Grey Cup Post Game Thoughts!!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

It was a most intriguing Grey Cup game, and perhaps controversial as well, but history only remembers champions! Our B.C. Lions are the 2006 Grey Cup Champions and deserving champions as well. The Grey Cup victory capped off a very successful season and perhaps history will look at this team as our best ever! The victory today felt so good because this was a very together team that played for each other and the emotion in their eyes, after the victory, reflected how much it meant!

DEFENSE:

I started Post-Game Thoughts, as we celebrate this Grey Cup win, with our defense. It was our best unit all year and it was the main reason we won the 2006 Championship. We shut down Edwards in the first half, completely confused Cavillo, played their recievers tough, and had heat on Cavillo most of the game.

The big half time lead was due to our defense...who shut down Montreal for so many two and outs that our offence had great field position for most of the first half. They also caused a key turnover deep in Montreal's end of the field, when Hunt hit Cavillo and Glatt recovered the football. With one minute to go in the first half Montreal only had one first down...as we completely shut them down.

Montreal battled in the second half but they could never overcome our imposing defense. With receivers always under tight coverage, with our linebackers playing aggressively, and with our defensive line always penetrating, pursuing, and pressuring it was just too tough a defense for Montreal to overcome. Ritchie was the conductor, Johnson was the talented defensive end whose drive was always an example, Carl Kidd the heart and soul, Barrin Miles the brilliant tactician, Glatt the positive light, Otis Floyd the intense warrior, Korey Banks the bad boy who created the edge, Washington, the experienced leader! They were a treat to watch all season and they always came through!

SPECIAL TEAMS

Paul McCallum tied a Grey Cup record with six field goals and he was money all day. He punted extremely well all game as well, including a coffin corner punt that was perfectly executed. McCallum proved that any kicker can miss one but he was someone who could handle pressure. Buck Pierce held for McCallum all season and did a great job. Craiggs did a great job as our long snapper all season. Carl Kidd set the example as a veteran playing special teams coverage and the entire coverage unit played with inspiration all season.

OFFENCE

We moved the ball well in the first quarter, as Dickenson hit open recievers time and again as Montreal tried throwing the house at him, mostly blitzing defensive backs. Joe Smith and our slotbacks picked up the blitzing defensive backs and Dickenson had time to throw against Montreal's man coverage. However, we struggled to punch it in for touchdowns, having to settle for field goals. Dickenson was only touched twice in the first half, Pierce sacked once, as we built up a 19-3 lead. We had great field position in the first half but didn't take full advantage of it, including a first half turnover by our defense deep in Montreal territory.

However, in the second half our offence really struggled, only scoring a couple of field goals. Montreal stopped using its defensive backs to blitz and instead began to blitz it's linebackers inside. Dickenson dropped the ball off underneath but often the passes were short of first downs..the coverage tight... and he missed some passes.

The key to our victory offensively, was that we really outplayed Montreal in the running game battle. Both Joe Smith, who ran for over 100 yards again and Dickenson, who took off for some key first downs, enabling our offence to move the ball at key times.

This game will be looked at closely in the history books as the Leos used three quarterbacks during the first quarter, the first time in Grey Cup history. It was a planned strategy and overall a sound one. The Leos, by getting all three quarterbacks action early guaranteed they would be ready in case an injury happened later in the game. While Pierce was sacked on one drive, when we were moving the ball he also came into the game and made the big misdirection play to Smart for our only touchdown of the game.

Offensively we didn't play very well in the second half and it was not one of our better performances. Montreal also never folded it's tent and battled and they also deserve credit. We had a great game plan in the first half as we used every formation possible from double tights, single tight, pro-set, bunch formation, four receivers wide, inserted Smart into the game, etc. We ran a throwback screen, a swing screen to Simon, misdirections to Smith and Smart, a throwback hitch screen, a sprint draw etc. However in the second half we were too conservative in the passing game and almost allowed Montreal to get back into the game. Dickenson threw for less than 200 yards.

Cahoon was phenomenal in the second half, was really the Most Outstanding Player in this game, and was the one guy who gave Montreal a chance!! Great to see McCallum win Top Canadian!

