Micah Awe returns

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

CardiacKid
Legend

Awe agrees to terms with the Leo’s.....

https://www.bclions.com/2018/08/20/awe- ... -bc-lions/
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

:thup: :thup:
Don Miller
Legend

:rockin: He will help as he can move sideline to sideline and is also very good on special teams. We need to be able to get some heat on Collaros on saturday. With him reaching out to the Lions he has shown that is where he wants to play.
Peanut Butter Joe/Willie Show
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

I can only hope he's left his dangerous penchant for headhunting (quickly created something of a reputation around the league as I recall) far far far behind him! That said, despite that unruliness, I liked his motor for sure. So, how does he fit into the mix, with Lokombo and Herdman already in their places? Random thought, but didn't somebody on this forum once, way back when, speculate on Awe being converted to rush end? But whatever, indeed he was a force on special teams.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Short of adjusting the ratio, the easiest way to get Awe in the lineup is by removing rotational DE/LB/ST Ivan McLennan, who has played every game but has only 3 defensive tackles and 3 special teams tackles to show for it. Dyshawn Davis, who lost the starting LB spot to Bo Lokombo, is another option but he leads the Lions with 8 special teams tackles.
CardiacKid
Legend

I wonder if Awe’s signing will put a damper on the Carter speculation? And with his early release from the original contract, is Awe eligible for a pay raise above the standard rookie salary this time around?
Blitz
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:07 pm
Short of adjusting the ratio, the easiest way to get Awe in the lineup is by removing rotational DE/LB/ST Ivan McLennan, who has played every game but has only 3 defensive tackles and 3 special teams tackles to show for it. Dyshawn Davis, who lost the starting LB spot to Bo Lokombo, is another option but he leads the Lions with 8 special teams tackles.
It could be Davis or McLennan but would Gabriel Knapton also be a possibility? He likely has the bigger contract and only has 1 sack.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
chwk_lionsfan
Rookie

Confirmed, Gabe Knapton has been released.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:16 am
B.C.FAN wrote:
It could be Davis or McLennan but would Gabriel Knapton also be a possibility? He likely has the bigger contract and only has 1 sack.
Good call Blitz
Blitz
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:36 am
Blitz wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:16 am
B.C.FAN wrote:
Good call Blitz
Thanks LionKing

Sol E. is still going to be out of action for a few weeks. Will our Leos go with Awe in the middle, replacing Herdman or will they move him into Lokombo's outside linebacker spot? Awe can play inside or outside.

Shaq Johnson has a broken rib so Collins will play in his spot. So, its likely back to four International receivers unless we want to use Vandervoot and its unlikely we will. If so, that changes the ratio on defense.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
CrazyCanuck89
Starter

I wonder if they will throw in some more 3-4 looks with Awe/Davis and Foster on the outside, with Lokombo and Herdman on the inside. If anything it's just more depth at linebacker
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

CardiacKid wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:51 pm
I wonder if Awe’s signing will put a damper on the Carter speculation? And with his early release from the original contract, is Awe eligible for a pay raise above the standard rookie salary this time around?
Unless Hervey and his agent cooked up some sort of side deal whereby if he came back to the CFL only to BC and under the terms of his original deal he's eligible for whatever salary his agent and Hervey agree to. If such a side deal exists I suspect both the CFL and CFLPA would love to hear about it with fines and/or grievances to follow. Otherwise when BC released him they no longer had any rights or obligations to him. He returns as a CFL FA eligible to sign with any team for whatever the market will bear.

Now if the recently re-instated NFL option rule had been in effect at the time he was allowed to go BC would have retained his rights until his original CFL deal would have expired. Upon release by the NFL he would have 10 days to catch on elsewhere or would have to return to the Lions under the terms of that original deal. I don't know how Hervey dealt with those things in Edmonton but typically Wally's approach was to be sitting waiting with an extension offer when such players returned.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Did Davis lose the sport or has Wally been flip-flopping them depending on ratio situation?

Davis is listed as the starter on the depth chart for games 1, 2, 3, 6 & 7. Lokombo is listed as starter for games 4, 5 & 8.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:19 am
Sol E. is still going to be out of action for a few weeks. Will our Leos go with Awe in the middle, replacing Herdman or will they move him into Lokombo's outside linebacker spot? Awe can play inside or outside.
Are there any rumblings on the SolE health front? As Saturday's game is BC's 5th since he was put on the 6G he is eligible to return to practice on Monday and will be eligible to return to action after Ottawa comes to town.

Damn I'll be glad when BC's final bye week is out of the way over the Labour Day weekend. 3 byes in the first 12 weeks of the schedule. I find it hard to stay engaged with so much downtime.
BC 1988
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:55 am
Blitz wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:19 am
Are there any rumblings on the SolE health front? As Saturday's game is BC's 5th since he was put on the 6G he is eligible to return to practice on Monday and will be eligible to return to action after Ottawa comes to town.

Damn I'll be glad when BC's final bye week is out of the way over the Labour Day weekend. 3 byes in the first 12 weeks of the schedule. I find it hard to stay engaged with so much downtime.
Sol-E gives his own update at 13:30 of this clip. "A few more weeks" before he gets the cast off, and they will have more of an idea of the additional recovery time after that.
https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040 ... -1.1160248