Yikes! Lions 2024 potential free agents

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

OV:54-40
Starter

Hambone wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 2:58 pm
I don't know if there's something going on with Riley Pickett but BC just signed long-time veteran NFL LS Kyle Nelson. Maybe it's just a favour for Kyle's old man Mark who was on Campbell's staff in Ottawa from 2014 thru 2019 and guest coached in Kamloops in 2022.

https://3downnation.com/2024/05/02/snap ... le-nelson/

Sort of like Joe Paopao's son getting drafted as a QB by Ottawa when Joe was HC ? Or that DT draft pick Wallace of a couple of years ago ?

Or maybe it's about having another ex-NFL vet around to provide leadership ?
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 10:20 pm
SammyGreene wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 10:01 pm
Hambone wrote:
I don't know if there's something going on with Riley Pickett but BC just signed long-time veteran NFL LS Kyle Nelson. Maybe it's just a favour for Kyle's old man Mark who was on Campbell's staff in Ottawa from 2014 thru 2019 and guest coached in Kamloops in 2022.

I’ve been trying to wrap my head around this one. Nelson is 37 and hasn’t played in 3 years.. I know there were concerns about our long snapper situation going into last season but Pickett acquitted himself well and is still on an entry level salary. Given his age can’t see Nelson being a significant upgrade in downfield coverage either.
I was critical of the Lions for holding open tryouts for long snappers at training camp last year, with snaps sailing in every conceivable direction, but I thought Pickett had a solid season and solidified his position on the roster.
Agreed. At the start of camp with Pickett, Mackie and another player whose name escapes me scattering things around it wasn't looking great. However Pickett just kept improving every day and won the job pulling away. I also thought he was solid all season long. I don't recall if he was also on the KO unit but he also chipped in 7 special teams tackles.

Maybe this is a case of bringing in extra "arms" for training camp so they don't wear Pickett's out if he's got the job locked up? :wink:
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

OV:54-40 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 9:08 am
Hambone wrote:

Or maybe it's about having another ex-NFL vet around to provide leadership ?
Could be something to that. He might be able to coach Pickett up a bit to help improve his game while giving them another option should Pickett get hurt. I can't see them using a PR spot on him but having him a phone call away wouldn't be a bad thing.
don corleone
All Star

Seeing again nothing new with honoring player contracts from the team perspective with several players released across the league despite having a deal in place. Chandler Worthy and David Menard among them.

For a guy like Menard who may have been influenced by a two year deal at age 32 and then after putting in a good year only to be released without just cause is a bit of a kick in the groin area imo. Nice for the guys with the guaranteed deals though to be able to wipe mistakes away with a wiggle of the nose and start again.

No doubt easier when the player is not a local guy.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

don corleone wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 5:18 am
Seeing again nothing new with honoring player contracts from the team perspective with several players released across the league despite having a deal in place. Chandler Worthy and David Menard among them.

For a guy like Menard who may have been influenced by a two year deal at age 32 and then after putting in a good year only to be released without just cause is a bit of a kick in the groin area imo. Nice for the guys with the guaranteed deals though to be able to wipe mistakes away with a wiggle of the nose and start again.

No doubt easier when the player is not a local guy.
It's a business. The players know it and accept it. Every player who signs a contract knows and accepts that they might not be around to see the end of it for a host of reasons. Who's to say BC didn't try to sign him to a 1 year deal last year and he refused to take anything less than 2 years?

The Lions currently have 98 players on their roster. At least 13 of those 98 will get released no later than this coming Saturday. 10 more will get released next Tuesday. Most will be newcomers. Some might be veterans. Every one of them is under a valid contract, just as valid as the contracts of Menard, Worthy, Moxey and others released in recent weeks. Do you think the contracts of those 23 who will be cut before Day 4 of training camp should also be honoured until their conclusion?

If you want to insist on the honouring of all contracts to their end then I trust you accept the CFL will turn into a league where 90% of players are on one year deals making them pending free agents every year. Fans have voiced their opinion loudly that one of their biggest CFL peeves is player turnover. Forcing honouring of all contracts would only serve to shorter deals and acceleration of player turnover.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

My guess is that once the Lions signed Covington they then asked Menard to take a pay cut and he refused, thinking he could get the same or better $ on the open market. Time will tell.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 3:14 pm
My guess is that once the Lions signed Covington they then asked Menard to take a pay cut and he refused, thinking he could get the same or better $ on the open market. Time will tell.
Very good possibility. I saw that BC had also releases Lawrence Woods III. He has now resurfaced with his former team Hamilton. Recent Elks cut Enock Makonzo has also signed with the Ticats.
don corleone
All Star

Hambone wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 11:33 am
It's a business. The players know it and accept it. Every player who signs a contract knows and accepts that they might not be around to see the end of it for a host of reasons. Who's to say BC didn't try to sign him to a 1 year deal last year and he refused to take anything less than 2 years?

The Lions currently have 98 players on their roster. At least 13 of those 98 will get released no later than this coming Saturday. 10 more will get released next Tuesday. Most will be newcomers. Some might be veterans. Every one of them is under a valid contract, just as valid as the contracts of Menard, Worthy, Moxey and others released in recent weeks. Do you think the contracts of those 23 who will be cut before Day 4 of training camp should also be honoured until their conclusion?

