2014 free agents

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The league has released a list of 2014 free agents at cfl.ca (Link here). They will become free agents on Feb. 15, 2014, unless they re-sign with their current team before then. The Lions have the shortest list, with just 6 potential FAs, including retired long-snapper Dan McCullough. Calgary has 21 potential FAs on its list and Saskatchewan has 19. Here is the Lions' list:
Josh Bell, DB, Import
Stu Foord, RB, Non-Import
Dan McCullough, Non-Import*
Nick Moore, WR, Import
Steve Myddleton, OL, Import
Keron Williams, DE, Import
Spud387
Champion

Short but 3 huge names on that list:
Josh Bell, DB, Import
Nick Moore, WR, Import
Keron Williams, DE, Import

I know Moore wants to test the NFL waters, but I hope Courtney Taylor really spoke with him not to go on a whim and a gamble and to sign here if he doesn't get serious consideration down south.
The_Pauser
Legend

I would probably take my time with re-signing some of these guys...don't protect them in the expansion draft and tell them that we will re-sign them even if they do get picked. Then it just comes down to hoping the player can stay true to his word.

Some interesting names for other teams who I would like to target include:

Josh Bourke - OL
Shea Emery (NI- BC Boy) - LB
Kenny Mainor - DL
Weston Dressler - SB
Demonte' Bolden - DL
Dimitri Tsoumpas - OL
Roar you Lions roar!
JohnHenry
Champion

Here are some FA who could help the Lions:

MTL: J. Bourke OL; S. Whyte K
HAM: M. Beswick DB; S. Lawrence LB
Sask: A. Hall DL
CAL: D. Tsoumpas OL; M. Price WR; F. Bennet DB
EDM: J. Burnett DB
B.C.: K. Williams DL
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

LU suggests most teams have strategically kept their FA lists long in the belief that the Redblacks won't pick potential FAs in the expansion draft.
What’s startling about this year’s list is its length, and the apparent strategy of every team, it seems, except the Lions when it comes to free agency and the expansion draft. With essentially just five players on the market in a couple of months, the Lions will have the least amount of work later but the most work now trying to decide which players to leave exposed for Ottawa.
CFL free-agent list just eye candy for now
SammyGreene
Team Captain

God I would love to see the Lions sign Craig Butler to start at safety.
swervynmerv
Legend

SammyGreene wrote:God I would love to see the Lions sign Craig Butler to start at safety.
Other than re-signing Nick Moore, this should be the top priority signing. Butler at safety improves our secondary and overall defence immensely.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:God I would love to see the Lions sign Craig Butler to start at safety.
Butler played LB for the Riders this year. I think he was more effective there than at safety. He was one of two non-import starters at LB. The Lions haven't had anyone capable of playing regularly at that position and don't have a vacancy anyway with Elimimian and Bighill both all-stars.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Butler played LB for the Riders this year. I think he was more effective there than at safety. He was one of two non-import starters at LB. The Lions haven't had anyone capable of playing regularly at that position and don't have a vacancy anyway with Elimimian and Bighill both all-stars.
B.C.FAN I think he is a tweener at 6-foot-2 196 lbs. Riders did make good use of him at LB this year after moving Brackenridge to safety. But still think he would be a massive upgrade on Larose at safety and is better at the position than at least Muamba and Eric Fraser. Only 3 years in the league and already has 11 interceptions plus he delivers some big hits. The kid is a stud. Might be a mute point, however, as Butler is just 25 and has to be high on the Riders priority list.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Josh Bell showed promise, but had a rough playoff game...if he's back, its continuity, youth, and he should get better...

Moore is a key...we will see what happens....

As for the rest, including K. Williams, they don't need to be resigned...we need to get younger and faster...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Would love to see the Lions sign Josh Bourke and Dimitri Tsoumpas
David
Team Captain

MexicoLionFan wrote:Josh Bell showed promise, but had a rough playoff game...if he's back, its continuity, youth, and he should get better...

As for the rest, including K. Williams, they don't need to be resigned...we need to get younger and faster...]
I'll cut Josh Bell some slack - he suffered a concussion against Calgary on October 11 and I don't think he was ever quite the same. He was playing lights out prior to being injured. I am also a little more bullish on Keron Williams. While he had an 'off' year (which could have more to do with the failed defensive tackle experiment), he's still only 1 year removed from being the league's sack leader, and he's still only 29 at the start of next season. Too early to give up on him.

I really don't think there's much chance at all of signing Butler:
That's where Butler finds himself. The London, Ontario native could certainly be tempted to play closer to home, much like a former receiver who left for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. Butler, however, was adamant on the Green Zone earlier this season that he wanted to return to the Green and White. He stayed on that message this week.

"I want to be a Rider. I think they know that," said Butler. "I'm optimistic that we can make it work."
SOURCE: TheGreenZone (11/28/13)

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
notahomer
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:LU suggests most teams have strategically kept their FA lists long in the belief that the Redblacks won't pick potential FAs in the expansion draft.
What’s startling about this year’s list is its length, and the apparent strategy of every team, it seems, except the Lions when it comes to free agency and the expansion draft. With essentially just five players on the market in a couple of months, the Lions will have the least amount of work later but the most work now trying to decide which players to leave exposed for Ottawa.
CFL free-agent list just eye candy for now
Thanks for posting B.C. FAN. Its weird how these strategies may work. I guess I get it, but then you are almost 100% certain you will lose a guy you had under contract.

I wonder if any GM's (it would be a classless move, IMO) will say, "Yah we lost him in the expansion draft but we were looking at releasing him anyways, the RedBlacks did us a favour". Can't see it happening but who knows.....

I am not too concerned we are the oddball in not having a massive FA list like other teams. I guess we'll see how it all turns out next month.......
South Pender
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wouldn't one possibility--if we could get Butler, which is a big if--be to make Butler the SAM backer and move Banks back to DHB, where, in my opinion, he'd be more effective? This would free us up to play an import at safety.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

A team only looses 2 NI and 1 I in the expansion draft so I don't mind the fact that the Lions have a small FA list. Lions will probably protect Haidara and loose Ianuzzi and possibly P. Jackson or maybe Araki. Maybe loose a veteran D lineman as well. No problems here as far as I am concerned.