO he is a great coach. Hamilton will be a contender every year under his leadership. I expect he might end up back with an American college team, earning big bucks, but we can enjoy the play of his team while he is here.

Our Lions? It seems the cupboard is kind of bare. No Head Coach. No quarterback. Stuck in old ways. Playing it safe. We still have hope. The talent is out there. Plenty of talent available for every CFL team. We can compete on that level. The question for me, and some others, is if we will be able to compete as a coaching staff. This is a key time for our franchise. Wally went the "safe" route in promoting a young coach he knew as well as a son, Mike Benevides. I don't think playing it safe is going to cut it in this evolving CFL.

Just IMO ...

By the way, in retrospect, that really was a sensational game. Intense. Well coached on both sides.

Just another CFL barn burner. I thought there was no way the blocked player on the Banks return could have had a shot at him. The after burners were just kicking in. And I thought the flagged blocker only needed to wall out the defender from moving left. No need to push.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Rammer
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:Great read, MLF.

Some of us fans believe that, of all the sports, it is in football that coaching makes the biggest difference. There are so many elements involved. So many varied skills. Such a need for great leadership.

Hufnagel fully deserves his second Grey Cup title. What a solid organization he has built. A pleasure to watch them play.

Same with Hamilton. Austin rubs some the wrong way. Even when he is gracious, one can see the fire burning inside. IMO he is a great coach. Hamilton will be a contender every year under his leadership. I expect he might end up back with an American college team, earning big bucks, but we can enjoy the play of his team while he is here.

Our Lions? It seems the cupboard is kind of bare. No Head Coach. No quarterback. Stuck in old ways. Playing it safe. We still have hope. The talent is out there. Plenty of talent available for every CFL team. We can compete on that level. The question for me, and some others, is if we will be able to compete as a coaching staff. This is a key time for our franchise. Wally went the "safe" route in promoting a young coach he knew as well as a son, Mike Benevides. I don't think playing it safe is going to cut it in this evolving CFL.

Just IMO ...

By the way, in retrospect, that really was a sensational game. Intense. Well coached on both sides.

Just another CFL barn burner. I thought there was no way the blocked player on the Banks return could have had a shot at him. The after burners were just kicking in. And I thought the flagged blocker only needed to wall out the defender from moving left. No need to push.
#44 isn't going to enjoy the next few nights sleep, that was a lame penalty to take at that stage of the game, almost Lion like. Also, there was a hit out of bounds on a Hamilton return that was far more agrecious than the Phillips RP, yet wasn't called, that is reputation factored into the calling.
Entertainment value = an all time low
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Rammer wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:Great read, MLF.

Just IMO ...

#44 isn't going to enjoy the next few nights sleep, that was a lame penalty to take at that stage of the game, almost Lion like. Also, there was a hit out of bounds on a Hamilton return that was far more agrecious than the Phillips RP, yet wasn't called, that is reputation factored into the calling.

Yep, he needed to show patience there...the CGY defender had run himself past the returner anyways, so even if he could have got his helmet to the front, it wouldn't have made any difference!!! Its a good thing the team won't watch film together on that play...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I didn't think it was a well coached game. Yes, Dickenson had a great game plan in the first half and built up what turned out to be an insurmountable 17-0 lead by continuously attacking the wide side of the field through the air. Steinauer did nothing to counteract this, conceding first down after first down with soft coverage on the field side. The Ticats generated no pressure on Mitchell, allowing him five, six or seven seconds to find receivers coming open. Most of Mitchell's success came in the first half, when he went 14/17 for 220 yards. That's on Steinauer. The adjustments came too late.

In the second half, the tables turned somewhat and Collaros had some success exploiting Stubler's zone coverage, while the Ticats finally tightened up their coverage. Calgary generated just three points in the half, Mitchell turned the ball over with a bad pass into zone coverage, Collaros went 14/20 for 187 yards and the Ticats slowly clawed back into the game.

If not for a penalty flag on the final punt return by Banks, the postgame narrative would have been much different. It would have been about how Hufnagel's Stampeders blew another big game they should have won, how Stubler got too conservative on defence, letting the Ticats get back into the game, how Dickenson and Hufnagel ignored Calgary's vaunted running game and were unable to move the ball and eat up the clock when it mattered, and about how Calgary's special teams were unable to shut down Hamilton's main weapon. In short, the focus would have been all about bad coaching. One penalty flag changed the narrative but it didn't change my perspective.