If you want to insist on the honouring of all contracts to their end then I trust you accept the CFL will turn into a league where 90% of players are on one year deals making them pending free agents every year. Fans have voiced their opinion loudly that one of their biggest CFL peeves is player turnover. Forcing honouring of all contracts would only serve to shorter deals and acceleration of player turnover.
Agree that it is a business and sports entertainment has led the pack from day one with scammers and connivers making rules to fit their cause as need be. CFL has had it's share and is also well behind other leagues and sports in both player and fan relations.

The honouring of contracts is how things work. No one goes to the game to watch the managers manage and 90% of the players are on one year deals as is.

When a general manager can't plan two years in advance and needs to flush mistakes time and again he is not capable. On the one end they create bidding wars and drive up salaries that clearly are not sustainable given the salary management constraints. Name one that has signed a big deal who has not ben asked to renegotiate. Of course the big re-negotiation trick is to lower tax paid which is sad and unfair to the tax payer and fan. The latest "marketing" loop hole basically says do what ever you want.

As for training camp rosters, giving all a vote on the players contract when half of them won't be there in two weeks is a nice touch for the owners. Withholding money as a threat works every time. Problem is the players have no alternative but to take it. Say a word and your gone. The power the CFL has is few other options.

It is what it is. I say stop rewarding mediocrity. Weed out the bad GM's and you'll get a better game. The different ownership types comes into play as well. Amar Doman has skin in the game. Craig Reynolds does not.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

There are plenty of bad GMs and bad contracts in all sports. I much prefer to see teams be able to flush mistakes than to have to pay millions of dollars a year to overpaid, underperforming players with no-movement clauses in other sports. It's a two-way street. Players have the NFL tryout window, which allows them to walk out on their CFL contract if an NFL offer comes their way, no matter how tenuous.

As for the CFLPA contract, only veterans are voting members. Rookies in camp are excluded. Thankfully, the league and CFLPA successfully negotiated a seven-year deal in 2022 that will keep the peace and the status quo through the 2029 season,. The salary cap increases each year, and players can earn a share of increased league revenues and negotiate promotional and marketing deals in addition to their playing contracts. Both sides seem happy so far.
don corleone
All Star

Deserving shout-out to Manny for an awesome career. Arguably Ring of Honour stuff. Hope we see him again soon and why not on the TSN panel. Sounds like the Bombers are kicking tires on Milt again.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

don corleone wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 2:21 pm
Deserving shout-out to Manny for an awesome career. Arguably Ring of Honour stuff. Hope we see him again soon and why not on the TSN panel. Sounds like the Bombers are kicking tires on Milt again.

On X, the first sightings of Milt Stegall at Bombers camp today:

Locker room Milt:

https://twitter.com/MiltStegallTSN

Ed Tait is posting Stegall Vids and says he's "still got it at 54"

https://twitter.com/EdTaitWFC
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
don corleone
All Star

Toppy Vann wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 11:27 am

Locker room Milt:

Will Nik Lewis be next?
Hambone
Hall of Famer

don corleone wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 2:35 pm
Toppy Vann wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 11:27 am

Locker room Milt:

Will Nik Lewis be next?
Nik's will be a bit busy. He'll be at Stampeders training camp whipping the receivers into shape. He's heading into his 2nd season as Stampeders' Receivers Coach.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 8:13 pm
There are plenty of bad GMs and bad contracts in all sports. I much prefer to see teams be able to flush mistakes than to have to pay millions of dollars a year to overpaid, underperforming players with no-movement clauses in other sports. It's a two-way street. Players have the NFL tryout window, which allows them to walk out on their CFL contract if an NFL offer comes their way, no matter how tenuous.

As for the CFLPA contract, only veterans are voting members. Rookies in camp are excluded. Thankfully, the league and CFLPA successfully negotiated a seven-year deal in 2022 that will keep the peace and the status quo through the 2029 season,. The salary cap increases each year, and players can earn a share of increased league revenues and negotiate promotional and marketing deals in addition to their playing contracts. Both sides seem happy so far.
True that with the players being able to walk for the NFL without honoring the end of their deals. It's a fickle argument to lament GMs not honoring contracts when the CBA forces 3 year deals on rookie Canadian picks and 2 year deals on American rookies. The accusation of 90% 1 year deals rings hollow too, particularly in BC where the majority of extensions and FA signings they've made over the past 2 or 3 years have been for 2 years with a few 3 year deals..
don corleone
All Star

Hambone wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 5:18 pm
Nik's will be a bit busy. He'll be at Stampeders training camp whipping the receivers into shape. He's heading into his 2nd season as Stampeders' Receivers Coach.
Calgary's passing attack underperformed last year but they do have a stacked receiving corp. I have no doubt Nik Lewis is happy where he is.

I'm watching to see if Malik Henry will be back and there is competition for Tre Odums-Duke as well. 6'5" Auden Tate is highly rated and could stick. Maier also won't get the rope he had last year either with Shiltz there now who may be a bit more aggressive as far as pushing the ball downfield.

Good Canadian receiver depth as well. Philpot back will also help.