CONTROVERSIAL CALLS

Montreal will walk away from this game with a lot of what if's. What if, in the first half Cavillo could have actually thrown an accurate pass or his recievers, outside of Cahoon, actually caught a football. The early whistle on Dickenson's fumble wiped out a Montreal touchdown. The Edwards 'fumble' down at the goalline was not a fumble and really sealed the loss for Montreal. Popp showed his inexperience by not challenging it...and that was what instant replay is for. His spotter got it wrong but Popp should have challenged anyway....he had little to lose at that time, except a timeout. Kidd and Glatt, however, made a great play, diving over the top to hit Edwards short of the goalline. Montreal also got a bad chop block call got 15 yards and loss of down that was a horrible call. Most of those bad calls were made by Ireland...I have no idea why he is chosen as the best referee. It's always nicer when you win a championship game cleaner but it was still the best team out there won the game!

WRAP

Watching Carl Kidd out there at the end of the game....the emotion written all over his face, represented what this season was all about...players digging down deep and giving everything they had, together as a team. Dickenson looked relieved and happy guy and finally a Grey Cup champion quarterback. However this Grey Cup victory was not a win that was carried on the backs of our stars like Simon, Dickenson, Murphy, Otis Floyd, Barrin Miles, Korey Banks or Brent Johnson..although they played their roles. This game was won as much by Angus Reid, Sherko Rasouli, Jason Jiminez, Joe Smith, Ian Smart, Chris Wilson, Carl Kidd, Ty Williams, Javy Glatt, Mark Washington, Lavar Glover, and Dante Marsh.

They were prepared to win or lose as a team today. They played everybody. Some may question that strategy but in the end, it was what made this team special and they put it on the line that way. It's a Grey Cup victory they all can share and it should be a Grey Cup victory that makes us feel great to be Leos fans...because this year we truly pulled for a team, in the truest meaning of the word.

A great season finishes with a Grey Cup Championship..you can't ask for more than that!!
Last edited by Blitz on Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
rb
Champion

Blitz wrote: Montreal also got a bad chop block call got 15 yards and loss of down that was a horrible call. Most of those bad calls were made by Ireland...I have no idea why he is chosen as the best referee. It's always nicer when you win a championship game cleaner but it was still the best team out there won the game!
That was one of the worst calls that I have ever seen. The other lineman wasn't within two yards of Hunt when he got cut! The fumbles are bang-bang but that was just a brutal call.

The Lions were the better team but not by a huge margin, and any breaks seemed to go their way.
Leo_on_Rideau
Champion

Well said as always, Blitz.
Blitz wrote:The Grey Cup victory capped off a very successful season and perhaps history will look at this team as our best ever!
Now I haven't followed the team as long as some of you, and am your prototype of the more casual fan, I suppose, but I do feel that this has got to be the case... Just knowing that no Lion team ever did better in the regular season than this one, and then you add in the rolling-over of Saskatchewan, and then finding a completely different way to win in the Grey Cup...

Surely this is the best Lion team ever?
rb
Champion

I would still vote for the '85 team but this one would be right there with them.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

rb wrote:
Blitz wrote: Montreal also got a bad chop block call got 15 yards and loss of down that was a horrible call. Most of those bad calls were made by Ireland...I have no idea why he is chosen as the best referee. It's always nicer when you win a championship game cleaner but it was still the best team out there won the game!
That was one of the worst calls that I have ever seen. The other lineman wasn't within two yards of Hunt when he got cut! The fumbles are bang-bang but that was just a brutal call.

The Lions were the better team but not by a huge margin, and any breaks seemed to go their way.
Yup. Nice summary Blitz. Why did these bad calls go our way? I don't know but as you said Blitz, I still think the better team won.
Blitz
Team Captain

I would still vote for the '85 team but this one would be right there with them.
They are always very hard to compare...the '64 Lions were a great team as was the '85 team. I believe this team had the best defense and the most depth of all our Grey Cup champions...comparing them to the eras in which they played!

They always say defense wins championships and that was certainly true today. I guess I liked this team so much because so many players played key roles and we had so many players contributing due to our depth. When a team wins and everyone contributes it just creates such a good feeling!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
hutch
Champion

Interesting stat that I don't think I've seen yet tonight......We won the Cup in 94, 00 and now 06. Can't wait to break that trend next year with another!
Blitz
Team Captain

hutch wrote:
Interesting stat that I don't think I've seen yet tonight......We won the Cup in 94, 00 and now 06. Can't wait to break that trend next year with another!
Me neither hutch and I think we can keep most of our defense together. There will be at least a couple of changes on offence but there is no reason we can't be playing in the Grey Cup again next season!

