Training camp 2024

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Qman
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 2:18 pm
Hambone wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 2:05 pm
No Marcus Sayles on 1st unit?
I wonder if there's been a number change. I don't recall seeing 14 out there but I'll check tomorrow. I couldn't understand playing a raw rookie at HB.
No way sayles isn’t starting HB. One question is which side he plays until TJ lee is health in fall. Maybe they play Lee at safety when he returns given his age.

No way they play two Canadians in secondary.

Wonder if they have interest in edwards-cooper, instead of a rookie
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Qman wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 4:24 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 2:18 pm
Hambone wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 2:05 pm
No Marcus Sayles on 1st unit?
I wonder if there's been a number change. I don't recall seeing 14 out there but I'll check tomorrow. I couldn't understand playing a raw rookie at HB.
No way sayles isn’t starting HB. One question is which side he plays until TJ lee is health in fall. Maybe they play Lee at safety when he returns given his age.

No way they play two Canadians in secondary.

Wonder if they have interest in edwards-cooper, instead of a rookie
As my old pappy used to say "don't count your chickens before they hatch, they might turn out to be roosters".

Can't count on Lee for anything until his is healthy which could be anytime from Labour Day to not this year.

As for JEC I think he'd give the Riders right of first refusal so to speak. He's not capable if going to camp now. That it's been over 6 months since suffering the injury that in itself is throwing up red flags. One would think if it was a normal recovery he would have been good to go weeks ago. Some RF chatter has them thinking it's still long term. Doctors don't like to perform surgery if it can be avoided. That has me thinking he's been trying to go the therapy route but it's not getting the results. If he hasn't already surgery may still be necessary.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Pistrinus
Rookie

Will there pictures of the players posted here from training camp ?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Pistrinus wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 4:13 am
Will there pictures of the players posted here from training camp ?
The Lions have two photographers at camp. The best bet for photos is the team website and social media accounts, especially Instagram.
Qman
Champion

Hambone wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 9:18 am
The roster on the website lists 99. I estimate they still need to cut 2 more to get to 85. Possibly they have an injury or two that takes care of that.

Amongst the 99:
Injured & won't be in main camp - Hatcher, Hinsperger, Lee III

Non-counters - Una, Tieide, Beaulieu, Marchant, Ganyi, Ringland, Covington, Joseph, Meyer

That gets things down to 87.
Looks like a couple guys on suspension list .. which is usually passport issues.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Qman wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 7:16 am
Hambone wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 9:18 am
The roster on the website lists 99. I estimate they still need to cut 2 more to get to 85. Possibly they have an injury or two that takes care of that.

Amongst the 99:
Injured & won't be in main camp - Hatcher, Hinsperger, Lee III

Non-counters - Una, Tieide, Beaulieu, Marchant, Ganyi, Ringland, Covington, Joseph, Meyer

That gets things down to 87.
Looks like a couple guys on suspension list .. which is usually passport issues.
Maybe for Ursua and Crockett however Jake Harty also shows as being transferred to League Suspension List. Passport can't be an issue with him.

I see Broxton shows as being deleted and added which usually signifies his contract has been redone, perhaps including more term.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I’m told Jake Harty is dealing with personal or family issues. Crockett attended part of rookie camp. I’m not sure why he was suspended.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 8:39 am
I’m told Jake Harty is dealing with personal or family issues. Crockett attended part of rookie camp. I’m not sure why he was suspended.
If only part maybe Crockett had to rush home for some reason.
David
Team Captain

Kind of a cool 90 second byte below in which Rick Campbell gets asked about 19-year old receiver Colton Meikle (Kamloops Broncos). He gets a lot of love from the Head Coach. Maybe someone to keep an eye on in a year or two as he's currently a non-counter.

another piece here:

https://cfjctoday.com/2024/05/10/kamloo ... ions-camp/

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Lions' broadcaster Bob Marjanovich made his first appearance at camp Monday, and I saw an outside photographer and a TV news crew, so it's nice to see that not all media are B.C. are focused on the Canucks this month.

Monday's non-padded practice featured a lot of special-teams walkthroughs and four high-tempo team sessions. There were no changes in the first-unit offence or defence. Rookie DB Ronald Kent again lined up at field-side halfback opposite Ciante Evans. Marcus Sayles was in uniform and did some light stretching on the sidelines, so he must be dealing with a nagging injury of some sort. I didn't get an update on his condition but he seemed to be in good spirits.

On the field goal unit, Sean Whyte was purrfect in several attempts from 33 to 37 yards. Global draft pick Carl Meyer was also purrfect in a couple of reps but his kicks sailed 10 yards farther through the end zone.

Travis Fulgham made a nice sideline catch in the first team session. It's a treat to watch his polished route running. He always gets open, with or without the waggle. William Stanback was also prominent, with several big runs. The Lions haven't had a power back in years. Look for a much improved running game this year. Justin McInnis was also the focus of several intermediate and deep passes from Vernon Adams. He made one clutch catch on a curl route in front of Kent but Manny Rugamba knocked down a pass intended for McInnis on a deep corner route. Alex Hollins also had one clutch catch, and Terry Williams made a couple of catches on the second unit.