From the stands, I didn't find it an exciting or intense game. I was cheering for the Ticats but I knew they were likely done in first half, and my main hope was that they would make enough plays to keep the game from becoming a blowout. When they tried to make a comeback in the fourth quarter, their CFL-worst red-zone offence let them down as it had all year. That's more bad coaching. Their only real hope of winning was to get a punt-return TD from Banks. It almost happened, but until that final minute there wasn't a lot for Hamilton fans to cheer about.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The next month is going to be crucial for season ticket renewals. A lot of fans are waiting to see what changes are forthcoming before deciding.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

B.C.FAN wrote:I didn't think it was a well coached game. Yes, Dickenson had a great game plan in the first half and built up what turned out to be an insurmountable 17-0 lead by continuously attacking the wide side of the field through the air. Steinauer did nothing to counteract this, conceding first down after first down with soft coverage on the field side. The Ticats generated no pressure on Mitchell, allowing him five, six or seven seconds to find receivers coming open. Most of Mitchell's success came in the first half, when he went 14/17 for 220 yards. That's on Stenauer. The adjustments came too late.

In the second half, the tables turned somewhat and Collaros had some success exploiting Stubler's zone coverage, while the Ticats finally tightened up their coverage. Calgary generated just three points in the half, Mitchell turned the ball over with a bad pass into zone coverage, Collaros went 14/20 for 187 yards and the Ticats slowly clawed back into the game.

If not for a penalty flag on the final punt return by Banks, the postgame narrative would have been much different. It would have been about how Hufnagel's Stampeders blew another big game they should have won, how Stubler got too conservative on defence, letting the Ticats get back into the game, how Dickenson and Hufnagel ignored Calgary's vaunted running game and were unable to move the ball and eat up the clock when it mattered, and about how Calgary's special teams were unable to shut down Hamilton's main weapon. In short, the focus would have been all about bad coaching. One penalty flag changed the narrative but it didn't change my perspective.

From the stands, I didn't find it an exciting or intense game. I was cheering for the Ticats but I knew they were likely done in first half, and my main hope was that they would make enough plays to keep the game from becoming a blowout. When they tried to make a comeback in the fourth quarter, their CFL-worst red-zone offence let them down as it had all year. That's more bad coaching. Their only real hope of winning was to get a punt-return TD from Banks. It almost happened, but until that final minute there wasn't a lot for Hamilton fans to cheer about.
Nice analysis. While I understood the Stamps pass only strategy in the first half I thought that they would go to Cornish in the second half and burn up the clock. I was going to leave early in the 4th quarter as I had a long drive to Sun Peaks after the game but I couldn't leave as the TiCats made it an interesting finish. An OK GC but not great.
dupsdell1
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:The next month is going to be crucial for season ticket renewals. A lot of fans are waiting to see what changes are forthcoming before deciding.

I agree in fact so many lions fans I talked to over the week are waiting to see what the lions do , I do not think you have to sell them on the game from what happened yesterday , but with the Lions they have to be careful over the off season what they do with who they hire, I can tell you right know David Braily is not selling the team this year, Wally is not going any were , and Skulsky will remain the President , the only changes will be the coach , his staff, a new quarterback and some players, hopefully that is enough to convince the fans this is going to be a lot more competitive.

Have a great off season every one.
South Pender
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:I didn't think it was a well coached game. Yes, Dickenson had a great game plan in the first half and built up what turned out to be an insurmountable 17-0 lead by continuously attacking the wide side of the field through the air. Steinauer did nothing to counteract this, conceding first down after first down with soft coverage on the field side. The Ticats generated no pressure on Mitchell, allowing him five, six or seven seconds to find receivers coming open. Most of Mitchell's success came in the first half, when he went 14/17 for 220 yards. That's on Stenauer. The adjustments came too late.