There will be time to think more about that in the off-season. I'm kicking back savoring this victory right now!! :rockin: :rockin: :rockin:
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Hey Blitz agree with most of what you said but why do you think the Edwards fumble on the goal line wasn't a fumble? According to the commentators, even the Alouette spotters up in the both thought it was a fumble which was why Popp didn't throw the challenge flag.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

Offence:
Dickenson looked good out there in what may have been his final game in a Lions or CFL uniform. He's 34 years old IIRC, and keeps getting injured, you have to wonder when he'll hang it up.

Smith was ok tonight but wasn't too existant.

Smart had that great TD run, and I'm real happy "One Touch" rocket wasn't on our team.

Simon was double and triple teamed alot tonight, but came up a couple times.

Clermont missed alot of opportunities, and was frustrated.

Jones had a couple (or at least one) great catch.

Thelwell wasn't turning properly tonight, I counted three times when he lost yardage after the catch.

Jackson was awesome in the first half, a little non-existant in the second, but was the key factor in the first IMO.

Pierce was doing well when he was called upon, so I'm not worried if DD doesn't come back.

The O-Line was spectacular, great seeing Bobby back when Sherko was out.

Our Offence was top notch tonight.

Defence:
D-Line was quieter than September 16th, but still were dominant. Johnson, Hunt, Glatt, Floyd, Miles and Washington were the standouts in my mind. And you cant forget Banks who had a sack and a FF IIRC.

Special Teams:
McCallum being 6-6 proved he is a veteran Kicker. Great job by PM!

GO LIONS GO!
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
Blitz
Team Captain

Hey Blitz agree with most of what you said but why do you think the Edwards fumble on the goal line wasn't a fumble? According to the commentators, even the Alouette spotters up in the both thought it was a fumble which was why Popp didn't throw the challenge flag.
Because his knee had touched the ground before the ball came loose and that was obvious on the replays!! I noted in the thread that Popp's spotter thought it was a fumble but he got it wrong. Have a look at the replay of the game Sir Percival and then have a look at the replay of Edwards being hit and you'll see it! However, Popp had a challenge and there was nothing to lose except a timeout....with that critical of a play down at the goalline with time running out and your team is behind you challenge!!
The O-Line was spectacular, great seeing Bobby back when Sherko was out.

Our Offence was top notch tonight.

Defence:
D-Line was quieter than September 16th, but still were dominant. Johnson, Hunt, Glatt, Floyd, Miles and Washington were the standouts in my mind. And you cant forget Banks who had a sack and a FF IIRC.
I didn't think our offence was top notch. We threw for only 187 yards and we struggled offensively in the second half with two field goals. However, we protected our quarterback and ran the ball effectively, with both Smith and Dickenson running for first downs at some key times!

I thought our defense was very impressive overall. They held Montreal to a field goal in the first half, shut them down to create a lot of two and outs in the first half, and getting us great field position. That played the key role in us getting off to a big half time lead and then held on!!

I thought Otis Floyd was really outstanding out there. In fact, if they had chosen Otis Floyd for MVP it would have been a good choice because he was also on the winning team but Cahoon was the most impressive player in the game. McCallum was also deserving of the Top Canadian as was Cahoon again.
MacNews
Team Captain

I was sick, feeling that it might all slip away, but it didn't!!!!! :beer:
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:Paul McCallum tied a Grey Cup record with six field goals and he was money all day. He punted extremely well all game as well, including a coffin corner punt that was perfectly executed. McCallum proved that any kicker can miss one but he was someone who could handle pressure.
You know, TECHNICALLY, McCallum was 7-for-7, if you count that one successful kick that was called back on the Montreal penalty...
Balraj
All Star

I thought the lions played well enough to win. Some question whether Dave should be the MVP of the game, and I think he should. Sure Cahoon deserves some credit since he was the only alouette to actually come out and play. But Dickenson is the one who kept drives alive, got those key first downs with his legs when he needed them, and found open recievers in a pretty good Montreal D. McCallum deserves the top Canadian, but will he complain, he left a team after so many years and what does he do, he wins a grey cup.
Balraj
All Star

Where was leo the lion tonight, I saw the Als mascot, but not leo. Another question is why the clock was continously stopping during the late stages of the game, when the Als were running the ball? I know in the NFL it continues to run until a player steps out of bounds, is an incomplete pass or there's a time out.