Practice finished with the first, second and third team offence trying to convert a first down against the corresponding defensive unit. The offence came up short, so they all had to do pushups.

The Lions will hold a double practice Tuesday morning, and will don pads for the first time in one sessions, so expect the tempo to pick up.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Do you have more accurate details on tomorrow's sessions BCF? Is the padded part 2nd? And at what time? I'm heading that way. Sitting in Departure Bay right now about to board the ferry. I'll be overnighting with friends in Merritt then carrying on tomorrow.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 10:32 am
Kind of a cool 90 second byte below in which Rick Campbell gets asked about 19-year old receiver Colton Meikle (Kamloops Broncos). He gets a lot of love from the Head Coach. Maybe someone to keep an eye on in a year or two as he's currently a non-counter.

another piece here:

https://cfjctoday.com/2024/05/10/kamloo ... ions-camp/

DH :cool:
Meikle doesn't get a lot of reps but he has caught everything thrown to him. As Campbell says, he's a project but at age 19 he already has the size to play pro.

The indefinite absence of Jake Harty opens the door for at least one national receiver to make the 46-man roster. Kieran Poissant is best positioned to take the role. Like Colton Meikle and Jevon Cottoy, Poissant was a leading receiver in the BCFC, and he is in his second training camp with the Lions. He has been taking second team reps behind Cottoy. He is much smaller at 6-feet and 175 lbs. but he has good hands, although he dropped the only pass thrown to him in team play today. Rookie second-round draft pick Ezechial Tieide from Concordia is the other contender for that backup national receiver spot. He is bigger at 6-2 and 207 lbs. but has a steep learning curve in his first pro camp. I'll try to keep an eye on him.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 1:01 pm
Do you have more accurate details on tomorrow's sessions BCF? Is the padded part 2nd? And at what time? I'm heading that way. Sitting in Departure Bay right now about to board the ferry. I'll be overnighting with friends in Merritt then carrying on tomorrow.
All I know is it's a double practice from 8:30 to 12 noon. I don't know which half will be padded.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 1:18 pm
Hambone wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 1:01 pm
All I know is it's a double practice from 8:30 to 12 noon. I don't know which half will be padded.
Tks. See you Wed at the latest; maybe for last hour or so tomorrow.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Tuesday was a day for the defence as the Lions donned pads for the first time this week. DBs were jumping routes and the front 7 was shutting down the inside running game of William Stanback and Taquan Mizzell, although Mizzell has one good inside run on the second team. Quarterbacks faced pressure and had difficulty throwing downfield. Most completed passes were quick hitters in the flats. Stanback was a major target in the flats. Garry Peters had a pick-6 on a wide receiver screen from Vernon Adams. Peters had to fight off rookie DB Ronald Kent, who also jumped the route. Kent, who has been taking first-team reps at halfback for the injured Marcus Sayles (tendonitis), also had a knockdown. Lions' 2023 draft pick Charlie Ringland also had an interception. Adams hit Justin McInnis on an intermediate crosser against Ben Hladik in a rare downfield completion. For the second straight day, the offence failed to convert a first down at the end of practice and had to all do pushups.

McInnis, Travis Fulgham and Alex Hollins have been Adams' primary targets so far in camp They're playing positions occupied last year by Dominique Rhymes, Keon Hatcher and Lucky Whitehead, respectively, so it's no surprise that much of the Lions' passing game runs through them. Fulgham had a quiet day Tuesday. Jevon Cottoy caught one pass on a checkdown.

In skelly, Dezmond Patman caught a deep corner route from third-team QB Dakota Prukop, who is having a good camp. Adams connected with Hollins on a deep corner route. Patrice Rene, who is taking first-team reps in the secondary, had an impressive knockdown in the flat against McInnis.

There were no changes in the first-team offence and defence, although Marcus Moore took some first-team reps at DT in place of Christian Covington in team play.

The second-team offence led by QB Jake Dolegala featured Stanley Berryhill and Terry Williams at wide receiver, with Jalon Sample, Kieran Poissant and Jeff Cotton inside, Mizzell at running back, Chris Schleuger and Jean Delance at tackle, Jacky Chen and Tyler Packer at guard and Andrew Peirson at centre.

Sean Whyte was short and wide on his first field goal attempt from 41 yards in team play. Global draft pick Carl Meyer was good from 34 yards. Meyer and veteran Stefan Flintoft both punted well. Riley Picket and Kyle Nelson took first and second reps at long snapper.

Terry Williams remains the team's primary returner. American rookie WRs Berryhill, Edward Lee, Mateo Talalemotu and Devon Reneniel have also taken reps as punt returners.

First-year Lions who have been getting a lot of work on cover teams include Ringland, WR Ezechiel Tieide and DL Daniel Joseph.

The Lions have to cut about 10 players tonight to get down to the league mandate of 75 players, plus non-counters.