Yes, very nice analysis, B.C.FAN. Puts the variability, across teams, among CFL coaches in an interesting, and proper, perspective.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I kind of have to go with the flow on the game perspective as well. Calgary came out on fire and Hamilton didn't. The reverse seemed more true in the second half. Even Austin said that they didn't come out and make enough plays in the first half. There were some adjustments as the game went along and Hamilton did make a game of it but what really could have been a Victory with some polish in the red zone turned into a wide eyed hope for a miracle with a return for a TD. It didn't happen. As to the flag being thrown. It seems pretty unlikely that the 13th man made Montreal miss the FG in 2010. Should that penalty have not been called because it didn't affect the play? No, as sad as it was, it was a good call and who knows if the player who got pushed might not have been able to adjust and make a tackle before Banks took off. They had to make that call and it was the right one. The player who committed the foul is going to have live with that the rest of his days but penalties is a problem that the Cats have had all year. That is a coaching problem and pretty typical of Reinbold. Huff should have been able to win this game going away but came within a hairs breath of having yet another underwhelming result. Hamilton ended up sinking themselves with the same problems that they have had all season. That doesn't really say "great coaching" to me. I put Huff in the same category as Wally in terms of being Snake Bit in the playoffs. A decent GC but not overwhelming.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Different perspective by different people.

Not well coached? Game prep by Calgary allowing movement up and down the field in the first half. Play calling by Dickenson keeping Steinauer off balance. Assignments well rehearsed and executed. Mitchell calm and focused. Crisp offence against a struggling defence.
Steinauer's group shut down Cornish. The TiCats were well prepared for Cornish in the run game. Good lead as Calgary had often leads to a slowing of momentum. TiCats not giving up, getting the score closer. Condell starting to have some success against Stubler's bend don't break defence. Stubler mixing it up in the red zone. Steinauer's D coverage setting a trap for Mitchell.

Back and forth.

I saw a good coaching battle all game. And it got more intense towards the end.
Agreed about the narrative being different if ... And, as it happened, I saw top coaches in the CFL fighting it out. Having success. Adjustments. Getting stopped. In my view ...
Interesting perspective, BCF.

I thought a young TiCats team took a while to get going. And Calgary, as the best team all year, came out hitting on all cylinders.

Plenty intense in the second half. Most of the elements present that make the CFL what it is. So it seeemed to me.

Game prep? Very good on both sides. IMO ...

Play calling? Very good. Adjustments. Momentum swings.

Advantage Calgary O and D in the first half. Second half -- Advantage Hamilton O and D.

Maximum effort? Yes.

Personally I could not ask for much more in a title game. Outcome uncertain to the end.

I had mixed feelings throughout. Glad Hufnagel got his second Cup. Was rooting for Hamilton a bit going in. Disappointed in the Banks return called back. At that point a win for Hamilton would have been devastating for Hufnagel's group, and richly satisfying for Austin's group.

Very interesting game. Same event. Seen differently by different people. :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Dave Dickenson admitted he called a conservative game in the 2nd half. It wasn't so much Orlando Steinhauer's half time adjustments which stopped the Calgary offence.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Dave Dickenson admitted he called a conservative game in the 2nd half. ......
Well the result that coulda been due to that punt return is purrfect proof, IMO, that conservative doesn't help a team win. I realize the special teams play has little to do with Dickenson's offence game planning but, IMO, they should kept the pedal to the metal. Its all moot cuz the Stamps won ..................
DanoT wrote:......... I was going to leave early in the 4th quarter as I had a long drive to Sun Peaks ......
Have a great winter up at Sun Peaks! Was pretty cold for Vancouver for a Grey Cup but I bet it'll be considered quite balmy compared to Investors Group Field in 2015......
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

From Ed Willes ...

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Wille ... story.html
"We're a bend-but-don't-break team," said Stamps linebacker Juwan Simpson, another veteran of the '08 team. "Stubler (Rich, the defensive co-ordinator who's been in the CFL longer than the rouge) says, 'If they don't go over top of your head, they're not going to beat us.' They got one (a 45-yard TD strike to Brandon Banks in the first half) but we tightened up after that. I'm just at a loss for words and you'll never hear me say that again."
Yes. And Stubler won the battle at the goalline. Forcing field goals as Hamilton battled back.
It's also unfortunate a referee's call became the game's main talking point because, after a forgettable CFL season, this was a terrific showcase for the league. It started with Mitchell completing 22 of his first 25 passes for 309 yards, including 14 of 17 for 220 yards in the first half as the Stamps built a 17-0 lead. Collaros, who finished 25 of 33 for 342 yards, then took his turn in the spotlight and for a league that was offensively challenged this season, the emergence of two young quarterbacks in a marquee event is a positive development.
"this was a terrific showcase for the league"

Two great young quarterbacks putting on a show.

Mitchell ... 25 of 34 for 334.

Collaros ... 25 of 33 for 342.

Ballistic Bob
Legend

the correct call was made and Im sure a few of the horseman saw it and let up. Thnx BB
Wear orange or wear nothing