How do you view the season?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Big Time
Champion

Whenever a team loses in the playoffs, you inevitably see messages on the forum from people taking consolation in the season. It's the usual finding a silver lining on a disappointing finish.

I'm curious how Lions fans see this season. I know it will sound harsh but if I were to describe this season in two words it would be TOTAL FAILURE.

This was a team that had everyone going for it. The best QB in the league. A good crop of young and veteran receivers. A secondary that was deeper than last year. They got all of their NFL tryouts back. They had a big home crowd and were the defending champs. So does that all get washed out because of one bad game in the playoffs?

YES.

I don't want to hear how people will say it was a great season. I don't want to hear people have pride in first place. This isn't Saskatchewan where success is spelled "THIRD PLACE". This isn't Edmonton where success is spelled "FIRE TILLMAN". This isn't Toronto where success is spelled "SLIGHTLY LESS EMPTY STADIUM". And this isn't Winnipeg where success is spelled "GET BUCK THROUGH A FULL GAME".

This is BC. And here, success is spelled "GREY CUP CHAMPION". Everything else is failure.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

There are plenty of accessible prisms through which one can view a season. But I'm going to agree with Dante Marsh. This was a wasted season. With our personnel group where it was, with the type of team we were for most of the season, to put in a performance like this is an immense disappointment. Even worse, a lot of pieces and parts are likely to be disassembled and rebuilt, so this team is likely to take a step back over the next season or two.

It feels, as it has for most of the year, like 2007. A wasted opportunity.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Big Time wrote:...if I were to describe this season in two words it would be TOTAL FAILURE.
No argument here.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Welcome to the world of being a HC Mike Benevides...you and your team were SCHOOLED today by a better coaching staff, that had their team ready to play championship football...

2 words...

TOTAL FAILURE...

And so was Travis Lulay's season...to lay such a stinker a the end of the line, was not worthy of an MOP award...the voters got it right when they selected Cornish over his 2 Lion opponents...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

It's too soon to make snap judgments. The Lions lost to a hot team in a game that came down to three big plays. They thought they could get one more championship season out of their veteran roster. It was a resonable risk to take and it almost worked. In the end their age caught up to them.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:It's too soon to make snap judgments. The Lions lost to a hot team in a game that came down to three big plays. They thought they could get one more championship season out of their veteran roster. It was a resonable risk to take and it almost worked. In the end their age caught up to them.
And yet, your last three sentences constituted a snap judgement. And a pretty good one, to boot.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I agree with other posters: Total Failure.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:It's too soon to make snap judgments. The Lions lost to a hot team in a game that came down to three big plays. They thought they could get one more championship season out of their veteran roster. It was a resonable risk to take and it almost worked. In the end their age caught up to them.

The game was much more than just 3 plays...Calgary's coaching staff ensured that their players had PEAK opportunities to make plays all game long, and their HEALTHY roster executed...our coaches gave our players limited opportunities in which to excel and they rarely executed...

More than anything else BCFAN, Calgary's QB was healthy, untouched, and executed...our QB was NOT healthy, and did NOT execute...and in the CFL that is how you lose football games...

Kudos to Calgary because they showed up to play smash mouth football today and we didn't....

Albert Einstein
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I for one am not going to let one loss in the playoffs take away from the enjoyment of watching the lions this year.

They entertained me with their play, lifted me up with their wins, and that to me does not equal total failure.

I beleive if they played calgary again next week, they would have a good chance of winning. Today just happened.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:There are plenty of accessible prisms through which one can view a season. But I'm going to agree with Dante Marsh. This was a wasted season. With our personnel group where it was, with the type of team we were for most of the season, to put in a performance like this is an immense disappointment. Even worse, a lot of pieces and parts are likely to be disassembled and rebuilt, so this team is likely to take a step back over the next season or two.

Wasted is a good term given how poised this team was for a repeat win at the GC.

BUT lots of very good positives for the future. I am not so sure that if the Lions lose some of those key parts that they can't still come back and compete again but it will be tough next year as the Riders and Stamps for sure will be strong and if the Esks pull a rabbit out on QB they could be a decent western team.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
MexicoLionFan
Legend

KnowItAll wrote:I for one am not going to let one loss in the playoffs take away from the enjoyment of watching the lions this year.

They entertained me with their play, lifted me up with their wins, and that to me does not equal total failure.

I beleive if they played calgary again next week, they would have a good chance of winning. Today just happened.

That's a good view point KIA...and perhaps the Lion's would win if they played again next week...but here's the thing...today was the date of the game, and it was a do or die affair so there is no next week, and right now it stings a little bit seeing how from top to bottom we didn't show up today and Calgary did...

Albert Einstein
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote:
cromartie wrote:There are plenty of accessible prisms through which one can view a season. But I'm going to agree with Dante Marsh. This was a wasted season. With our personnel group where it was, with the type of team we were for most of the season, to put in a performance like this is an immense disappointment. Even worse, a lot of pieces and parts are likely to be disassembled and rebuilt, so this team is likely to take a step back over the next season or two.

Wasted is a good term given how poised this team was for a repeat win at the GC.

BUT lots of very good positives for the future. I am not so sure that if the Lions lose some of those key parts that they can't still come back and compete again but it will be tough next year as the Riders and Stamps for sure will be strong and if the Esks pull a rabbit out on QB they could be a decent western team.

No matter how old this team is Toppy, I believe you are right...we will be right there for another GC next year if Travis Lulay is kept healthy...in the CFL a talented QB who rarely turns the ball over, is a game changer and a great evener...Lulay was NOT healthy for today, and it showed...Kevin Glenn, unfortunately, was...

Albert Einstein
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:I for one am not going to let one loss in the playoffs take away from the enjoyment of watching the lions this year.

I enjoyed this year. Nice team. Lots of good guys. Great character.

Disappointing finish. Not a real surprise to me.

I've rated Calgary highly most of the year, if not all year. Loaded with talent. Got some head cases, but even those guys can play.

Hufnagel has been building, trying to get back to the Cup. Dickenson has settled in. They are younger than us. Faster at receiver. Stronger running game, with Cornish's size advantage over Andrew (who provides great running, and receiving versatility for us). Strong defence, pass rush, coverage. Solid overall team.

From the start we have had huge O LIne problems all year.

Geroy and Arland getting hurt might have been expected, with their age. They no longer get great separation, or open deep.

Khalif's troubles threw off our D Line.

Solo's return threw off our 6 man D Line rotation.

Plus being #1 all year makes you a target. Calgary obviously had no fear of us, and it showed. They were confident.

We should be able to regroup quickly.

Needs ... Non imports for the O Line. Beg, borrow or steal, but we are in trouble there. Matt Norman :thup: Kirby Fabien? I can't help but think it might be time for Kelly Bates to take over coaching the O Line. It's not just the coaching, but the empty cupboard after 10 years under Dan, after all those drafts, and years to develop and stock pile.

Youth and speed at receiver.

At least one more non import D Lineman to support Westerman, who has been as good as one could have hoped.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

And a kicker with a stronger leg and consistency
rb
Champion

Calling 13-6 a "total failure" is negative hyperbole.